home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #1
64bit_Elch

Default Michael's greenish 1997 945 Turbo M90

Hi guys,

I'm Michael and I'm new to the blessed association of turbobrick owners. As my first very own car I bought a Volvo 945 Turbo from the Netherlands.
The car was first registered on 25.03.97 in the Netherlands and had about 4 owners since then. I bought it in January with 380.000km (around 235k mi).

Hard facts:
- engine: B230FT
- transmission: M90 Manual
- color: 412 Tropical Green Metallic
- interior: gray textile - no leather
- rear axle: 1041 with locking diff

On board there is an electric glass sunroof, automatic climate control, heated seats, cruise control and now also: a vintage looking bluetooth radio. But I guess that's not a big deal for the US and Canadian part of the community, because redblock US Volvos are mostly full spec (or?)

May I tell you about how I got the car:

I picked it up from Rotterdam in NL and thought I would get some kind of aluminum transfer license plates. When the car dealer printed out paper plates I thought he was joking. Turned out he wasn't. So I was on my way home on the Autobahn A3 in the middle of Germany at around 10pm when i had an encounter with the german highway police.

It quickly turned out that it wouldn't be as friendly as expected when I stopped behind them on a dark Autobahn parking lot and they got out of their car screaming and pointing their flashlights into my tired face. They screamed that I should get out of the car and step away immediately. They thought that the plates were selfmade and that I was smuggling drugs.
After checking my license and the registration they assured that everything was fine - then they left and I was sitting in the middle of this dark parking lot with my "new" 940.

I drove home the next day and got an Austrian registration two weeks after.
Since end of January I serviced the car and renewed a few little things:

- Transmission oil, differential oil and engine oil + filter
- Sparkplugs (when changing them I pulled out 5 spark plugs of the engine bay. The 5th was loose under the air filter box)
- Fuel filter
- Rear electric windows were stuck
- Headlight wiper motors, that i got off a donator 764 GLE and front + rear wash fluid pipes
- Water cooler + both pipes
- Swapped in all 4 black door covers from an '91 744GL. I put the little grey textile decoration panel on them, so it looks quite ok IMO. (Thanks volvo for using the exact same door panels in 2 different model series for such a long time)

Some more parts are waiting in the garage...

Please let me know if you want to see some pictures and updates!
EDIT: I'll post some birthday pictures of it tomorrow

All the best wishes from the locked down central Europe.

Last edited by 64bit_Elch; 03-24-2020 at 06:37 PM..
64bit_Elch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
64bit_Elch

First fuel stop in the Netherlands

Checked liquids and hoses, then powerwashed the engine bay

Disconnected the antenna motor because it was not working propperly

Got a new reflector and lens for the headlights

Wheels are 16" oem Auriga with continental winter sport 5

New watercooler + hoses

I don't plan a cool build for now as I still attend college. Bring and keep the car in a nice oem or oem+ shape is all I want for now. Sorry if that's the wrong subforum - please move me if that's the case

Last edited by 64bit_Elch; 03-25-2020 at 10:16 AM..
Old 03-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #3
240wagonguy
Board Member

Typically a US spec turbo car would have leather. Cloth would wear better however.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

I think it’s great what you’re doing, keeping it clean and OEM is fantastic. So many of these cars get molested and/or sent into the world of drifting only to become victims of ‘the wall’.

Keep up the progress!

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
PCH
Board Member

Welcome! Lets see the door panels, i am planning to do the inserts in black leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240wagonguy View Post
Typically a US spec turbo car would have leather. Cloth would wear better however.
Late 940 Turbos very often came with cloth. Especially last year in the US- 1995.
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #6
64bit_Elch

Thanks for the feedback! Around here there are more 900s and 700s with cloth than with leather I'd say. And many without cruise and climate control.

A buddy prints out 4x black plastic plugs for the holes in the door panels in his 3d printer. Anyway it will take a while until we see each other again because of corona.
Seems like the panels are the same on the 700 and 900 series. Only the late 900 series has some type of isolation underneath the panels - the '91 740 didn't have that. You have to press them on a little stronger than you would on a 740 but they fit perfectly.
I used the grey textile insert over the window switches from the original panels. Also the lower storage compartment and the window switches' cover.

Got a new driver's seat cushion at home already. The other seats feel used but ok

Today arrived 2 new front break splash panels and wheel bearings. The front breaks will be my next objective

Last edited by 64bit_Elch; 03-26-2020 at 02:27 AM..
Old 03-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
redblockpowered
Board Member

Your car looks great! Is it lowered? It seems to sit low in the front. My car has pretty much all the equipment including the early style metal sunroof but you didn't need to swap in an M90 so I think you win haha.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #8
64bit_Elch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Your car looks great! Is it lowered? It seems to sit low in the front. My car has pretty much all the equipment including the early style metal sunroof but you didn't need to swap in an M90 so I think you win haha.
Thanks redblockpowered! I guess there are lowering springs installed in the front only, because it sits lower than in the back. I've never measured the center wheel to fender edge distance on both axles. Will catch up on that.

Cool swap - have you ever had problems with your M90 and do you know the mileage on it?
Old 03-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
240wagonguy
Board Member

Interesting, my gf's 92 740 turbo wagon has no cruise and manual climate controls, but does have leather. Some cloth seats would be better, the leather doesn't seem to hold up well and the dog likes cloth seats as well.
240wagonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
redblockpowered
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64bit_Elch View Post
Thanks redblockpowered! I guess there are lowering springs installed in the front only, because it sits lower than in the back. I've never measured the center wheel to fender edge distance on both axles. Will catch up on that.

Cool swap - have you ever had problems with your M90 and do you know the mileage on it?
I think there's also a factory handling kit that was an option in 97-98 but I'm not sure. My car is ~68.5 cm from the ground to the highest point of the front wheel arch, I don't know what it is in the rear.

Thanks! I haven't had any trouble with mine save for a slave cylinder that turned out to be no good when I installed it. I don't know how many miles are on the transmission but I have put about 12000 miles on it with no issues.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:00 AM   #11
ortho stice
Board Member

Did Europe not get the window antenna in the wagons?
ortho stice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
64bit_Elch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
I think there's also a factory handling kit that was an option in 97-98 but I'm not sure. My car is ~68.5 cm from the ground to the highest point of the front wheel arch, I don't know what it is in the rear.
I measured: in the front it's ~63.5 cm and in the back ~67.5 cm. Sometimes the thoughts of new shocks and springs cross my mind anyways.

Great to hear about the reliability of the M90. Must be a good transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho stice;
Did Europe not get the window antenna in the wagons?
So far I've only seen 940s with roof antennas. Might be different on the 960 or V90..