• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bertone 262 mods

KIX912

I am close to buying a 262 Bertone 80 and have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

1. Engine seems pretty strong for its time 150+HP can the V6 be improved with a turbo or other kits?
2. Seller tells me differential has a very low ratio 3.5. Can it be swapped out with a 240 rear end?
3. Car has a 3 speed OD. Can a 5 speed from a 240 be swapped without major mods.
4. Can suspension be lowered ?
5. Can bumpers be swapped out for 240 plastic ones?
Thanks for the help.
Kix

Last edited:
I am close to buying a 262 Bertone 80 and have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

1. Engine seems pretty strong for its time 150+HP can the V6 be improved with a turbo or other kits?

Yes but it ain't TB?heap.

2. Seller tells me differential has a very low ratio 3.5. Can it be swapped out with a 240 rear end?

Yes. It is after all a 240 with a bastard PRV motor.

3. Car has a 3 speed OD. Can a 5 speed from a 240 be swapped without major mods.

No the V6 bell housing is a unique pattern and the 4cyl transmissions don't swap.

Anything can be lowered with a $14.99 HF angle grinder.

69645_W3.jpg

Yes but the filler trim has a completely different pattern of holes for anchorage.

Last edited:
"3. Car has a 3 speed OD. Can a 5 speed from a 240 be swapped without major mods.

No the V6 bell housing is a unique pattern and the 4cyl transmissions don't swap."

So I would have to get a 5 speed manual from an older 262 ?

"3. Car has a 3 speed OD. Can a 5 speed from a 240 be swapped without major mods.

No the V6 bell housing is a unique pattern and the 4cyl transmissions don't swap."

So I would have to get a 5 speed manual from an older 262 ?

:nod:

Good luck with that the clutch pedal is worth more than the PRV / M46 bell housing or transmission.

:lol:

The best answer to all your questions is either keep it stock, or swap it with a drivetrain you like. The PRV is kind of a bastard child. Have they been used in race cars? Yes. Do they deserve their reputation? Also yes.

An LS with a 6 speed would fit. As would a redblock set up. Or go crazy and K swap it with a CD009.

The best answer to all your questions is either keep it stock, or swap it with a drivetrain you like. The PRV is kind of a bastard child. Have they been used in race cars? Yes. Do they deserve their reputation? Also yes.

An LS with a 6 speed would fit. As would a redblock set up. Or go crazy and K swap it with a CD009.

I understand but I would only swap in another Volvo engine. Any idea who made the correct 4 Speed OD transmission?

Last edited:
Back in the day the most common swap was a B21FT out of a wrecked 240T since they're both K-jet cars.

Park the cars side by side and move everything in the engine bay over then do the pedal box.

Anymore the 26x's & 240T's are both rare bears and thin on the ground.

The best answer to all your questions is either keep it stock.

+1

You're going to spend the car's value over trying to make more power with a PRV.

Someone on the TB discord has a 262 that was swapped to a B230, but I wouldn't expect that to be a 'cost effective' swap.

Also, if you're going to hack up a Volvo for speed, don't hack a 262. Get yourself a $20 245 or maybe a 700 and spend your entire college fund on LS swap parts.

+1

You're going to spend the car's value over trying to make more power with a PRV.

Someone on the TB discord has a 262 that was swapped to a B230, but I wouldn't expect that to be a 'cost effective' swap.

Also, if you're going to hack up a Volvo for speed, don't hack a 262. Get yourself a $20 245 or maybe a 700 and spend your entire college fund on LS swap parts.

giphy.gif

Thanks for the help.
Kix

#4 - IPD used to sell a lowering kit that works for the 262 not sure if that is different than the 240 kit, and if so if it is still available.

I once was a newbie on this forum, trying to make power with antiquated Volvo engines without bankrupting myself.

It's probably not possible unless you start with something decent.

Or an LS.

To be fair the B21FT swap wasn't any more powerful than the PRV but usually it was done on cars with a PRV that had already given up the ghost so the chop top abomination lived on.

:e-shrug:

<--- & NB4 John Lane with the bank busting PRV Flavor-aid.

You are all correct it seems messing with the PRV is a waste of money. I rather tune properly and keep the stock engine. However, I think a 4 speed OD would be
awesome. Donor could be a 260 series. I understand the PRV on the 260 series is known as the B28E.

P.S I may sound like a rookie with the 262 but I have restored a P1800E and a 240GL so I now a bit of volvo.

Whelp yea like I said good luck finding those parts or a parts car since 95%+ of them were autos, and the PRV's usually suffered a horrible dino oil related death right around 100-120K miles, or 1990-2000 which was 20 years ago now...

Whelp yea like I said good luck finding those parts or a parts car since 95%+ of them were autos, and the PRV's usually suffered a horrible dino oil related death right around 100-120K miles, or 1990-2000 which was 20 years ago now...

Oh...my is this something I need to check with the potential car? What are the symptoms?
Cylinder failure?

Something something top end oil starvation Peugeot Renault Volvo turd go BOOM!

Of course they fixed it on the later 6cyl engines but the damage to the 6cyl's reputation was done.

You are all correct it seems messing with the PRV is a waste of money. I rather tune properly and keep the stock engine. However, I think a 4 speed OD would be
awesome. Donor could be a 260 series. I understand the PRV on the 260 series is known as the B28E.

P.S I may sound like a rookie with the 262 but I have restored a P1800E and a 240GL so I now a bit of volvo.

So an 1800 guy huh?

A little bit odd but now you want to become a full blown PRVert too?

chris-hansen-gif-6.gif

:-P

Last edited:
Back