• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

sell the sniper, install LSA blower

This is the long term plan. I have some good suspension to put on the car, but don't want to make the same mistake I've made in the past of overpowering the chassis.

General idea is get the car handling/stopping as good as it can with the NA setup, then add power and tweak suspension methodically ? la Towery.

Picked up the motor last night. Gonna unload and snap photos today, because we all know this thread is worthless without pics.

RKY5mR1h.jpg

dASzrQbh.jpg
[/IMG]

It does exist! Thrilling, I know.

I did run across this pan which appears to be a Holley swap pan clone for 2/3 the price:
https://www.poormanmotorsports.com/...x-aluminum-rear-sump-oil-pan-aluminum-natural

Nice how quickly the market is progressing on these things.

Mine came with the Hummer pan (since it's a Hummer motor) that lots of people use because it's rear sump with a *snug* front portion. But I plonked the motor in to see what it looked like and OH HELL NO it stuck a couple of inches down below the crossmember. Out and after looking around for alternatives (none at that time) I bought the Holley 302-1.

Methinks a little assembly is needed for that engine. Or, are you using super glue instead of bolts?

Glad you have made the right call.

I replaced my Hummer H3 pan with PMMS pan-2? shorter- now higher than the crossmember. Gotta use F- body dipstick.
WRONG. gotta use blue-handle diesel 240 dipstick. If you didn't know, now you know, you gotta be at mountain meet to get these references. :rofl:

Well since buying the motor, I've done *checks notes* nothing.

HOWEVER!

I did sell my '78 KZ1300 last night, which leaves me with a decent little nest egg to build this car from. Another member has a V8 swapped wagon (5.3/T56/8.8/ATS-V Brakes) wagon that he's selling after a driveshaft failure.

That car should be showing up this weekend, and has a lot of what I need for this project.

Well this showed up in the driveway this weekend:

VkkmwpSh.jpg

fJUCvqIh.jpg

dbsT2E5h.jpg

bWCKnuHh.jpg

oRyYcYbh.jpg

Temd9c8h.jpg

cQUREJxh.jpg

Warmed over, cam only 5.3 that made 300 to the tire. Driveshaft let go at a high speed and beat the hell out of the rear floor.

It's got a T56, Cadillac brakes, an 8.8, swap harness, and a bunch of other stuff I need on it.

I bought it with the intention of stripping it down to a shell and robbing all the good stuff for my '79. Looking at it now, I'm inclined to pull everything I need but the running motor, put some stock brakes and a stock diff in it, and just putting a GM auto in it.

I dunno. I'll beat on the floor with a large hammer for a bit until I lose interest and probably strip it anyway.

Save it! That's a sweet looking wagon. Brace the rockers maybe, drill out the spot welds, clean and treat the seams, weld the new floor in. Crazy amount of damage from that driveshaft failure. Were they running 2-piece or 1-piece?

Back