home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
ovlov760
Board Member

Default P80 tailgate repair kit

I've tried a couple of these kits from ipd and fcp but they never last long. If the cover has to come off you can kiss a few of the plastic clips goodbye. Did any company ever produce a sturdier set of fasteners for the tailgate cover?
ovlov760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov760 View Post
I've tried a couple of these kits from ipd and fcp but they never last long. If the cover has to come off you can kiss a few of the plastic clips goodbye. Did any company ever produce a sturdier set of fasteners for the tailgate cover?
I haven't looked at their kits, but, are they the same thing that Volvo has? The Volvo kit has metal reinforcement pieces.

Jordan
Old 07-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
ovlov760
Board Member

It's the plastic bits that pop into those metal reinforced holes I have issues with.
ovlov760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:09 AM   #4
stove
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov760 View Post
It's the plastic bits that pop into those metal reinforced holes I have issues with.
You are doing it wrong...

You unclip the bottom edge of the panel, those smaller clips (4) do sometimes break. Then you slide the panel upward and the big clips slide out of the door frame and stay attached to the panel. You then give the big clips a 1/4 turn and slip them out of the panel, insert the clips, the correct way back into the door frame, do what you came here to do, and you are now set to gently re-engage the panel into the clips once everything is lined up. ZERO palm-bashing required, when everything is right. Make sure your GENUINE STABILUS support "shocks" are up to snuff too, the #2 reason the panels get wasted.
stove is offline   Reply With Quote