• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

3" amm question

DagazEnterprise

We Don't Roll
i see lots of people talking about upgrading the stock unit to a 3 inch, is it a direct swap or is rewiring involved, does the computer need to be chipped? also i see some people have the amm between the turbo and the intake and others have it on the inlet side of the turbo, are there any advantages or dissadvanteges to this? what vehichles can i find one on? and is there a better throttle body upgrade as well? thanks

comes on a volvo 960, i have one on my dail driver, it isnt chipped.

True this, but also remember that there are two part numbers for the 960 units. The last three numbers will end in either 012 or 025. This is visible on the top of the unit itself.

The 012 units work without fail. The 025's have been hit and miss for people.

I used epoxy to glue it to the PVC pipe. The kind you get that has two tubes stuck together and they both come out when you push it down and you mix it up and glue. I cut a rectangular square hole out of the 3 inch PVC pipe that was just the right size for the 016 guts to fit into and angled just right so the amm wire deal was pretty much centered in the tube.

I'll take it out tomorrow and get better pics.
3inchAMM3.jpg

Last edited:
Also note, a 3" silicone coupler will need lots of force when putting it on a 016, as its slightly larger than 3" on the OD.

its not exactly a direct swap because you need an adapter and a 3 inch air filter but it does just plug in and work. depending if you have lh 2.2 or 2.4 theres different 3 inch amms. i believe the 012 is for lh 2.4 and you have to research for lh 2.2 because theres two and i think one works better than the other. the car does not need to be chipped but you should get bigger injectors with it. putting it before the turbo keeps it oil free and clean, also easier to install. if you want to install it after the turbo you can put in the cold side intercooler piping but its quite a modification. better for a blow off valve and is supposedly more responsive but oil can contaminate and you gotta clean it. the 012 is found on a 960. the throttle body off the 960 is what you want to (3") with an adapter.

heres mine with 3 inch everything and stock green turbo injectors. car runs perfect with lh 2.4

img0313l.jpg

By volvopro, shot with iPhone 3GS at 2009-11-09

I think generally you can tell, if there is a diag black box on the driver side fender.
Posted via Mobile Device

every single non turbo 740 I have seen that was a 90/91, has been rex. Most of the NA 940's we have around here are rex as well, although I have seen a handfull of 2.4 940's.

That is because you are in one of the states that should of only got federal spec cars.

The LH 2.4 / Cali spec cars were only supposed to be sold in cali, Being that I sort of Lived there I saw more than a few of them being 90-91 LH 2.4 n/as

That is because you are in one of the states that should of only got federal spec cars.

The LH 2.4 / Cali spec cars were only supposed to be sold in cali, Being that I sort of Lived there I saw more than a few of them being 90-91 LH 2.4 n/as

I think its because you're closetjewish. but that's just me.

Back