• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT Stuck under 3000 rpm

Only reason I suspect the fueling is because of that statement you made in your post ZVOLV; the fuel pressure should be 3 bar when the fpr is unplugged. When I tested it before replacement, it was not, it only made it to about 2.4-2.5 bar, or 35 psi. I should be able to recheck that tomorrow as well to see if it has improved. I also don’t think that it is an air leak, though I will try to find a way to pressurize the system to check. My vacuum levels while idling are normal, about 20 mmhg after warming up in park, this is exactly the same as before I started having the problem. Secondly, like I mentioned, it is a strangely intermittent and fluctuating problem. It seems that every time I start the car just about, the car acts one of three ways: it has no power whatsoever, has power in the low end up to 3400 ish and then goes no higher, or it behaves about normally with maybe a small misfire here or there around 3500. I can also see that I am not losing boost when the car is in that third possible state. I’m going to try to get a video tomorrow of the car driving with me attempting to accelerate so that you guys can see exactly what is happening. Also, yes, the car does rev normally while in park, not sure about neutral though. I am also going to check my plugs and the fuel pump relay. Would it be worth taking off the timing cover to see if the belt has skipped?

I encountered this problem when I tried to run NA injectors on a +T to limp the car to another storage place. So I am going to wager it is a problem with the system not delivering enough fuel.

Follow the symptom. Your fuel pressure is low. The fuel pump is bad or maybe it's a clogged fuel filter. If you do replace the pump. Put a new filter on as well. Be very careful with the short hose that goes from the pump to the filter.

Well, after much finagling with the wiring under there (the connector style had been changed from oem) I was able to get the pump on, working, with no leaks; I had replaced the filter a couple days ago. The last person to replace the pump clearly used some cheap aftermarket brand, it didn’t even have a part number, so it crapped out. This seems to have solved many of my problems too, more than just the rpm limit. It idles better, less smoke out of the exhaust, and drives much smoother. Glad to have this one figured out; time to move on to the next problem out of an endless list, I can always find things to improve. Thank you everyone for your comments; hopefully this thread helps someone else in the future.

Good find.

I once dealt with a Ford van that wouldn't rev under load and it was low current to the fuel pump.

Back