home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #1
Skyshadow
Board Member

Default Inline fuel pump help

So I have a 1992 940 turbo (just under 170k) with a decent amount of mods done to it. 16t angled flange at 16psi with 3 in dp, blue volvo injectors, 012 maf with 3 inch intake, aw71 accumulator mod, kl racing intercooler, Tlao fuel and ignition chips... Etc.. I also have a kl racing T2 cam I'm going to put in it soon and eventually I plan on going even bigger on the turbo to either a 20t, k24, or maybe an eBay china boi.

Anyways, So my car has always randomly had an extended crank when starting it cold. I typically crank the car for a second, turn it off and then crank it again and it starts right up and runs fine (barring once in an extremely rare while it will stall when driving coming to a complete stop or sitting idling and I'll be able to instantly restart it without trouble.) But it pulls like a train under WOT which is why I never considered the pump to be a problem. But the other day while driving I started feeling a few dips in power while slowly getting up to speed on a road, then about 30 seconds later car lost almost all power and literally wouldn't go past idle rpm while I was driving. I pulled over and as soon as I did it stalled and wouldn't restart (I could no longer hear the inline pump priming when I turned the key.) I ****ed around with a few things for about five minutes including wiggling the fuel pump relay and then it eventually restarted. So I turned around and headed home and once home I replaced the fuel pump relay with a known good spare I had just for good measure. I've driven it a bit since and it hasn't happened again but I still feel like I should replace the original in-line pump just for good measure. There in lies my problem:

From my research on rockauto and fcp there seems to be a lot of different in line pumps available. I wanted to go OEM if I could but the bosch unit that fcp sells seems like it would fit but it's stated that it's for base model cars only, not turbo. I thought the pumps were the same between the turbo and NA cars? The only other option i found is from Walbro on their website part number GSL391 (58psi and min GPH 38) and that says it will drop in fit 92-95 turbo cars. I'm wondering what my best option is which is the whole point of me posting here and asking you guys.

Also from my understanding and research unless I'm going with an absolute massive turbo I shouldn't have to change from the factory fuel pumps to something bigger, which I guess is deleting the inline pump and upgrading the in tank one.

So anyways, that's where I'm at. I'm hoping to get some advice to aid me in my decision. Thanks guys!
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
TestPoint
Board Member

Resolve the question of the tank lift pump before you start re-engineering the rest of the system. The car will run without the tank pump as long as you have more than half a tank of gas but it will do wonky things. Below half a tank it will do really wonky things.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #3
Skyshadow
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
Resolve the question of the tank lift pump before you start re-engineering the rest of the system. The car will run without the tank pump as long as you have more than half a tank of gas but it will do wonky things. Below half a tank it will do really wonky things.
I didn't say anything about the in tank pump having problems. It was the main under the car pump that I wasn't hearing come on when my car had the major issues on the road that day that I described.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

Do you know if the intank pump is working? The kind of issue you describe can be from a failed intank pump. That's why the above post questioned that as do I. The inline pump not coming on was probably the relay. They fail quite often. The turbo does use the same inline pump as the n/a cars. So the stock bosch pump is fine even with your mods. Other things to consider is a fuel system pressure check to make sure nothing is going on with the pressure regulator.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #5
Skyshadow
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Do you know if the intank pump is working? The kind of issue you describe can be from a failed intank pump. That's why the above post questioned that as do I. The inline pump not coming on was probably the relay. They fail quite often. The turbo does use the same inline pump as the n/a cars. So the stock bosch pump is fine even with your mods. Other things to consider is a fuel system pressure check to make sure nothing is going on with the pressure regulator.
Oh good to know the NA and turbo use the same bosch pump. I'm assuming I should go with that one instead of the Walbro?

As for the in tank pump I was just assuming it was working as the in line pump was the one that wasn't coming on or priming. I had felt the relay clicking when I had that issue on the side of the road but even though it was clicking the pump still wouldn't prime. Then a few minutes later it did and my car started fine. When I got come I still replaced the relay just in case which is why I'm worried it could be the pump.

Is the in tank pump a pain to source parts for and to replace?
Old 05-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
hiperfauto
The Librarian

Both the in tank and in line pumps for a B230FT in a '92 940 are different from those used with a B230F the same year according to the parts catalog.

These are the turbo pumps.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...l-pump-3517845

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...c=cT0xMzM2Njc5
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #7
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

Thanks for correcting me, Ian. Guess, I'm stuck in kjet land.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:06 PM   #8
hiperfauto
The Librarian

I wasn't sure either so I had to look it up.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:19 PM   #9
Skyshadow
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
I wasn't sure either so I had to look it up.
Thanks for the correction.

Would I be ok in using one of these pumps too?

https://walbrofuelpumps.com/volvo-94...-cyl-2-3l.html
Old 05-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #10
hiperfauto
The Librarian

It says it fits but I don't have any experience with that pump.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #11
Skyshadow
Board Member

Ok so I had a bit of time to myself today to actually play with the car a bit and I think I actually figured out the problem (which is absolutely ****ing stupid in my opinion) So when I put in blue volvo hi impedance injectors I obviously had to bypass the resistor pack. Instead of cutting mine up I soldered together some wires and put them in spade connectors, plugged it in and never thought twice about it. Well today I noticed if I wiggle or push on that plug and harness in the right way the car will bog randomly and then typically stall. I even had a time that it wouldn't restart until I pushed the spade connectors hard back into the harness. It seems they're just not making tight enough contact or something. So that begs my next question, does anyone have a spare resistor pack that I could buy so I can clip the plug end off of it and solder the wires together to replace the crappy one that I made?

Last edited by Skyshadow; 05-29-2021 at 04:00 PM..