home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-18-2021, 04:07 PM   #1
Blue244

Question B230f lh 2.2 to lh 2.4

Hi everybody

I`m new in here and i`m from Switzerland, my english is not perfect but it will work

So, i spent the last few days with reading nearly all posts about the first thing taht i will do, the Lh 2.2 to 2.4 swap. I got the greenbooks with all wire diagrams that are needed for the swap, and i allready meassured both wire harnesses out with the multimeter. The car is an 88 244 B230f with lh2.2, the lh2.4 harness is from a 93 245 B230f. Both cars have no abs and no ac.

I pulled the harness for the lh 2.4 by myself, but i have still questions about some wires;

ECU Pin 14 green cable pressure switch from ac and ECU pin 15 greyred cable for ac relais, the previous car had no ac but i can`t remeber how these two were wired up, am i right that i just can delete thes two wires, the ecu don`t needs this infromation to run?

ECU pin 34 blackblue cable for speedo signal, i read that if i don`t hook it up it will idle hig sometimes but it will run at least. To wire it up i need an electric Speedo which my car haves, the question is now the old car got an 48 tooth cage and switch in the diff for the speedo signal, my has the older 12 tooth cage, can i just wire it up on the speedo or will this not work as it should? I also got a wire diagramm from 1989 where pin 34 just is wired up to ground, what should i do?

And the last one

ECU pin 30 pink cable, is it right that this goes to the starter 50+?
Blue244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
Blue244

Wha has the first answer been deleted?
Old 07-20-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
bobxyz
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue244 View Post
ECU Pin 14 green cable pressure switch from ac and ECU pin 15 greyred cable for ac relais, the previous car had no ac but i can`t remeber how these two were wired up, am i right that i just can delete thes two wires, the ecu don`t needs this infromation to run?
Yes, you can delete them. The ECU uses them to increase the idle speed when the AC is running.

Quote:
ECU pin 34 blackblue cable for speedo signal, i read that if i don`t hook it up it will idle hig sometimes but it will run at least. To wire it up i need an electric Speedo which my car haves, the question is now the old car got an 48 tooth cage and switch in the diff for the speedo signal, my has the older 12 tooth cage, can i just wire it up on the speedo or will this not work as it should?
Your speedo needs to match the 12 tooth or 48 tooth cage. There will be a number on the speedo like K9800, K10042 or 4x bigger, K39200, K40168 (in the USA). This is the number of axle revs per mile times the number of teeth. For example, a standard 205/60R15 tire gets 817 revs/mile. Multiply this by the differential pulses per axle rev (12 or 48 ABS), and you get the K number: 817 * 12 = 9804. The Kxxxxx numbers are different in Europe due to km/hour versus miles/hour

The VSS signal is also available on the back of the speedo - it's the two side-by-side 1/4" spade connectors, often with a piece of clear hose around them. If you have a LH2.4 dash harness, then the VSS signal will already go over to the extra 9-pin/11-pin/24-pin ECU connector.

Quote:
ECU pin 30 pink cable, is it right that this goes to the starter 50+?
This goes to the cabin side of the park/neutral interlock switch, not to the starter side. The signal is used with an automatic transmission to detect when the car is in gear (not P/N). When in gear, the idle speed is increased slightly.

This thread may help too: LH2.4 Install/Conversion. Just a few wires to make it run
Old 07-21-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
Blue244

Thank you, so i will delete the ac wires.

The speedo wire; my 244 runs with 12 tooth and matching electrical speedo (from stock) but it‘s lh 2.2, i exactly know which connectors behind the speedo you mean, mine have an yellow hose around it. I understand what you mean with the revs per mile, so as my car runs with 12tooth gear and matchind speedo from stock i could just take the signal from the connector of the back from speedo, or do i need the revs from a 48tooth axle/speedo, or doesnt makes it a difference, thats the exact question?

Makes sense for the automatics, but i will post a harnes diagramm where it goes to 50+ starter, but the one with the p/n in automatics seems to make more sens than the starter

I‘ll check the tread which you put the link in.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:10 PM   #5
Blue244

look at the tread behind the link @bobxyz the first image( second post ) pin 30 goes to the starter
Old 07-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #6
bobxyz
Board Member

The ECU needs a 12 pulse per axle rev speed signal. The speedometers for 48 tooth differentials convert to the 12 pulse per rev signal (essentially, they drop 3 out of 4 pulses); the speedometers for 12 tooth differentials just buffer the differential signal.

Pin 30 goes to the cabin side of the P/N switch (or you can connect to the starter test socket in the engine compartment if that's easier to find). If the linked "just a few wires" thread says something else, it's wrong. You can download the '93 240 wiring greenbook from https://ozvolvo.org/archive/ - search for TP32352-1. Pg 18 shows the start switch to ECU connection, labeled "--> 214" in the diagram.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:22 AM   #7
Blue244

That‘s the answer i‘d like to hear

Yes your right with the diagramm, but it‘s wired together with the 50+ and after that it goes to nr 113, my car is manual, so delete or 50+?
Old 07-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #8
bobxyz
Board Member

I'd connect ECU-30 to anywhere on the ignition switch 50 to starter wiring. I don't know if the LH2.4 ECU uses it for anything with a manual transmission. Maybe fault detection, for example, cranking but zero RPM detected? If you leave it unconnected, the ECU will think you have an automatic and may bump up the idle speed (due to not being in P/N).
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:21 AM   #9
Blue244

exactly what i thaught, i‘m link it up anywhere to 50+

The flywheel, i have a flywheel which i will
make less heavier, i read that i have to adjust it in the right way to run the engine, that means Cylinder 1 on TDC and the gap without teeths for crank sensor has to look to the starter, thats right?

About the weight of the flywheel i first gona read some treads about it

Last edited by Blue244; 07-23-2021 at 03:28 AM..