• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for documentation of B230 intake badness

redblockpowered

bad username length
Plenty of folks have said the stock intake on B230s flows poorly or can't support such and such amount of power.

Does anyone here have proof? Not necessarily looking for super anal climate controlled engine dyno testing, but something adjacent to back to back testing that would prove the inadequacy of the stock manifold at a given power level beyond a reasonable doubt.

I back-to-backed a stock intake and a Nathan intake on my car in the same afternoon, with all other elements being the same. I have logs of the driving somewhere buried on the laptop but it's not going to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt.

once I get the new head on with injectors mounted right on it, we should be able to do a direct comparison between the b230 and k jet manifold. I don't know of/have access to a dyno though lol

I back-to-backed a stock intake and a Nathan intake on my car in the same afternoon, with all other elements being the same. I have logs of the driving somewhere buried on the laptop but it's not going to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt.

May not be slam-dunk proof but definitely in the vein of what I'd like to see.

The stock efi manifold doesn't flow all that well. It's not terrible but will limit your power at some level. My machine shop didn't care for it. I had a ported one flow tested and it didn't do great. With a turbo you can get away with more power from it since you are forcing the air through it. Volvo built a RHD rally car and it used the efi manifold for what was supposedly a 300hp engine as did the Group A cars. So, they got some power with it but it's not ideal.

I have a klracing 8v intake manifold I'd like to swap onto my blue 242, but I have not sat down and even thought about how I'm going to go about swapping it.. I'll have to figure it all out ahead of time and just have the parts ready to swap I imagine, or I guess I could do 4-5 baseline pulls with the boost control solenoid unhooked (straight wastegate, which isn't a lot on that car) and see what the spread is, and then whenever I get the other one done see what it does with the same 4-5 pulls. Or, set it up to run 20psi on both. hell I may do all of the above.

I honestly am expecting decent gains, but if you saw the conclusions in the ebay intercooler thread, I expected gains from that as well, so..... ymmv? lol. whenever I flowtested one years and years ago, it's per-runner performance wasn't total garbage, but it didn't get much better when tested with all runners open. I have no flow numbers for the klracing manifold as I have not set my flowbench back up after moving in 2012. the vacuum setup for it is about 60% set up, but tbh I haven't really had much time or inclination lately to finish it.

^^^ That made me laugh hard :rofl:

Close to 20 years ago I flow tested b21ft manifold against b21f, b230 and early LH1 manifold which is similar to b230 but doesn't have injector humps in it. That LH1 manifold came out on top of them all. Forced induction may change things and see gains where n/a wouldn't.

My friend in LVR racing engines had flowbenched ft intake manifold and it flows about 160cfm. So if your ported head flows 210cfm and you put an original manifold to it then they combined flows only about 160cfm.

But if you put a kl-racings cast manifold to the flowbench it flows more than any 530/531 head, i think!

I'll see if I can dig up the logs. As far as driving impressions; it's a game changer over 4k rpm with a good setup. It also really changes the engine sound which was interesting.

Referencing my flow charts. At 28" with a flowed LH intake manifold. My 531 head flowed 187.1 cfm on the intake. Whereas the head without the intake manifold flowed 203.4". So, the LH manifold took away a good chunk of airflow.

Referencing my flow charts. At 28" with a flowed LH intake manifold. My 531 head flowed 187.1 cfm on the intake. Whereas the head without the intake manifold flowed 203.4". So, the LH manifold took away a good chunk of airflow.

I remember back when I was drag racing ford stuff we had a friend that had a flow bench and he was pretty sharp about flow etc. He would talk about percentages regarding intake flow compared to the head. Looking at your flow numbers the intake flowed 80 percent of the head. Which isnt very good at all. I put a 3 inch adapter and blended my intake, the the injector boss up. Didnt seem to help it much at all. Im just using it to get my engine broke in then going to go with klracing or buy nathan intake. My head been worked over by culberro. So I imagine its over 200. Anyways enough babling. Id like to see kjet intake vs nathan or kenny intake manifold comparision on a dyno or flow bench.

Look at the itb video of that drift't n lift's weirdo.

He compares the dyno graphs of a stock engine with ported head +cam on the oem intake and later with the itb setup.

I second that interest in knowing what the old kjet intake flows. I had the shop port the 90+ exhaust manifold and also go over the efi intake to flow better. But he told me he didn't have much he could do with the intake.

I second that interest in knowing what the old kjet intake flows. I had the shop port the 90+ exhaust manifold and also go over the efi intake to flow better. But he told me he didn't have much he could do with the intake.

I believe a gent of Scandinavian origin, posted a link in Performance a few months back which included flow data on the K-Jet B21F intake. The article would need translation, but he claimed the flow data was contained within. No mention of the miserable B230F/FT intake that the OP wanted to find. I'm absolutely certain that the B21F intake makes a better beer holder (likely a pair of them) than the B230F. Witness the glory:

Back