• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Speedometer Question

OldCarNewTricks

Good morning,

I recently swapped the transmission from an AW71 to AW70, and I think I pinched or did something to my speedometer cable, as it's no longer long enough to stay put in the speedo hole. It just makes a *click click click* noise that is awful and annoying. I've always had issues with this car and the speedometer. Even when working the speedo likes to bounce around at speeds below 30 or so.

I'm wondering what's everything involved in getting an electronic speedometer in my car. I know aftermarket cables exist, but I'd rather just update it and not deal with it anymore. Can a tone ring from the newer cars be pressed on an older differential case? I have a 1031 3.91 rear end, but it's an older differential without the electronic speedo bits. I know theres also the plate with the sensor in it, and there's also the electronic speedometer itself. Is the speedo seperate from the odometer or would I have to figure out how to adjust a newer one?

Thanks.

GEMO was still supplying speedo cables. The wavering is typically from a worn cable twisting and untwisting as it spins. That is probably related to your clicking sound. It's a lot easier to use what you have than adding all the wiring for an electronic speedo. It can be done but is a lot of effort just because you have a bad cable. Don't forget to replace the seal at the end of the cable. The odo is integrated into the speedometer.

GEMO was still supplying speedo cables. The wavering is typically from a worn cable twisting and untwisting as it spins. That is probably related to your clicking sound. It's a lot easier to use what you have than adding all the wiring for an electronic speedo. It can be done but is a lot of effort just because you have a bad cable. Don't forget to replace the seal at the end of the cable. The odo is integrated into the speedometer.

Excellent to know. Is GEMO the best, were they the OE supplier? It is an old cable indeed. If a new cable will take care of it, I guess I am fine with doing that. The clicking is because the cable isn't actually in contact with the speedometer anymore, so my Speedo is inoperable. So driving the 240 is iffy right now.

I actually do have a new seal coming from IPD soon, but it is out of stock, but I will replace that as soon as it comes in.

Thank you

If the cable really isn't making good contact, just shove on it from the engine compartment to seat it further.

When you say "speedo hole" I'm assuming the speedometer in the cluster, and not the pickup hole in the transmission, right?

If the cable really isn't making good contact, just shove on it from the engine compartment to seat it further.

When you say "speedo hole" I'm assuming the speedometer in the cluster, and not the pickup hole in the transmission, right?

The "spring" inner cable, the bit that actually spins doesn't seem to reach far enough anymore. I'm wondering if the sheathing got stretched during this so that the inner part is no longer long enough to reach.

That NAPA cable is half the price of a GEMO cable, and it looks to be of good quality...

Back