• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Wobble in Front Wheel

Yes, I am. I actually tried to put a set of B6 in my 93 and there wasn't enough thread engagement to install the insert. I know some folks have been able to squeeze them in there but it wouldn't work for me. I've also had many 240 turbos with the boge gas inserts that don't have the spacer installed.

Yes, I am. I actually tried to put a set of B6 in my 93 and there wasn't enough thread engagement to install the insert. I know some folks have been able to squeeze them in there but it wouldn't work for me. I've also had many 240 turbos with the boge gas inserts that don't have the spacer installed.

The paperwork that came with my 1992 claims it had Bilstein HD's installed. I replaced the lowering springs a few years ago, and tried removing the gland nuts, only to give up for fear of damage(it was DD & I was limited on time, etc).

I'm wondering if those nuts are going to be blue balls 'getting off' (??).....well it should be interesting, and I will cool off on the idea of investing in Billie HD's until I get it all apart and see what is going on ?

:drama:

I'd get that apart and see what's in there. If you know your car has original struts then the spacer is in there. If it did get a B6 crushed in there. It will only be a few threads engaged but it might be overtightened.

I'd get that apart and see what's in there. If you know your car has original struts then the spacer is in there. If it did get a B6 crushed in there. It will only be a few threads engaged but it might be overtightened.

Thanks for that info, overtightening might explain the difficulty in get the 'nuts off'

:cameron:

Another thought crossed my mind as I was reinspecting the noise from the front of the car.
Could it be a bad upper strut mount bushing?
I replaced the old bushing with a new OEM Volvo brand this past Winter.
Upon inspection, it's starting to look worse than the bushing that was replaced.
Almost like the center is separating from the mount...

kEwpHvu.jpg
[/IMG]

Thoughts?

Yes, those are pretty crappy looking and is the usual decay we see. Can cause a clunk,. Without the plates from user 15a those mounts don't last very long anymore. In the discussions here it was mentioned that the rubber isn't what it used to be. For any stock rubber mount replacement you are doing yourself good to get the plates from him. I'm so glad he makes them.

Another thought crossed my mind as I was reinspecting the noise from the front of the car.
Could it be a bad upper strut mount bushing?
I replaced the old bushing with a new OEM Volvo brand this past Winter.
Upon inspection, it's starting to look worse than the bushing that was replaced.
Almost like the center is separating from the mount...

kEwpHvu.jpg
[/IMG]

Thoughts?

Absolutely could be. Apparently all brands nowadays are lower quality. I recently got an OEM used set from 2manyturbos, and I am going to use those with 15A plates.

Is there any difference in quality between the OEM Volvo and Meyle strut bushings?

How does the reinforcement plate make the bushing last longer?
Wouldn't it just stiffen it up a bit, thereby making the bushing wear faster?

The plate stops the bushing from doing that pushed up action which would make it stick to the metal sleeve longer. At least that is the idea as I understand it. It would cause some compression to hold it but I think that would be helpful. The original Volvo ones from back when they were built almost never did that domed affect.

Never tried the Meyle ones and I don't care for the price of those volvo ones now although I used to only buy them. Now I tried the ones from these guys on ebay. Haven't put them on yet but I need to. Mine look worse than yours with flakes of rubber coming off as well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/140494896471 I do have the plates to use.

Did you know Volvo used to sell strut towner reinforcement plates? They work great but the hole in the middle is too large to support the rubber. So you get a double benefit with the 15a plates due to them supporting the strut a bit better and supporting the rubber.

Back