• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MikeJr. 65 122s project

149208-1475068.jpg

Before the trip I cut 2 coils off of the rear progressive lowering springs, but it's still sitting to high. I'm going to cut one more off this weekend. I really just want the front to match the back.

Looks great, would like to know all the details about both the front and rear springs.

I found a 142 on Craigslist that has a B20, M41, and a single DCOE (never seen or heard of a single before). I emailed the owner a few weeks ago asking him if he would sell me just the engine and trans because they were out of the car at the time. He said no because he planned on reinstalling it and selling the car as a whole, and he was asking too much.

He emailed me last Monday asking if I'd still be interested in buying the engine and trans, so I made him a low ball offer (cause I'm currently broke), and he accepted. He had already re-installed the engine and trans back in the car, and said I could have the whole thing. I jumped on it, pay pal'ed him the money, and sent a wrecker after it. By Tuesday it was sitting in my driveway. It runs, drives, and the overdrive works perfect. I'm hoping the transmission is a Jtype.

165357571.jpg

165357562.jpg

I'm back and forth on fuel injection and may decide to go with dual DCOE webers instead. I'd still need to find out the size on the single that I now have so a can get another matching one. I'd also need to get a dual manifold and linkage.

I plan to rebuild the B20 on the stand to go in the 122. That way I can keep miles and abuse off the low milage b18 that's in there now.

The rest of the 142 is in decent shape. The paints not so hot, but the body is relatively straight, and very minimal rust. I plan on selling it with no engine and trans if anyone's interested. It'd be a good platform to build a cool car.

Also does anybody know about any other parts I can use that are interchangeable between the two cars, like the brake booster and master cylinder?

Last edited:
Single 45 DCOE kits were sold by Redline back in the day. My brother tried one on his B20 and we could never get it to run right. I think it had to do with the way the cylinders were paired in the manifold causing weird pressure pulses.

This jetting reference is pretty old. Notice they were still offering 42's. They haven't been available for years.

WeberConversionJettingReference.jpg

Yea I thought the manifold might be worth something, but I guess not. I'm going to pull it off to see what size the carb is and game plan from there.

Looking at a few pictures of the long brake booster on other 122s it looks very similar to the 140. I know the mounting surface plate is different, but I wonder if it can be fabricated to fit.
Here's the one for the 122
165362363.jpg

and here's the one for the 142
165362367.jpg

You have to pay attention to the 'Tipo' numbers. Everything is configurable on the carb *except* for the idle/low speed drillings - small holes drilled into the carb where the throttle first starts to open. These vary in size and location between the 'Tipo' numbers. If you get a mismatched pair, you'll have a PITA trying to get them tuned. Although in reality, it probably won't make *that* much of a difference, it does make a difference.

Might be easier to sell the single DCOE and buy a matched pair than to find a twin.

You have to pay attention to the 'Tipo' numbers. Everything is configurable on the carb *except* for the idle/low speed drillings - small holes drilled into the carb where the throttle first starts to open. These vary in size and location between the 'Tipo' numbers. If you get a mismatched pair, you'll have a PITA trying to get them tuned. Although in reality, it probably won't make *that* much of a difference, it does make a difference.

Might be easier to sell the single DCOE and buy a matched pair than to find a twin.

Food for thought

and here's the one for the 142

Welcome back! I just picked up one of these very rare Volvo Competition Services air cleaners for use with twin dual throat Solex carbs as are on this 142. Delighted find one, it is new old stock and has never been used - saving it for the next project.

165362367.jpg

Last edited:
Back