• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

John Lane's Fire Breathing Monster info & pics

tuff240 said:
Last time I walked through the section where they put the Eagle Premiers at Pick N Pull, they had 2 of them just sitting there untouched. I laughed and kept walking. Guess I shouldn't laugh anymore! :oops:

If I'm that impressed at Thunderhill, I might be pulling one :urgod:

Patrick D.

Patrick.......If you end up riding in the Fire Breathing Monster, get ready to be pinned into your seat HARD if I am able to get it to hook up. I'll try to not make ya :barf: Heehee. Hopefully Topi will attend. He remembers the "Last time" The Volvo got to play at a track day. :shock:
JL.

Yeah, and Topi still talks about that ride. :D

Seriously, nobody who has ridden in the Monster doubts the 600hp claim. :werd:

The PRV-6 gets a bad rap for some reason. If you take a closer look at it, though, it becomes obvious it is a really bitchin' motor. It's a stout high performance engine design that was put in mostly normal cars in a boring state of tune. You could build a really potent normally aspirated engine out of one of these, too, with the right parts and a bit of work. It's just so easy to bolt a turbo on and cram all the air in with brute force. You don't need fancy cams or a lot of head work to get it to breathe that way. And it doesn't matter so much that the exhaust side isn't as good. That's why the stock exhaust manifolds work fine. It's easy to bolt up to them.
The Premiere heads do have very nice intake ports. If you take the intake manifold off you can look straight down at the backside of the intake valve.

Kenny, different ideas are fun, it's all good. My point is that if your main motivation to run twin turbos is because you think it will be cheaper than buying a TO4 then you probably can't afford to do it in the first place. If you want to do twin turbos because it will be cool and you've got the dough to sort out all the details, then go for it! Just remember to put money away for a programmable FI system because it's essential to make it run properly and not blow up.

-Dave Clark

Let me amend my earlier post...I'll start saving up for a 760 wagon! No, really, I've been thinking of ways to build a 180MPH Volvo for years now, I just needed to find the right lunatics. :freak: :freak:

ok guys , time for more tech info .

John , im impressed by your cars performance , but how much does it weigh ? i still cant fathom how the PRV6 can make power ive driven loads and didnt think they were that special , most with cam clatter and head gasket probs or timing chain probs . This eagle premier engine , is it a direct descendant of that B280 , im interested if only i could find that here in the uk , we do have alpines , but ive seen one on the road , full stop , they are that rare! .

Have you corner weighted the car at all , id be interested to see the difference in weight distribution against a 4 cyl since another reason i dont like the v6 model is the engine is stuck further forward , i always favour more weight at the rear since any rally car ive been involved with has been mid engined . My friends V8 Darrian is now around 300hp and 850 kgs , for tarmac use strictly , i had a go in that and couldnt keep my feet pressed on the footrest , cornering and braking were "holy Mofo" .

My friend incidentally was Mr hoseason "hoseasons holidays " and was involved in the canadina holiday market in a big way from the uk so may have heard of him . If you wanna see a piccy of the darrian go to my gallery on my website .

If youve got cossie front stuts , did these fit straight to the BBJ or have you got modified wishbones and the front brakes mounted straight to the caliper brakets etc ? Hmmm , i can source cossie bits quite easy here , something for me to think about . Unfortunately youve got 4 stud wheels with that setup but the rears are 4 stud aswell ?

hope you can answer these questions in your humble manner

Thanks Dave

DBSvolvos said:
ok guys , time for more tech info .

John , im impressed by your cars performance , but how much does it weigh ? i still cant fathom how the PRV6 can make power ive driven loads and didnt think they were that special , most with cam clatter and head gasket probs or timing chain probs . This eagle premier engine , is it a direct descendant of that B280 , im interested if only i could find that here in the uk , we do have alpines , but ive seen one on the road , full stop , they are that rare! .

Have you corner weighted the car at all , id be interested to see the difference in weight distribution against a 4 cyl since another reason i dont like the v6 model is the engine is stuck further forward ,
(snip)
If youve got cossie front stuts , did these fit straight to the BBJ or have you got modified wishbones and the front brakes mounted straight to the caliper brakets etc ? Hmmm , i can source cossie bits quite easy here , something for me to think about . Unfortunately youve got 4 stud wheels with that setup but the rears are 4 stud aswell ?

hope you can answer these questions in your humble manner

Thanks Dave

OK, Here ya go; and in my usual humble manner. :roll: You've got John Here.
The B-280 and the Premier are kissing cousins, with say intake manifolds that appear 90%+ the same. Many other details make clear that they are very close to each other. That stuff is not important. What is important is that both these engines are the 'late' models with the improved oiling for the cams, even firing configuration with the forged steel crank, and vastly better intake flow with bigger valves and more power to match (all compared with the odd-firing version). They all (PRV V-6's) have the rod/stroke ratio of 2 or better (The shorter stroke flavor had an even longer rod). So all good things.
I have never had a cam problem, but use synthetic oil and change my oil. That may just have something to do with that. I don''t have chain issues for likely the same reason. I also keep a watchful eye on things as is reasonably expected of caring for the racecar. I lost a headgasket through certainly no fault of the gasket. I had a leaky radiator and the coolant level got low on a stage with the predictable results. No harm done to anything else though. The sealing surfaces got a kissie in the head surfacer and it got reassembled. Runs like a champ again.
Eagle Premiers can be had here in the states now for a song. Figures huh?
I have not corner weighted, but know that my car all up wieghs 3025lbs with fuel. The V-6 is of aluminum, and weighs very close to the redblock with it's iron. It is further forward in the chassis, but I have no issues with understeer or any manner of handling concerns that I could point a finger at the engine being where it is and say "Damn my engine placement.'' It just works out real well for a place to put a nice big turbo.
Modified lower control arms with Heim joints for a lower ball joint get me out to the Cossie Group-A front suspension with the alloy uprights, rotors on hats, and AP calipers. Good junk. Got to fiddle with outer tie rods to get the bump steer under control, but that seems to not be an issue now (read: it isn't scary now). Made an adapter that needs more fiddling to get from the Volvo strut top to the Gp-A top mount. That will happen someday. :roll:
Front wheels are 4 stud, rear Volvo 5 stud. I carry two spare tires on stages. Different offset.
I'm now headed into Seattle to cobble in my other DMS rear shock and fix and exhaust leak. As I have said in the past: Always a work in progress.
JL.

gtlover said:
Or the Dave Clark Five?

Well, seeing as I was born right about the time that the DC5 were really popular, erm no, I do not have a former life as a drummer in an old British invasion band. :wink:

Mr. DBS, if you've opportunity to flog one of those crazy V-8 Darrians then you've got a pretty good idea, in sort of a different way, of how scary/fun and totally overkill the Fire Breathing Monster is. Don't worry about weight distribution, overtseer is just a tap of the throttle away. :D Oh, there might be better rally car setups out there, but they wouldn't have the over the top lunacy that so suits John Lane. :badboy: :hitit: :pow: :yikes: :whip: :slap: :booty: :urgod: (I'm sorry, I can't help myself. These things are so much fun!)

-The Dave Clark 1

The DMS rear shocks are now in the car.
The exhaust leak is fixed (what an SOB of a job!!) with a snip, cobble, reshape and reweld. Dave, you may even approve of my fixins.
Now it is time for the Powerstroke intercooler to find it's way under the hood. Dave....Wanna cobble? Or shall I? Onward. JL.

I can't see the page. I get this message when I click the link.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][C:\WINNT\System32\DBMSSOCN.DLL]General network error. Check your network documentation.

/i_shop.asp, line 122

Anyone?

So what happened to the Brembo's and custom a-arms that were used in the car prior to going to the Cosi pieces with the A/P calipers? Were they completely screwed in that suspension wreck footage? If they aren't being put to good use what would be required for you to part with them??? I'm serious about this so e-mail me off list.

Also, I noticed the IPD PIR picture references the name Topi Hynynen. Isn't he the same guy Dave Barton talks about in http://www.linkline.com/personal/dbarton/topi/
And if it is what kind of "spin" were you taking him for? :evil:

Regards,
Justin

I've dealt with Topi twice, both times got exactly what I ordered.

So did Dave... just because it wasn't what he *wanted* is not entirely Topi's fault.

FYI, I bought the rods from Dave B that the fuss was about.

lol

figures.

wayyy tooo muuuuchhhhh DRAMA!

focus on the important things....

like how much John Lane is going to KILLL you at thunderhill/anywhere.

:twisted:

wadejg said:
So what happened to the Brembo's and custom a-arms that were used in the car prior to going to the Cosi pieces with the A/P calipers? Were they completely screwed in that suspension wreck footage? If they aren't being put to good use what would be required for you to part with them??? I'm serious about this so e-mail me off list.

The custom a-arms came after the broken spindle that's pictured. The square tube a-arms may possibly make it back onto the Monster someday. It was just easier for John to cobble up some stock a-arms for the Cossie hubs than to modify the custom a-arms. The Brembos are still knocking around somewhere but you can pic those up anywhere. You have to cut the lower caliper ear off the Volvo strut and weld a new one on to get them to bolt up on the front.
I do have a jig for the square tube a-arms in the pictures so more could be made. They are not really any lighter than the stock a-arms but I made them beefy so they are stronger. I could probably make them just as well or better and lighter with round tubing. The main reason I made them was for caliper clearance with the Brembos.

wadejg said:
Also, I noticed the IPD PIR picture references the name Topi Hynynen. Isn't he the same guy Dave Barton talks about in http://www.linkline.com/personal/dbarton/topi/

Regards,
Justin

Yes, same Topi. Topi is a good guy, known him for 15 years. I think maybe it's Dave Barton you want to watch out for... :roll:

What kind of spin? Well if you go to Thunderhill I'm sure you'll find out...:help:
How about several 360's at 120mph off the end of the front straight at PIR.... :rofl: ...not long after that picture was taken.

-Dave Clark

spinning tops come to mind...

I'm coming to seattle for a wedding in the summer... I would LOVE a ride!

I promise, I wont eat anything for 24 hours before :barf:

LOL

wadejg said:

Regards,
Justin

I would put a lot more effort into watching out for the guy that put together that website about Topi then watching out for Topi.
Anytime one is buying racejunk, one must be able to deal with the fact that things require fiddling.
JL.

What was Topi's reaction to your hi-speed pirouettes?

I'm not a big fan of Topi, but I think he was just having a bad service day and he and Dave B just have a personality clash.

gtlover said:
What was Topi's reaction to your hi-speed pirouettes?

I'm not a big fan of Topi, but I think he was just having a bad service day and he and Dave B just have a personality clash.

He just giggled, as any proper rallydriver would. :lol: JL.

Back