• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Difficulty Setting Code on CR-814 Radio

lummert

I installed a CR-814 radio from a 92 Volvo 960 into my 88 Volvo 760 today. I took the manual from the 960 which had the six digit radio code written in the back of the manual. When I entered the code according to instructions the radio displayed that I had entered the code incorrectly. I tried two more times to enter the same code. After the third time the radio displayed "OFF". I waited for one hour to try the code again but the radio would not respond to entering the code. So I tried waiting one hour with the radio turned on and the ignition in the ACC (I) position. It still would not respond to setting the code. Is there something that I am not doing correctly? I have the owner's manual and I followed the instructions correctly.

I installed a CR-814 radio from a 92 Volvo 960 into my 88 Volvo 760 today. I took the manual from the 960 which had the six digit radio code written in the back of the manual. When I entered the code according to instructions the radio displayed that I had entered the code incorrectly. I tried two more times to enter the same code. After the third time the radio displayed "OFF". I waited for one hour to try the code again but the radio would not respond to entering the code. So I tried waiting one hour with the radio turned on and the ignition in the ACC (I) position. It still would not respond to setting the code. Is there something that I am not doing correctly? I have the owner's manual and I followed the instructions correctly.

Either the radio has been changed at some point in time, or it's bad, which is not at all uncommon.

Difficulty Stting Code on CR-814 Radio

I recieved an email from myswedishparts today in reply to an email I had sent to them about 4 days ago when I was having difficulty setting the code on this radio. i have the correct code. I sent them the numbers on the label and the serial number and they sent me the code that matched the one in the owner's manual. Maybe I did not follow instructions correctly. I am going to hook this radio up to a regulated 13,8 volt power supply and some speakers and leave the radio turned on till I get it figured out. i went back to the junkyard and removed the amplifier and cable. I had to nearly dismantle the entire dash to get the amp cable to come loose. At least I know how to dismantle the instrument panel now.

I just had this problem with a CR814 radio for a '93 945T that the car was built with. Battery went dead and now the radio won't take the code. Got a new radio.

The saga of the CR-814 has ended. After leaving the radio connected (but turned off) to a 13.8 volt regulated power supply overnight, the radio displayed code when turned on. When I tried to enter the code the "3" button would not respond. That is the reason for the problem setting the code. The radio is junk.

I have revived this radio. I took it apart and cleaned everything and it now will except the code and play cassette tapes. I do not have an antenna plugged in to check radio reception. Now the next question. Is this radio and amplifier from 92 960 worth putting into my 88 Volvo 765?

Well, that's kinda subjective. If you don't need a CD player, or a way to play an Ipod, probably so. (you can use a tape adapter, presumably for the Ipod, they don't sound great). If you can find a period Alpine/Volvo CD changer for the trunk, you might be able to play CD's too. BTW, be very leery if anyone claims to have an Ipod cable that plugs where the CD player goes, this radio won't play that input unless it receives a data signal from the CD player.

At least on my 814, I gave up on it as it didn't have preamp outs -- it ran the Volvo amp for the rear speakers, but my fronts were playing with a mighty 5 watts per side. In the end, I just decided it'd be easier to run a deck that played CD's, had an Aux in for an Ipod, and had outputs for amplifiers.

In the long run, I might mess with it, if you splice in to the audio signal (2 wires) coming from the CD unit, I think you could make an Aux in for an Ipod using a DPDT switch, and still have the data signal to the radio -- flip the switch, convert the audio back to the CD unit.

In my case, I had a great deck lying around and a couple of amplifiers, so I just went that way.

Cheers, bt

CR-814 cant enter my code

Hey.. hopefully someone will reply cause you guys seem to have experience.

I just got a CR-814 from a junk yard, don't know what it came from, but I put it in my 91 740. I went to my local volvo dealer, and they gave me the code: 621121 It's a relief to just know that it IS supposed to be 6 digits, according to lummert. The service guys there kept saying its wrong cause it HAS to be 4 digits.

Anyways, so I get my screen to say "cod" (code).. and I put in 621121.. and it just sits there (the screen only holds 3 characters) 121 just stays on the screen forever, then I turn it off and on again and it says "rpt" I assume meaning repeat, so I put it in again, same thing.. Is there something I'm not doing? Is there a button I need to press to submit the code? The guys at the dealer said that it should just accept the code automatically and unlock. If I try a third time, it locks up for 4 hours.

Also, I just out of frustration, I continued pushing numbers one time, and they just trail on, on the screen. I could press 62112112121121212212212 and it just keeps going, only 3 characters on the screen at a time, but if I change numbers frequently I can see that they just keep getting added to the previous number in a big line of numbers.

Is my radio's anti-theft system shot? I spent $75 on this, no refunds.. :(

Also, the people at the Volvo dealership said the manufacturer may be able to plug the CR-814 into a computer and reset the code. Does anyone know who makes the CR-814? All I see on it is "Dolby Systems" but I didn't think they made car stereos..

Ah, I just found out that I need to press the 'aut' button to submit the code.. That explains a whole lot. Well, I'll wait for it to unlock and try again. I guess the service people at my Volvo dealership are not all that smart when it comes to Volvo stereos.

Well, still, if anyone has any info please let me know. The same place that says to press the 'aut' button also says to leave it on for an hour to unlock it.. Mine takes exactly 4 hours. Do they mean another hour after I submit the code?? I hope not >:

I have been told these stereos were manufactured by Alpine. I know the CD changers that go with the CR-814 were made by Alpine. IMO, it isn't worth the work involved to swap one of these and the amp into an older car. Decent CD players can be purchased for ~ $100 and take less than an hour to install.

I had to leave the radio connected to power and turned off overnight before it would display code when turned on. The code is easy to set if the radio buttons respond to pressing them. Follow the instructions for setting the radio and it will work if you have the correct code. The reason you were told that the code having 6 digits was wrong is because the radio display can only display four digits.

Here are the instructions from the manual.

To enter the code:

When the set has been disconnected from the battery the set displays "cod" after being switched on. The "cd" indicator lamp flashes. Enter the 6-digit code using the preset buttons. Please note that only 4 digits will be seen in the display. Press the "aut" button. Do not press "aut" until you have entered the correct code. If you enter an incorrect code you must enter the correct code from the beginning again.

Incorrect Code:

If an incorrect code is entered "rpE" is displayed. Enter the correct code. Once you have attempted to enter an incorrect code three times the set locks and remains locked for one hour.
"OFF" is displayed.
The unit must be connected during this time.
Enter the code again once this time has elapsed.

This radio will stay locked for more than one hour. In order for me to unlock the radio, I needed to connect it to speakers and a 12 volt regulated power supply. I left it connected and switched off overnight and when I switched on it was unlocked.

Ah, I just found out that I need to press the 'aut' button to submit the code.. That explains a whole lot. Well, I'll wait for it to unlock and try again. I guess the service people at my Volvo dealership are not all that smart when it comes to Volvo stereos.

Well, still, if anyone has any info please let me know. The same place that says to press the 'aut' button also says to leave it on for an hour to unlock it.. Mine takes exactly 4 hours. Do they mean another hour after I submit the code?? I hope not >:

Bumping this to say thanks the aut trick got my code accepted and got my original Volvo Alpine prototype tape deck going.

TB>

Thread revival.

I would prefer to keep a factory stereo in the 91 wagon I'm turning into a pickup - I have a CR814 & equalizer, however I contacted Volvo with the serial number & they do not have the code for it. There are links that pop up for 'free alpine radio codes', which of course want to provide a bunch of personal info, and sign up for all kinds of 'offers'

I tried searching for a 'hack' / process to bypass the code lock, no hits on that. Has anyone on here found a way to do that with Volvo/Alpine units? It's been over 20years since I dealt with RWD chassis-related issues....

I bet the person at the dealership that attempted to look up the code for you didn't know what they were doing. I have never had a stereo that the dealership could not give me the code for. Send me a PM with the model number and serial number and I'll give my local dealer a call Monday. I'll probably need a PM Monday morning reminding me to call it in.

I bet the person at the dealership that attempted to look up the code for you didn't know what they were doing. I have never had a stereo that the dealership could not give me the code for. Send me a PM with the model number and serial number and I'll give my local dealer a call Monday. I'll probably need a PM Monday morning reminding me to call it in.

Thank you - I actually communicated with VCNA - however I won't refuse the offer! I'll PM you the details

Back