• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil Starvation road race b230

I agree.

:omg: How did you like it? :)

I received some pictures from Erland this weekend while we were racing ourselves! We took 3rd in B class both days at Portland International Raceway with Lucky Dog Racing League. We could've been in contention for the lead both days, but, you know how that goes... Lots more info on our FB page if anyone wants to follow along. I'll have some video up sometime, too.

Anyway, here's what Erland sent me(sorry for the size, I may resize them later):

Kyle;
Nice pan, same as ours in Slovo, defiantly helps. Good job at PIR. DANA

Kyle;
Nice pan, same as ours in Slovo, defiantly helps. Good job at PIR. DANA
Thanks Dana! That's Erland's pan, we're running a stock one at the moment. During this last race, we did your suggestion of running a little overfilled and the accusump all day. We had one driver experience one low oil level warning under/after hard braking into turn 7 at PIR, so we added a half a quart in the next pit stop and called it good for the rest of the day. Our rear main seal seems to be seeping a bit, and the engine is tired, so we suspect that was why we saw the warning. That evening I checked the oil level with the Accusump charged and it was about 2/3 up the dipstick. I added a quart of oil and we had no issues on Sunday. I think we were barely above the minimum mark at the start of the weekend, so we maybe used 3/4-1qt or so? Good enough!

Next engine we'll try one of these pan designs to help further. Maybe with a cut-out of some sort for more capacity, we shall see. Erland suggested running an oil cooler, but so far I don't think we're stressing things as much as one might think. Somehow, our coolant temperatures were only around 165? with a 190? thermostat.

Maybe I should make these and sell them for half price.
https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/gm-gen-v-lt-road-race-oil-pan-baffle-use-w-302-20/

302-30_v1__19320.1484746342.1280.1280.jpg

Does anyone have pictures of a Group A pan? I haven?t tried searching for any yet. Erland suggested they?re available but expensive.

Here's the Sten Parner pan that supposedly is a Group A copy.
Has two trap doors inside.
Dave B

Attachments

• StenParner008.jpg
    StenParner008.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 129
  • StenParner009.jpg
    StenParner009.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 124
  • StenParner010.jpg
    StenParner010.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 127
Does anyone know what the psi rating is on the oil psi sensor? 0 psi 7 psi or 10? Or compare the flickering to a mech gauge?

The Intermotor catalogue lists the Volvo 230 sensor (their part no. 50860) as switching at 5.8-8.7psi.

There are switches available which switch at higher pressures, i.e. closer to, but still below the operating pressure of your engine, to give a earlier warning of low oil pressure.

Back