• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

patrickstars 1983 242 4.8L/AR5 swap

Also, if you have stock torque rods on your car, it means 2-3 things to me...you don't actually use your car, your car has no grip, and you probably have some ungodly vibrations with a 1 piece driveshaft (or you just don't know what its actually supposed to feel like).

Ill just put my 2c in. I have had my car swapped for about 4 years now (5.3 with a t56, used to be 4L60E). I have a 1pc driveshaft, I am not low at all and I used to be able to make it rub on the body. I used my fine adjusting hammer and now it doesn't rub. It's under the car and nobody sees it so I don't care. If I were to do it again I might do a 2pc shaft but its a toss up. I didn't really pay any attention to the angles and have stock torque rods, no bad vibes here. Build it however it works for you, If you can swap a engine in the car you can certainly build another trans mount if you don't like the first one.

you also need to stop posting on every single thread like you know everything about every car and every engine.

also, I have to agree with RvolvoR on this subject. I understand this is a public forum and all but there is always more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Jeremy

A 1 piece shaft on anything somewhat low slams into the rear structure of the car around the seatbelt area and is also nearly impossible to get pinion angle set perfectly with no vibes.

This is true and Im not slammed and I'm still getting some vibes with a correct angle on my rear end.

I am curious about this ar5 as well. What?s the verdict on the actual power handling? Seems like they aren?t rated very high from AW.

Well, I'm gonna stay out of any drama. The AR5 is rated to handle 260ft-lbs of torque stock, but the maker of the kit is drag racing a LS swapped Colorado with 800hp/800tq. It did finally blow up, but I'm planning on half that power so I think I'll be safe. Michael is right, the first gear is very short, I'll likely need to regear at some point.

On the topic of driveshafts, I'm planning on a two piece shaft with the HD center support.

The shifter guy is still dicking around, so I moved ahead and ordered an intake. FAST 78mm from eBay. Did some research and people say it flows better than a LS6 intake, and can accept an 85mm TB easily. If I don't like it I'll sell but I think this will be a good fit for my power goals.

Last edited:
yBvR7cWl.jpg

Received my FAST 78mm intake from eBay, came with a throttle body and summit fuel rails. Ordered a walbro 255, bosch 40lb injectors, and a C5 corvette FPR/filter. I've been on the road for vacation the last few weeks, haven't had time to do anything to the car other than make orders for parts

pj66MjKl.jpg

Dash removed, buying a black dash from a friend for $75. Working on a shifter relocation setup for the AR5, but was set back when we broke the shift ball for the stock shifter. Lots of parts arriving in the next week as well

Looking good, floors look very solid!

Yep, car is solid throughout. There is a small puncture hole near clutch pedal (about where your heel would sit) and I'm a little afraid to pull up the windshield, but the rest is great.

UGUucuyl.jpg

My buddy has started his own powdercoating company and had these on the shelf. Wrinkle black with a touch of silver metallic.

sDvwQHsl.jpg

Finally got my hydraulic clutch and master bolted up. I had one or two many beers and couldn't go get a hole saw bit, so I drilled 4 large holes, punched out the middle, and used a hand file to make the center hole large enough. I probably could have walked to the hardware store quicker than it took me to do all that, oh well.

cKudQXHl.jpg

Gonna go pick up a black dashboard tonight and clean out the interior. Friday I'm towing it to a friends work where he'll help me fabricate a transmission crossmember and do a few things under the car.

I have a lengthened cable pedal at the moment.

If it's loose on the pivot give them a call. That was a pre-production issue. I'm sure they must have sent you the wrong one by accident.

are you running the steel sleeve with the plastic bushings from the old pedal?

I am running the steel sleeve, but I'm thinking my junkyard pedal assembly was missing the bushings because I don't remember any coming out. I'll take a look today

I need that clutch master, what?s the Wilwood part number/model number?

Progress is looking good!

Wilwood 260-15098

Its the 'new' version of the master that @77volvo245 suggests using with his pedal. I had no issues bolting it up, and all the specs are the same

Got quite a bit done today. Started the morning with some tacos from the local taco truck

k1IHiBil.jpg

Cleaned the car out and moved it outside, and had a friend load it up and move it to a local fabrication shop

K4Y8ZJJl.jpg

Once it was there, we got it on the lift and designed a quick and dirty crossmember. Used the stock crossmember with some plasma cut plates. Feels solid, looks good, cheap. I like it.

aBLfrBil.jpg

ELq1algl.jpg

While my buddy was welding that together, I removed the stock fuel filter and pump and put the C5 corvette filter/regulator in its place.

4eERhQil.jpg

I thought this was a funny head to head, shouldn't that V8 be in the Camaro?

LnNtjH9l.jpg

Removed some minor things that weren't necessary and drained the tank too. Its starting to look like a real car

qgUZQ3Jl.jpg

Probably should have spent this money on more parts... But they were a good deal and I love GTAs.

In other news, searching for a local driveshaft shop who will build me a two piece to my specs. One said they would only do it if I brought the car to them, 160mi away. Any internet suggestions?

I love me some GTA's! That's what I was looking for before I got a killer deal on a set of 16X9.5 ARE 398s.

Last edited:
qgUZQ3Jl.jpg

Probably should have spent this money on more parts... But they were a good deal and I love GTAs.

In other news, searching for a local driveshaft shop who will build me a two piece to my specs. One said they would only do it if I brought the car to them, 160mi away. Any internet suggestions?

take it to six states in pasco

Back