• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I really appreciate it.

Trying to keep up the momentum on this thing.

Modified the bracket/tensioner for the saginaw power steering pump and added a few spacers so that I could fit the 91+ pump on the early pump bracket. Didn't get a picture of that. I'll need to get some new hydraulic lines made up for it--planning on checking out a shop on my way home from work one of these days.

Got a good start on the getrag crossmember.

photo+5.JPG

Painted the front behemoths.

photo+1.JPG

In addition to finishing up the trans crossmember, I'm planning to work on running the engine harness this week.

Last edited:
Engine harness is in. I'm waiting on the intake manifold before I finalize that wiring and wrap it.

Justus (justlie) came over today and gave me a hand with some of the in-fender chassis wiring. Also picked up a craving boost strut brace.

Feeling happy with the rate of progress right now, but so much more to do before driving this car 35 hours out to iPd!

IMG_4468.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

Also, two tone hood hinges? what?

what are you doing with the intake?

I'll be running a modified b21f intake manifold with a 960 3" throttle body and one of nathan's fuel rails. It should be showing up any day now.

Tom, stunning.

Seriously killer build you got going. The attention to detail is amazing!

Thanks, guys! I'm excited for the pack of 242s we'll have rolling around to meets this summer!

I'll be running a modified b21f intake manifold with a 960 3" throttle body and one of nathan's fuel rails. It should be showing up any day now.

I need one of Nathan's rails, much cleaner than stock. I was actually thinking of the air inlet off the turbo though. I spent some time staring at that side of my engine bay yesterday so curious what you had planned.

Oh! I'm not quite sure what I'll end up doing for the intake yet.

I had been thinking an S-bend pipe with a cone filter placed near the headlight, but now it seems that's where the intercooler hot side pipe will be.

I'll figure that out once I get some piping ordered in and I can play around with it.

If that Getrag don't leak please tell me how you achieved that miracle!!!;-)

I won't be surprised if it leaks. My brother in law is a BMW master-tech and pretty much demanded to toss in a shift selector seal as they commonly leak on getrags. We replaced that seal and put in a new foam bushing for the shifter while we were at it.

This trans was a cheap unknown unit from craigslist so I didn't really have any desire to spend time/money tearing into it further.

The upside is... rustproofing?

Last edited:
Oh! I'm not quite sure what I'll end up doing for the intake yet.

I had been thinking an S-bend pipe with a cone filter placed near the headlight, but now it seems that's where the intercooler hot side pipe will be.

I'll figure that out once I get some piping ordered in and I can play around with it.

That's what I was looking at as well. I had thought about punching through down into that area in front of the wheel well. I bought an NA car where the PO made a baffled sheet metal airbox down there that was really slick, but I'm not sure I like the idea of the filter being that low. I think I'm going to end up just sticking mine over into the corner for now, and maybe I'll make a little airbox around it with some flow from down low so the IC pipe doesn't heat soak it so bad.

Aluminum pipe is not cheap!

Did you pick up the strut brace from Brian?

Looks really really really good. Bummed you got the shell, but I love what you're doing. Out of my league. Keep it up!! :cool:

That's what I was looking at as well. I had thought about punching through down into that area in front of the wheel well. I bought an NA car where the PO made a baffled sheet metal airbox down there that was really slick, but I'm not sure I like the idea of the filter being that low. I think I'm going to end up just sticking mine over into the corner for now, and maybe I'll make a little airbox around it with some flow from down low so the IC pipe doesn't heat soak it so bad.

Aluminum pipe is not cheap!

Where are you planning on getting your pipe? I'm just going to pick up a generic $99 kit on ebay.

Did you pick up the strut brace from Brian?

Looks really really really good. Bummed you got the shell, but I love what you're doing. Out of my league. Keep it up!! :cool:

Thanks! Yeah, I picked up the brace from Brian yesterday. This car will have a bunch of parts on it that were on it at various points during Brian's ownership.

Back