home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #151
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
I'm about 90% certain he's running a B/E (thin) head gasket on this. I bought it completely assembled. That's about the power I was looking to make- more than stock, and far more than a mystery B18. Long term, I am still going to rebuild that B20F for boost as I still want to experiment with it.

I get some pictures of the header. The surface rust isn't the problem, it's the gaping holes in the bottom of the primaries.
Make up a jig, and get a SBC long tube header kit. It was cheaper than individual bends IIRC. Then you get 2 tries to work with.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #152
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
I'm about 90% certain he's running a B/E (thin) head gasket on this. I bought it completely assembled. That's about the power I was looking to make- more than stock, and far more than a mystery B18. Long term, I am still going to rebuild that B20F for boost as I still want to experiment with it.

I get some pictures of the header. The surface rust isn't the problem, it's the gaping holes in the bottom of the primaries.
Doh! Sounds good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Make up a jig, and get a SBC long tube header kit. It was cheaper than individual bends IIRC. Then you get 2 tries to work with.
I like it! 44.5mm/1.75" primaries at the largest if 4-2-1.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #153
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles!

So I yanked the B18 on Tuesday in preparation for the B20/M41 going in. I spent Wednesday trying to get the shortened DS ready as well as cleaning some stuff up. Thursday was powerwash the engine bay, new rear main seal and clutch, swap over the manifold studs, and throw the B20 in. Intake/exhaust manifold is installed as is the alternator, clutch fan, radiator, and fuel line. I left the M41 to drain overnight. I have 40W oil for it as well as 15W-40 for the engine. I'll slightly overfill the trans before putting it in. I also need to make wires for the reverse light switch and overdrive solenoid.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a first fire video.

Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r
The incest is implied.
vwbusman66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:19 AM   #154
klr142
Turbo, what?

w00! Fingers crossed for you!
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #155
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles!

Old 05-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #156
sspony
Board Member

Nice update, keep it going!

65' 122s (weekend cruiser) http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=308197
67' 122s (Rallyx racer)
82' 242 dl
83' 242 glt (v8 turbo swap project)
sspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:24 PM   #157
FrankBooth
Board Member

Check for intake leaks? How many turns out are the jet adjusting screws?
FrankBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #158
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBooth View Post
Check for intake leaks? How many turns out are the jet adjusting screws?
No vacuum leaks. You mean turns out from full rich? Not sure.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #159
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles!

In other news, my order to VP for a full rear end poly bushing kit, UCA and LCA poly bushings, and upper and lower ball joints arrived.

For some unknown reason, I have a driveline vibration around 25 mph on acceleration only. U-joints and carrier bearing are in good shape, the rubber isn't the best but is still firm. When I went to install the driveshaft, there was a 1/4" gap between the output shaft flange and the driveshaft itself. After I got all the bolts snugged evenly, everything turned and felt fine.

Also, when I bought the car, whenever you let off the throttle, the entire shifter would torque one direction because the trans and engine mounts were completely wasted. I installed new B30 engine mounts and a new m41 engine mount and the whole thing is still super sloppy and soft. While nothing torques around under decel, I can feel the transmission "floating" when I shift and hit bumps.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #160
cwdodson88
Board Member

Is the vibration just in one gear or in any gear at 25 under load? Could be the trans mount... didn’t see pictures of yours, but if the trans mount is cantilevered out you can get into weird speed based load harmonics.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:38 PM   #161
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Is the vibration just in one gear or in any gear at 25 under load? Could be the trans mount... didn’t see pictures of yours, but if the trans mount is cantilevered out you can get into weird speed based load harmonics.
The cross member is straight and the mount doesn't appear torqued in either direction. As it so happens, I was wrong about the 25mph. It only happens when pulling out turning left or right.

It has nothing to do with the actual driveline. I put 10 miles on it today and discovered that the rear end is doing the same wishy-washy rear steer thing that my 244 with wasted rear bushings did. I suspect the trailing arm bushings are completely wasted (would also explain the squeaking going over bumps at low speed) and is causing all the rear end noises and clunks.