• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

83 242 V8 LQ4 swap

Then why are you so adamant on holding the OP back from his choice in EMS that you clearly have no experience with, while trying to persuade him to use another ecu you know nothing about?

I used MS once in a build several years back and absolutely hated it, the quality at that time of the system was **** and it was never able to satisfactorily control what I was trying to run. And this was with a MS system that was built to engine spec by DIY, and not myself. As well two separate tuning shops were unable to get it working with any success either.
To me MS is only good when you have no other options or have a serious cramp on money. As far as HP tuners go it is what I am going to run on my LQ4 as good friends of mine have convinced me to do so with example from their cars and the interface is top notch.
If the OP is going to keep the LQ4 stock a stock ecu will function perfectly and cost ~$50

If the OP is going to keep the LQ4 stock a stock ecu will function perfectly and cost ~$50

You can't just plug in a stock ecu and expect it to work. You have to delete VATS which requires a $100 mail order tune, or at best a $300 used hptuners in addition to another $100 to license the VIN.

Carry along junior, you know not of what you speak. I deal with hptuners and efilive 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I'm TELLING you that you're wrong. Just because you can't figure out the worlds most easiest standalone doesn't mean nobody else can. I'm also telling you if you don't have the aptitude to figure out MS, you're not going to get very far with hp tuners.

You can't just plug in a stock ecu and expect it to work. You have to delete VATS which requires a $100 mail order tune, or at best a $300 used hptuners in addition to another $100 to license the VIN.

Carry along junior, you know not of what you speak. I deal with hptuners and efilive 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I'm TELLING you that you're wrong. Just because you can't figure out the worlds most easiest standalone doesn't mean nobody else can. I'm also telling you if you don't have the aptitude to figure out MS, you're not going to get very far with hp tuners.

Hey bud, how about you do the op a favor...
stop trying to be such a hard ass and cluttering up this guys thread.... we all know your an amazing tuner now! :roll:

Some crappy pics of measurements for Bigbegum69,

Thanks for the measurements! I had a lt1/th350 in my bertone, going turbo ls2 now and was curious about how your engine placement worked out.. keep up the good work

Ima say shut the hell up about ECUs and let's see what the OP does. I can extrapolate that, based on the quality of the fab work thus far, that whatever he chooses is not exactly going to be a "duct tape and zip ties" solution.

Fantastic build- Looking forward to more!

M.

If you ever decide to throw a 4L80/85E in there I can help you sort out options a standalone TCU.. This thing would be all kinds of awesome with an overdrive!

Sorry to revive...but it's a cool build and amazing fab, so probably not a bad one to bump.

Are any of you V8 guys running any driveline offset (side to side) or did you just center everything up and the custom diffs make it all centered? Or am I imagining the stock offset on the 1031 rear seeming to be about 1.5" to the righ (pinion centerline)?

Thanks!

Most of the 240 v8 guys run a shortened ford 8.8 that is centered. (See post #33)

I'musing a one piece driveshaft on a centered differential. The tunnel seems off center to me. I had some rubbing issues on the driveshaft I had to address....but nothing major.

Last edited:
Really small update as I have been busy as hell with my new baby girl and helping a few friends with their projects, as I haven't been wanting to spend any money on mine.

I did manage to get my wiring harness all done though which I was dreading. Thomas also got some of my parts powder coated in return for my doing a megasquirt setup for his bug. I took advantage of half off at pick n pull and got a small honda alternator and gm power steering pump that I will work on mounting this weekend. I also bought a torque converter (3500 stall) and a 87 vette radiator so the last big piece of the puzzle I need to buy is a driveshaft.

Progress has been slow but it's getting there.

Few pics

024-3.jpg

023-4.jpg

025-2.jpg

026-2.jpg

027-1.jpg

Last edited:
Now that I've helped you with the harness for my car, I realize how much work goes into making the harness come out that cleanly. Excellent work, man!

looks good with that style loom and heat shrink... I use the same style stuff and always have people asking where they could get some

two thumbs up!

I finally got a full day to work on it, it has been 102 degrees here all day but that didn't stop me. Got my honda alternator and power steering pump all mounted. Also got the brakes plumbed and then put it all back together. Looks good all clean and shiny! Progress should be a little faster now....I hope

Some pics of the progress,

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

It's coming along nicely! Hard to believe that alternator and power steering pump aren't factory for that engine. They look like they belong there!

Jeff, I can't believe you are building a volvo... I thought you would have learned to avoid them for as long as you messed with Jons 16v build. Congratulations on the new baby, I have three now (Kiri).

I might be interested in one of those 8.8 setups if you are interested in building one...

Back