• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuel cell ideas in a 240

Radtap

Found out the hard way my gas tank is Swiss cheese after sitting for 20 years, filling it up and it started gushing all over the place. I can get a tank from the junkyard but I?ve been thinking about slapping a fuel cell in the trunk? I wanna hear/see some ideas or any reasons to just stick with a stock tank. I plan on racing the car so a fuel cell would be better than a regular tank on hard banks if the tank is low but that?s the only pro I can think of

I bought a nice used stock tank from a member here, it came from Texas. I could have just installed it, but had a local radiator shop clean and coat it. Was just under $200 for all that. You can put full cell foam in the stock tank if you want to, but it already has a cup around the pickup.

Trunk space is a good reason to keep a stock tank. Unless you are only racing the car, no street time.

Last edited:
I bought a nice used stock tank from a member here, it came from Texas. I could have just installed it, but had a local radiator shop clean and coat it. Was just under $200 for all that. You can put full cell foam in the stock tank if you want to, but it already has a cup around the pickup.

Trunk space is a good reason to keep a stock tank. Unless you are only racing the car, no street time.

Yeah I see the cup in there, I?ve just heard/read in other threads that around 1/3 full it?ll pickup air on real hard turns, I?ll look into foam cell and having someone coat the ?new? tank

I'm thinking about putting a swirl pot under the car in the space where the rear muffler goes.

Yeah I?ve seen the swirl pot idea, iirc I saw a post where you can actually mount it in the axle tunnel in the corner near the lines and it sits out of the way but if the mufflers gone that would work better

I'm thinking about putting a swirl pot under the car in the space where the rear muffler goes.

Swirl pot or surge tank is a good idea, mounting it under the car in the rear ... not such a good idea imo.

Agreed, and I didn't want it in the trunk either. I want to put stereo equipment and luggage/groceries/whatever in there.

There's a nice spot above the axle where you could tuck one away.
The Hyperfuel and Radium ones are pretty small as well, and you could tuck it into the corner of the trunk.

I have the Radium one, with two 225 pumps in it. You could put it in the trunk, I was going to do that, but that is where a lot of high power electronics will be in my car. I wasn't big on punching the holes for all the hoses either. A feed line, return, and 2 pump lines makes a lot of holes.

I figured it was easier to put the battery in the trunk and the fuel under the hood.

I have the Radium one, with two 225 pumps in it. You could put it in the trunk, I was going to do that, but that is where a lot of high power electronics will be in my car. I wasn't big on punching the holes for all the hoses either. A feed line, return, and 2 pump lines makes a lot of holes.

I figured it was easier to put the battery in the trunk and the fuel under the hood.

Fuel surge-tank under the hood makes a lot of sense. Only a small amount of pressurized fuel in the entire system that way.

The only issue with a fuel cell is I also want to move the battery to the trunk and I’m not 100% on the legality of that on race tracks. I can run one of them little baby batteries up front instead though and reduce the weight altogether

The only issue with a fuel cell is I also want to move the battery to the trunk and I?m not 100% on the legality of that on race tracks. I can run one of them little baby batteries up front instead though and reduce the weight altogether

Are you building to a specific race series? Or just a fun track day car?

Are you building to a specific race series? Or just a fun track day car?

No specific series, I wanna drive it to work some days and participate in rallies other days or take it to the drag strip, yknow

I like the foam in a factory tank idea but I don?t know what to do about the level sender unless I?m overthinking it, I?d like to keep my gas gauge

Feed and return aren't hooked up yet in this pic. Filters under hood also here. I made a platform to replace the rotted battery tray. Not the greatest pic to show the size of the Radium tank, but with the fittings installed it is only a couple inches from the bottom of the hood.

AunoTFul.jpg

Not plumbed to fuel rail yet, Radium multi port pressure regulator

WVqerMhl.jpg

It's always legal to move the battery to the trunk, just need to check the rule book for what they want.

Usually enclosed battery with a vent tube

I know trunk batteries alone are legal I just didn’t know about both a fuel cell and battery in the trunk

I know trunk batteries alone are legal I just didn?t know about both a fuel cell and battery in the trunk

If you care about track driving, I'd look into SCCA improved touring or a NASA class that allows fuel cells.

In my experience, you can have batteries and fuel cells in the same general area. Battery needs to have a secure mount and the terminals need to be covered.

Definitely route the wires and fuel lines a good distance away from each other thought.

If you care about track driving, I'd look into SCCA improved touring or a NASA class that allows fuel cells.

In my experience, you can have batteries and fuel cells in the same general area. Battery needs to have a secure mount and the terminals need to be covered.

Definitely route the wires and fuel lines a good distance away from each other thought.

I?m going to do a bit more looking into modifying a new stock tank but if I decide that?s not the route I?ll definitely look into SCCA, if I decide to make it a true track car further down the line I?ll pickup the actual rulebooks

Back