• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New project update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started on the front uprights:
DSC00045.JPG

DSC00046.JPG

What's the rationale behind that type of design? I've seen pictures of billet version loose, but not installed. I'm struggling to grasp the idea...

cheers

James

The ones I've seen are quite physically big (not denying they're light). They seem an odd shape for something which needs to have objects attached to it at various points. I suspect I'm failing to think outside of the box, here...and that leaving aside 'convention', a shape like that allows the various mounting points to be attached without the need for strong, heavy 'arms' (capable of withstanding the shear forces involved) to be attached to a small central knuckle.

...am I barking up the right tree here?

cheers

James

The design goes back to filling a certain number of design criteria. You want to span the rather large distance between the upper and lower control arm mounts without adding a bunch of material (ie weight). A large outer ring diameter also means the length of the various mounting arms is kept as short as possible. In our case the 200mm outer diameter is as large as will fit before hitting the brake caliper.

The finned design also makes for an excellent flowpath for brake cooling air. A scoop attached to the upright F1 style can route all the air directly into the upright and through the brake rotor quite easily.

Ok, cool! It makes perfect sense when you think about it from scratch, rather than trying to relate it to what you see on most production cars.

cheers

James

Nice uprights. Looks like a very light and strong way to make them. cheap too compared to milling them from a big block of alu.
Reminds me of the Ajden dude who is building a Bentley replica on Savar.

Nice uprights. Looks like a very light and strong way to make them. cheap too compared to milling them from a big block of alu.
Reminds me of the Ajden dude who is building a Bentley replica on Savar.

Thanks. We were definitely inspired by his design.

how thick is the sheetmetal/plate steel on the uprights?

The outer ring, spokes, and any shear plates are 2mm. The rest is 3mm.

Added a bunch of plates today, so we've got them looking like uprights now. Looks like they're going to end up weighing around 3.5kg. Not exactly lightweights, but I think the stock 240 spindles weigh at least twice that.

Excuse my apparant lack of imagination, but exactly what are those "uprights"? I'm not getting what they are.:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back