• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Control Arm Bushings, Rear Position

OldCarNewTricks

Hello,

FCP Euro (Meyle) has two separate part numbers for the rear bushings on the front control arms: 1359812 for Left, 1273778 for Right.

I ordered a pair of Meyle on eBay, and they sent me two of the 1273778. What's the difference? In the pictures on FCP they look identical. Should I install them anyway?

Thanks!

from my experience they are also different durometer. I think passenger side is stiffer to compensate for exhaust heat.

I ordered a pair of the Meyle 1359812 from Amazon, and the seller sent me two URO brand.... I guess the Meyle are out of stock in the US?

Not sure if I should send them back or just the URO ones.

Send them back at the sellers expense. There is no way I would waste my time and money installing URO parts on my Volvo. Most of the URO parts I have seen are pure garbage.

Send them back at the sellers expense. There is no way I would waste my time and money installing URO parts on my Volvo. Most of the URO parts I have seen are pure garbage.

Okay, thank you for the information. They've agreed to take them back.

I've been having a difficult time finding the left side in Meyle or better quality in the US. I don't really want to go for poly..

Huh.. it only lists one bushing for both sides. Maybe they did away with different specs and are using same om both sides now?

I don't know. When I ran the part verification I entered 1982 242. Way back when I started working on Volvos there never was a mention of right vs. left on the rear control arm bushings. I've actually used Beck Arnley bushings on a 240 long ago.

The Poly doesn't really change much in the front as far as NVH goes. You'll feel it hit a little harder on potholes and stuff, but it also tracks straighter through the rough stuff. In normal highway driving you can't tell the difference.

Huh.. it only lists one bushing for both sides. Maybe they did away with different specs and are using same om both sides now?

The suspension greenbook says that early cars used a soft bushing on the right side and a hard one on the left but that it might cause a steering wheel vibration during braking and that hard bushings are now used on both sides. The greenbook is dated '79 yet the parts catalogs continued to show different bushings for left and right all the way to the end of production.

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/images/200ControlArmBushing.jpg
200ControlArmBushing.jpg

That's interesting. All I can find in Meyle are the right side. Which are softer? However, the ones I got don't have any visible voids in the rubber.

Knowing that the Meyle pair can be used for both sides makes me unsure of how to proceed. Not sure if Poly up there is better.

Excellent. I'll use poly in the future if I end up wanting more firmness up front.

I do have a matching pair of the Meyle, so I will go ahead and install them.

I still have the pair of URO, and my friend has offered to take them off my hands and use them in his budget wagon. Would the URO be okay as temporary bushings for a couple years for him?

No that is not correct.

The part numbers relate to the hardness of the rubber. The near side bush is harder to cope better with pot holes etc.

The harder bush is the one to use for both sides

I've never verified whether that was true. I read it on here of course. What made me think it may be true is I have encountered more than once control arm brackets that the bushing could be pushed in place easily and had to be tack welded into place. These weren't rusty parts.

I have encountered more than once control arm brackets that the bushing could be pushed in place easily and had to be tack welded into place. These weren't rusty parts.
I've had many of these cases too with rubber bushings and was wondering what's with that. When the new bushing is too loose, it's been the same on both sides. But less/none on later cars? Poly outer shell has always been a good fit.

I think those different type original bushins were still used on really early 80's cars. Seen, had and replaced several.

Back