• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ignition For a Carb'd B230

I'm back to using it...sorry ;).
The Dellorto sidedrafts were truly garbage, and I want to drive my car again...so I shelved them and dusted off the dual ZS setup. I am trying a different set of carbs though, since I found a nice set off a 1969 144S at the junkyard the other day. So far the needles seem bang on :).

I'm back to using it...sorry ;).
The Dellorto sidedrafts were truly garbage, and I want to drive my car again...so I shelved them and dusted off the dual ZS setup. I am trying a different set of carbs though, since I found a nice set off a 1969 144S at the junkyard the other day. So far the needles seem bang on :).

Getting slightly OT but... what exactly was wrong with them?

Why not just use the distributor/electronic ignition from say a B23E? Simple, no points/condensor. Not really adjustable like a 123. But should last forever and easy to find.

Jordan

They were emissions carbs, most Dells are since they're OE from various italian cars in the 70s, and they have different internals to the universal versions (the idle jets feed off the main jet stack instead of from their own well, etc etc). There was a dude on eBay from Italy who converted the emissions units to universal ones, but he doesn't do it anymore...and I think I know why now. The ones I got were some converted ones, and they were eye-bleedingly rich no matter what I did. I feel this is because the emissions carbs used very specific jets/emulsion tubes/etc, and don't react well to the conversion. It would have been fine if I didn't have a wideband to show me exactly how rich they were, but the extra precision of modern carb tuning methods illustrated that they were designed to be rich at all times, whereas the emission carbs were actually very nice to drive and not overly rich at all.

I've had both emissions and universal dells, and neither of them failed to react to jet changes or mixture screw adjustments like these nasty converted ones :(.

I might have missed it
Can you not use the 230 fuel injection harness etc

Some of those Chinese dcoe may work for a while, but not compared to a few hundred dollars more for proper Spanish 151 45?s. I think changing the intake is doable on the cheap.

123 for sure gives flexibility. But now your close to $1200

So why not stock 230 fi

Honestly, it sounds like a common sense decision to me. Carbs and 'mechanical' ignition aren't really that difficult, it all just requires a bit more attention. I have more fun driving a car I'm 'involved' in than anything turn-key. I've actually got a set of 'Reedmoral' china webers too, which are just rebadged FJAS, since they're all the same anyway. The chinese only change the tops, everything else is the same. I measured out the jets and everything seems accurate except for the idles. They're marked 55 but come out to more like a 62 or 63. The throttle plates sit well in the bores, and there wasn't a lot of machining swarf leftovers in mine. The only issue is the offset first progression hole, which will make for a lean stumble right off idle, but it's not the end of the world. I'm going to give them a try this summer too, just to see how well they work :).

Back