• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Replace Everything - 242TIC

MstrJosh

Heres my 139k mile 1984 242 turbo. Spent years searching for a blue one. I had always wanted one, but they are just not common on the east coast anymore, having all rotted away probably 20+ years ago. My grandma drove two into the ground herself. I bought this sight unseen on eBay 3 years ago as an east coast survivor. Recently I dove into keeping Kjet happy with a new WUR, injectors, and seals. Then promptly spent a month trying to get a snapped injector bolt out of the head.

Ive got some BBS wheels currently being refurbed, poly bushings waiting to go in, and just waiting on some BNE suspension parts.

Spending this summer restoring parts under the hood as well as further refreshing suspension. Aiming for a better paint job in the fall.

Beyond the basic stage 0, the car currently has the following mods:
Cherry turbo strut brace
GT Braces
Yoshifab chassis brace
Yoshifab oil drain
25mm sways front and rear
Bilstein HD's and no-name lowering springs
740 turbo in tank fuel pump
IPD turbo cam
STS adjustable cam gear
Bosch fog lights
Heckblende rear panel
Louvers

I've also got an Instagram for the car for those who might be interested in more regular updates on the POS. @MstrJosh

B3p2PDu.png

b7O9EZ5l.jpg

YTP7Q6c.jpg

That is a great looking coupe! The paint looks great to me from the photos at least

Thanks! Paint is decent but it?s cheapness shows when you?re looking at it up close. It was done back in 2012 but the only spot that?s failing is a fingernail sized peel on the trunk.

Well.. the wheels are back! The shop did a great job on straightening out the lips and refinishing the black powder coat. I actually hadn't considered that my lug nuts wouldn't fit, and that the studs may be too short.. duh! New lug nuts on, but not quite enough turns to inspire enough confidence to drive. So the extended studs are on their way.

Included a bonus pic of the engine bay too. Replaced all the accessory belts as some started to squeak, she's as quiet as a mouse again.

FO7kT70l.jpg

FNe2eT7l.jpg

qIVF6oul.jpg

Motor mounts have seen better days, these appear to be originals I removed. The driver side one wasn't attached at all. Replaced with a diesel mount on the driver side, Volvo turbo mount on the passenger side, couldn't get a diesel in time. Engine was parked nicely on top of the subframe, luckily these got noticed before the oil pan wore through my power steering line.

XXY4wgT.jpg

1lgcCKn.jpg

Started the manual swap Ive been planning for years but avoided doing because of the pedal box horror stories. Took me about an hour to swap it and it was pretty painless. Removed the seat and cluster for room. Waiting on some new cage bushings for the trans and for the flywheel to be resurfaced.

Fh63PoVh.jpg

SwZTkJmh.jpg

8FQAzLRl.jpg

Pulling the gauge cluster like you did sure helps. Long extension for the ratchet wrench. I can think of far worse jobs on a 240.

Car looks great. It seems like more of these are getting the attention and appreciation they deserve. Nice to see that.
Dave

Last edited:
Pulling the gauge cluster like you did sure helps. Long extension for the ratchet wrench. I can think of far worse jobs on a 240.

Car look great. It seems like more of these are getting the attention and appreciation they deserve. Once to see that.
Dave

Would?ve been much trickier without pulling the cluster. Can?t imagine how I?d reach the top bolts for the box.

And thanks. I?m hoping that the days of clean 242 turbos getting trashed are over. Seems a lot more are getting saved than they used to.

As they become scarce, the remnants wind up getting fixed up. As an example, the somewhat crusty '82 I own, seen below.

Finally got around to starting the swap. I suppose I didn't anticipate for how tall the auto was with the pan, so I didn't quite have enough room to roll it out on the trans jack like planned. So I just slid it off after the photo and dragged it out.

vcQMIiyl.jpg

Volvo rear main seal with a Volvo gasket for the housing.

SkKUrALl.jpg

Decided to just replace the oil separator while the starter was out, easy to reach it from underneath. Volvo separator with new seal.
82llirFl.jpg

All going smoothly so far. Pilot bearing in, retaining clip in, and Sachs clutch in. Flywheel was resurfaced as well. Planning on doing the wiring Saturday, along with routing the speedo cable. Ideally I will have the M46 in on Sunday.

J8c15uGl.jpg

Nice to see an east coast survivor in that great blue! Great job on the car and you'll really love how much more fun the car is with the manual!

PS Use a 164 engine mount for the trans and enjoy much better shifter feel and less movement of the gear shift.

Last edited:
Nice to see an east coast survivor in that great blue! Great job on the car and you'll really love how much more fun the car is with the manual!

PS Use a 164 engine mount for the trans and enjoy much better shifter feel and less movement of the gear shift.

Thanks for the tip. I ended up getting the IPD HD trans mount which I read was a 164 mount. Crossmember was a total PITA though. Took me a while to figure out I could ratchet strap it into place.

Welp.. the M46 is in. I have yet to drive it, or start it for that matter. Ive been delaying finishing up installing the exhaust because then I have to drive it, and face the possibility of having done something horribly wrong with the swap..

ujsqbpxl.jpg

Probably 6 months ago I had a custom shift knob made for my car. CDIY made it from recycled skateboards. Fits the stock OD button nicely.

YiAGjJhl.jpg

Stainless exhaust thats going on the car.

a9RWjXnl.jpg

I finally got my coils in the mail too. I ordered them back in March, and Im glad I did because they got delayed. I never asked why but I think I remember Ben telling me he had been waiting on the shocks. No matter, they're here now. Should have these in by mid July. Ive got to work out the M46 swap kinks for a show by the end of June, and then the car is going on a road trip in the beginning of July.

LQ5q0dGl.jpg

This has been soaking up a lot of my free time too. My dad and I have been restoring his 68 1800S, original black + red interior. Rust repair, paint, full drivetrain rebuild, expecting 160whp from the build.

fgM8qDgl.jpg

Mikuni carbs as well

tft8Fvbl.jpg

I finally got my coils in the mail too. I ordered them back in March, and Im glad I did because they got delayed. I never asked why but I think I remember Ben telling me he had been waiting on the shocks. No matter, they're here now. Should have these in by mid July. Ive got to work out the M46 swap kinks for a show by the end of June, and then the car is going on a road trip in the beginning of July.

I bought all of Koni's Volvo 240 inventory available, and they had to make more to get me enough inventory to fulfil all the orders we got.

Back