• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

941g 16v turbo build

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaninwa

The Beloved Oarnge Juice
300+ Club
0409001801.jpg

Well thats the code name for my newest project. Ill start putting all my tinker builds here. I had a few more parts show up on Friday and one package that should have....but will be here Monday. Thats whats starting this thread and what I have been keeping under wraps for a while now.

I am intergrating a new engine management onto my 940. Ultimately Im not happy with LH and need something I can program. To keep the long story short, my dyno tuner knows Mitsu.....and I know the Mitsu world can really make big power. So ended up ripping into a 1g harness from a 1st gen Eclipse. Alot of late night tweakin to get the harness all buttoned up and the decision to run the latest V3 ECMlink http://www.ecmtuning.com/ , im very close to getting the current motor running on the V3 before the 16v Turbo swap.

Heres a quick summary....I chose to run the full version. http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/prodcompare

Im diggin the anitlag....dual table and e85 option, along with stock maf...gm maf, but Ill be running SD and that gets tuned using the stock maf....rather cool

0315001728.jpg

I only had to mod the cam angle sensor onto the Volvo dist....and rework the Mitsu IAC so i can still run the 960tb.

Ill have more info on my build....but all things are coming together. Ill toss up some random pics of what I have so far.

Dales brakes and adapters
0313001743.jpg

Looking to max out the ported (alot) evo3 16g. English has one running 456whp. Heres the start to my hotside.
0312002045.jpg

Goodies from RSI and Ace stainless
0310001713.jpg

And my on the cheap timing belt setup.
0309001643-1.jpg

Im working on a straight, tapered runner 16v intake with a target power of 7000rpm, the dyno will tell, but the intake program calls out for that.

Well see......I have some other intake obligations to finish up on, then its no holds bard to get a Motor in for the IPD garage sale.......Thanks Cameron for the challenge!

Last edited:
I got some more goodies mocked up today.....workin on a merge collector, my tapered runners for the 16V sheetmetal intake and a closeup of the ECMlink V3 chip.

0315001744.jpg

downsized_0315001739.jpg

0315001730.jpg

Go man go! Looks like the PNW is about to get another addition our ever-growing Boxy-but-badass list! Looking forward to watching your fabrication progress.

The UPS guy brought my water pump today.....hopefully my melling pump tomorrow...

0316001652.jpg

fun, fun, fun !!

That ECMTuning seems cool, can the donor ECU's be bought cheaply??

I scored my Eprom ecu on Ebay for 120 shipped.....you can get non eprom for about 40 bucks and have it prommed for 165.00. There out there, just need to search for them. I looked at overall and total costs in alot of units......and even if you ran the lite version, your still way ahead for a factory tuned, now programmable engine management. I scored the entire harness with sensors for 100 dollars at a local yard....and then sold the injectors, so it was a win win deal.

Thanks guys....I love building and tinkering on things......I was welding on the 8v intakes tonight and had a chance to shave my valve cover. I have a painter friend who is big into Minitrucks and i asked him to graphic the cover.....not sure what Ill get....Ill repost when i get it back.

0316002133.jpg

yea....going the dsm route. i have seen alot of power made with these units....and with a factory tune and the programmabilty, its a win...win. i like the fact that cold...idle....decel stuff is all pretuned. it will be a turn key deal. add in that its now laptapable on the dyno and we can see what timing changes do and so forth. its a wasted spark design so going to cop is no problem......and the injection is actually sequential, the ecu has 4 outputs. we can control each injectors dead time.
plus you can run any tb that has a potentiamter on it....so i can keep my 960tb.
theres alot of built in features and the code is solid.

one neat feature is the ability to run speed density and the capabilty to tune that sd table with a maf sensor. should be really close once i switch over.

something to tryout.

modding the dist took about 2 hours, and i have about 15 hours weeding and relacing the harness.

im really anxious to get it on there. im thinkin 2 more saturdays and ill get it running the 8v.

I got the rest of the runners welded up today...have the velocity stack section ready to cut out. Ill do this later tonight after I get some progress done of the current order of 8v intakes.

0317001801.jpg

odd way to mke a collector. u can pm meifu want and ican show u my jig,. its sosimple ud cry. no need to do it all in pieces like that. heres the inside ofmy collector.
000_1570.jpg

When I get ready to do more, Ill get with you....I have few parts cut and didnt take very long since i have some tube templates.

Well today, im headed down to the garage to work on the 8v fuel rails, but was able to get this accomplished. Just need to buiild a plenum wall and tack it all up....and then wait for the rest of the parts from RSI to show so i can assemble shortblock.

0318001700.jpg

Not much to report this weekend.....i got my pistons, pins, cams, and bearings off to Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA to get a little slickem coating.....I got my 8v intake manifold batch all done so I can start to concentrate on this build a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back