• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is the 960's 3.0 reliable and respond to mods

What is "-itbs"?

I'm not that good with pi and radius and such, but how big is the difference in volume that the 3" can flow vs the 2.5"? I suppose the difference in performance is in the back pressure and that the engine pumps more volume than the 2.5" can flow out?
If the 3" is loud, is that droning in the pipes, or a matter of getting decent muffler(s) to shape the tone to acceptable levels?

A 3 inch has 44% more cross sectional area...so its pretty substantial.

ECU programming;

Sweet - is this a chip you already have/are familiar with? I'd like to be able to make use of more oomph with a chip, but also like to be able to run regular low-octane pump gas if I'm forced to during a road trip, without risking damage. I guess the essence of that is the knock-sensor backing off the timing until knocking stops, no matter how the fuel/ignition map looks, right? Or is it a case of "put this chip in, and *never* run less than xx octane!"?

HA...Fred wrote the chip he is using. He'll be able to tell you anything you want to know.

Responses above.

3" dia. = 7 sq in.
2.5" dia. = 4.9 sq in.
2.25" dia. = 3.9 sq in.
Sorry, but a 6 cylinder needs true dual exhaust. So it looks like you need to cram in two catalitic converters and two mufflers and two resonator tips in 2.25" diameter.

I will make you a video of what it should sound like in a couple of months when the snow bank melts.
Picture below should be showing dual exhaust and soon to be installed Folger's coffee can tips.

As for reliability (in stock form anyway) they are used as taxis in Euro-land. They rack up a lot of miles with normal maintenance. I mean kilometers.

There are other factors that come into the reliability of a taxi. Not just choice of car.

i was under the impression that 960's were overweight slugs

but reliable

haha ummmm....... yeah 960s and EVERY other volvo made

For some quick and dirty fun with an early 960, installed some 22# injectors from a late 960 (92-94 960s use the same 19# injectors and LH2.4 240s) or any other 22# injector for that matter. Also get rid of the whole flapper mechanism and snorkel in the in the airbox.

Swapping a 3.73 differential into an early car will give you issues with the transmission shift points.

Get on AIM!
Later. I need to go now. I have to see a man about a horse (it's a saying as you know, and what I am about to do is to look at a car that is giving my friend grief).

I will be on AIM in approximately 4.5-5 hours or so. Talk to you then.

Individual Throttle Bodies

Remove that stock intake manifold and bolt a throttle body on each cyl, would take a bit of re working of the vac lines setup but if done right would net some pretty stupid gains

Ahh, thanks. There are a stupid amount of sensors and sh!t on the stock manifold that would have to be hooked up somehow. It seems like a fairly major undertaking, but it would be Teh Sex though.

Question - how much of the restriction in the 960 exhaust is in the pipes vs in the exhaust manifold? What would be the difference in gains between replace the exhaust from manifold back, vs replacing the manifold with headers (and then the new headers-back exhaust)?

If the manifold back exhaust would net you 30+bhp I bet a nice 6-3-1 header should net you another 20-30bhp easy if it was sized and tuned right. n/a cars typically pick up big gains from a proper flowing header.

One would think with a proper exhaust manifold/header and exhaust along with a set of ITB's and the right adjustment to the tuning you should be able to net almost 300bhp w/o to much effort as it is a good sized 3L engine with a good flowing head

on the subject, i had a question about headers, i have seen quite a few guys talk of welding up a 6 to 1 collector, is there a certain reason they opt for this instead of the previously mentioned 6-3-1 or even a 6-2-1, I would think the packaging and execution of the 6-1 collector would kind of negate the advantages of it, I mean, even in ideal situations a 4-1 barely beats a 4-2-1, and frequently loses over the curve, but some of the 6-1s i've seen looked a bit rough (but hey, i wouldn't even attempt it) so i would think going with a 6-3-1 would be quite a bit easier to execute as designed, anyone put numbers to any of this?

I ment to say 6-2-1, and from all of the research I have seen a tri y design allows for tons of tuning of the power band, . Personally if I were to do it I would do prob 1.5" pipes(maybe 1.75") off the head for primaries and make them semi full length running them to under the car before I combine them to two. 2.25" pipes and then into a single 2.75" pipe and then flare it up to 3" and go 3" to the rear. The secondaries I would make 12-15" long and combine them right before the cat

I am going to try to build this style header for a local 960 if I ever find the time.

A 6-1 setup would be for all out top end, even then a proper tri-y would make more torque and power under the curve

on the subject, i had a question about headers, i have seen quite a few guys talk of welding up a 6 to 1 collector, is there a certain reason they opt for this instead of the previously mentioned 6-3-1 or even a 6-2-1, I would think the packaging and execution of the 6-1 collector would kind of negate the advantages of it, I mean, even in ideal situations a 4-1 barely beats a 4-2-1, and frequently loses over the curve, but some of the 6-1s i've seen looked a bit rough (but hey, i wouldn't even attempt it) so i would think going with a 6-3-1 would be quite a bit easier to execute as designed, anyone put numbers to any of this?

Could someone tell me where I could get a full exhaust setup for a 960? Ive only seen the ipd set but I would like to use an E36 header to a full exhaust. Also, for the representative of Hi-Tuning, I looked on your site and couldnt find a chip for just the 960 model. Do we need to custom order this or is it not available? Thanks

Could someone tell me where I could get a full exhaust setup for a 960? Ive only seen the ipd set but I would like to use an E36 header to a full exhaust. Also, for the representative of Hi-Tuning, I looked on your site and couldnt find a chip for just the 960 model. Do we need to custom order this or is it not available? Thanks
Like I said earlier in this thread (I think I said something about it at least), the chip I have is unique. It is specially tuned only to work with my engine and with very high octane of E85 and V-power gasoline.

We have not made them available for all cars yet. And when we do, they will be made for ordinary gasoline (premium or similar).

Would you like one?

Are there more people interested?

There is a pretty big market for these chips here in Sweden according to my survey. The question is if it is worth it to map these up for all 960/S90/V90 just like the other chips we sell.

Like I said earlier in this thread (I think I said something about it at least), the chip I have is unique. It is specially tuned only to work with my engine and with very high octane of E85 and V-power gasoline.

We have not made them available for all cars yet. And when we do, they will be made for ordinary gasoline (premium or similar).

Would you like one?

Are there more people interested?

There is a pretty big market for these chips here in Sweden according to my survey. The question is if it is worth it to map these up for all 960/S90/V90 just like the other chips we sell.

I'm interested in one, or 5.... lol.

I'm about to start building a racecar (SCCA STU class) 960 wagon and I don't want to bother with MS&S or a turbo. I'm going for T6 valvetrain in the B6304 head, port and polish, BMW header, full 3" exhaust and the older B6304 200HP cams. Have to keep the stock intake manifold in STU... :grrr: I think that setup would get me 300-ish HP at the crank, and through a manual trans in a gutted car, it might actually be competitive. That setup could easily be street legal, too. Which I LOVE. Add ITB's and rip up the ricers with a N/A Volvo wagon!! Hahaha. (And that setup should be pretty cheap and easy to build!)

Anyway, I am very interested in your 960 chip. I don't care about what octane the car would need, at least not for my racecar. I have access to 110 octane. I will definitely buy one if the price is right. (Under the cost and hassle of MS, basically.)

Pete.

Back