• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Transmission options for reliability and longevity

I don?t think the AW70 is a weak unit. I contend that clean fluid, changed frequently and a cooler are key to long life.

We've had a bunch of AW70s in 240s along with one M46, one AW55, and one AW71. No troubles* with the AW70 on cars with 375K miles, and I'm not a fluid changer unless it looks sick. My guess/suspicion/hunch is those that fail may have experienced a leak of engine coolant into the ATF. That thin barrier in the radiator is easy to disturb especially when DIY folks get advice on the web to use the retainer nuts as counter holds when breaking loose the cooler line nuts. Maybe better advice would be, as you say, a cooler. Not that I practice it.

I drive distance on the interstates with these old 240's, never seeing another for thousands of miles. My worries have not yet been with the automatic transmissions.

*aside from the usual kickdown cable failures, overdrive solenoid failures, and tailshaft bushings...

One thing to consider it that an auto will likely be better for soft roading sorta stuff, which you seem to enjoy. A 3.73 rear with M47 has a fairly low first gear, but after slipping the clutch up a few rocks it'll be smoking...

One thing to consider it that an auto will likely be better for soft roading sorta stuff, which you seem to enjoy. A 3.73 rear with M47 has a fairly low first gear, but after slipping the clutch up a few rocks it'll be smoking...

Yeah, I was worried about that too... The car is used 98% paved roads, 2% non-paved, so I figured it wouldn't be too much an issue.

Right now the game plan I guess is gonna be to source an AW71L nationally (since I can't locate any locally), ship it via freight, install, test, and rebuild based on outcome. The goal is to give myself enough time to enact some sort of plan B (rebuild?) should the aw71L be a dud

Lockers are the devil unless you have 410s.

Interesting insight. Just not enough torque at the lower RPMs when locked?
Think having a T cam would help?

Just how much RPM drop does a locker create anyways? I think I'm at about 2700RPM going 75 mph right now I believe.

Think it would really drag me down going 2500 RPM @ 75mph?

Please do your research before you make a big mistake.

At risk of repeating myself:

Buy a known good AW71 from Roy and send it.

And yes AW70s are weak when the neighbor's truck pushed the gold car when parked it went out and I put an AW 71 from a 240 Turbo in it with a fresh bushing and rear seal, no more problems after that.

Hot weather tends to kill them too, so a cool weather PNW transmission is your best bet.

Please do your research before you make a big mistake.

At risk of repeating myself:

Buy a known good AW71 from Roy and send it.

And yes AW70s are weak when the neighbor's truck pushed the gold car when parked it went out and I put an AW 71 from a 240 Turbo in it with a fresh bushing and rear seal, no more problems after that.

Hot weather tends to kill them too, so a cool weather PNW transmission is your best bet.

I?m listening. AW71 from Roy. No locker.

Gonna be spending a week or so in BLM 1000 miles from home. If we get stranded or have a breakdown, we'd probably be alright, but I'll have a very upset fiancee who will never let me forget how I messed up our honeymoon because I picked a beater transmission to put in my car

Rent a car like a grownup

Never heard of that transmission before

The 95 AW71 either L or not. Larger tailshaft bearing which I believe is bulletproof.

TOO MUCH fear on TB about the 71L units and the 3.73 ratio. My son has run this combo with his turbo 89 245 for 4+ years with nothing but joy and it knocks down 26mpg on the highway.

As has been stated ad nauseam here, lowest mile AW71, with an oil & filter change, throw in the accumulator mod for firm shifts. A 71L with matching convertor if you can find it....... reliable service for years to come.

Do test fluid test before purchase......if it smells burnt and is black, move on.

The 95 AW71 either L or not. Larger tailshaft bearing which I believe is bulletproof.

TOO MUCH fear on TB about the 71L units and the 3.73 ratio. My son has run this combo with his turbo 89 245 for 4+ years with nothing but joy and it knocks down 26mpg on the highway.

As has been stated ad nauseam here, lowest mile AW71, with an oil & filter change, throw in the accumulator mod for firm shifts. A 71L with matching convertor if you can find it....... reliable service for years to come.

Do test fluid test before purchase......if it smells burnt and is black, move on.

Yeah, Roy's sending me a 93-95 aw71 with roller bearing tailshaft

I'm able to get 26+ mpg currently without the L... maybe in the future I'll reconsider.

Will definitely be addig a cooler. Considering accumulator mod as well, but maybe with a larger gap than what the +T guys do.

On an NA car the accumulator mod is unnecessary.
It is more for keeping those WOT shifts from smoking things.
I am imagining that you're not much of a WOT shift kinda guy Ian.

On an NA car the accumulator mod is unnecessary.
It is more for keeping those WOT shifts from smoking things.
I am imagining that you're not much of a WOT shift kinda guy Ian.

Lol how did you guess

I have an 850T for those types of shenanigans

If it will enhance longevity by any stretch I'll consider doing it. If not, maybe I'll just leave it

Back