home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #1
Frank_Rizzo
Board Member

Default 1984 U.S. market Volvo 244 w/ four headlights.

So this is a question in two parts:

1. Is it possible or advisable to swap out the four headlights for the 2 large headlight European configuration?

2. What about replacing the front headlights with two clear low beam headlights and two amber-tinted inside high beam headlights, as some hobbyists do? Are these easy to find and easy to do?

Something like this? https://i.pinimg.com/originals/57/ac...b4e97b5e14.jpg

What do you say?
Frank_Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #2
James M
Bored member

1. Probably a lot more work then it's worth, gotta deal with the difference in hoods, grille and maybe core support
2. Change the light as if it was dead, but with a yellow one
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:06 AM   #3
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

I think since OP has a 1984 model he can swap a decent variety of options in. But finding the older style ecodes here is hard/expensive.

http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...93#post6085393

You might like dual rounds as well. You'd need the matching grille and probably hood too for them to look 100% normal.

http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/sh...d.php?t=332416
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:39 AM   #4
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo View Post
So this is a question in two parts:

1. Is it possible or advisable to swap out the four headlights for the 2 large headlight European configuration?

What do you say?

Yes but the early 'TV' screen E codes are very rare and expensive since they were a two year only thing and they are 40+ years old now.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

To just make the four headlight system better. You can use European replacement H4 for the outer lights and European H1 high beam headlights. For yellow you buy the French spec version and they will be yellow glass or for the H1 you can buy a yellow bulb. I recommend that you also buy a wiring harness upgrade to handle the slightly more powerful H4 and H1 lighting. Plus there will be less voltage drop so the lights will be brighter.

As mentioned, the early ecodes will fit but are harder to find and more costly than the type of ecode for the 86 and newer design.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

BTW I recommend using the Hella or Cibie versions of those replacement headlights. They are about the best you can do with the aftermarket halogen light housings. They will last a long time.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #7
Frank_Rizzo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
To just make the four headlight system better. You can use European replacement H4 for the outer lights and European H1 high beam headlights. For yellow you buy the French spec version and they will be yellow glass or for the H1 you can buy a yellow bulb. I recommend that you also buy a wiring harness upgrade to handle the slightly more powerful H4 and H1 lighting. Plus there will be less voltage drop so the lights will be brighter.

As mentioned, the early ecodes will fit but are harder to find and more costly than the type of ecode for the 86 and newer design.
Speaking of the wiring harness upgrade, what one should I get? How could I tell if the wiring harness is "upgraded" from the options available when searching for compatible Volvo 240 headlight wiring harnesses?
Frank_Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #8
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

If you are going to buy a premade harness, ebay and summit racing have been my sources. Ebay was the cheapest and has worked ok. But the harness wasn't as nice as just going one more tier in price to the $40-50 level for the harness. You buy the four headlight system harness. Outer is for H4 and the inner headlight connectors will be for H1 for highbeams. You can go to the daniel stern lighting page and see how it's wired there. The harness can be used on the US four headlight system if you move a couple of the wires in the connector for the high/low beam light.
If you want to do it in steps. Then I would just buy the H4 outer headlights and the harness. You don't have to change the wiring and it will work fine with US type or H1 highbeams so you can get the euro high beams later or if you are happy leave the US ones in there.

I recall I had to lengthen grounds, and mount the two relays which come with a bracket. I mounted it on the inside of the sheet metal for the radiator opening a few inches down from the latch panel. There was already a little hole there to mount the bracket. The harness plugs into one of your existing headlight connectors to trigger high/low beams.

The nicest harness I've seen is the one from wagonmeister. It's not a tbot budget prices but is a truly fine looking product made with quality parts.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #9
white855T
Board Member

I'm doing this front end. It does require changing fenders. The headlights are the 86+ e codes(81+ for euro models). Also need headlight trim to fill in top space of headlight & hood.

white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #10
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo View Post
Speaking of the wiring harness upgrade, what one should I get? How could I tell if the wiring harness is "upgraded" from the options available when searching for compatible Volvo 240 headlight wiring harnesses?
https://www.wagonmeister.com/highvol...lightharnesses

good stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Well keep us updated on how your dumbass plan goes.
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
TestPoint
Board Member

Here is my headlight wiring upgrade. Got about 0.5v more to the lamps themselves.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...95&postcount=6

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #12
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

never mind

Last edited by dl242gt; 07-16-2020 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: wrong information
Old 07-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #13
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Find a pair of 1979-80 240 rectangular H4 E-codes. They drop in place of the dual rectangular 4x6 stuff. They are hard to find in the US and Canada, but there are people in Europe who have them.

1985 U.S. market model 245.

Lit up...

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46 - soon to be for sale.

@john242ti on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #14
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

E-codes in both styles. As above, get a set like the blue car has.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote