• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DET17's "Project cheap thrills" - '92 944T

I'll go into more detail when I write the post mortem for this build.

The basic reason is quite simple: I'm fast approaching retirement! A daily driver will no longer be a requirement.......and as I'm entering the last stage of life, my focus will shift to a Duramax Diesel and a 5th wheel RV to pull around the country :-D

I'll go into more detail when I write the post mortem for this build.

The basic reason is quite simple: I'm fast approaching retirement! A daily driver will no longer be a requirement.......and as I'm entering the last stage of life, my focus will shift to a Duramax Diesel and a 5th wheel RV to pull around the country :-D

when you out grandpa a grandpa-mobile.

Impressive.

.... the latest on the sale.....

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/cassville-1992-volvo-940-eurosport-sedan/7311136136.html

The culmination of my 11 year project to "continuously improve" one of the last RWD Volvos. This 92 rust free chassis has the complete drivetrain transferred from a 94 940 Turbo Wagon; the instrument cluster from the donor is also installed and reflects actual drivetrain mileage of 151K miles. This sedan has been upgraded with "the best of the best" that Volvo offered in the 9 series line. The vehicle has never been in the salt, and the vehicle was purchased new in Chattanooga TN. I have a title history search which validates that I am the 4th owner.

The vehicle was professionally repainted in Volvo Polar White, with 2 tone pin striping as well as a new windshield in early 2019. The sedan sits on MSW 16" wheels and TOYO Proxes 4 tires, the latter with less than 10K miles. An optional rear spoiler with 3rd brake light has been added, and a new sunroof NOS seal kit installed. European non-fog E-codes were rebuilt and retrofitted (replacing poor quality DOT lights), and HELLA fog lights added using an Volvo factory wiring harness & relay kit. All 940 badges were stripped from the car, and a one year only S90 trunk lid was added (the sole exception still in original paint). Rear tails were upgraded to 960 versions; the rear cargo area is fitted with a VOLVO cargo liner. European side turning indicators have been added and properly integrated into the wiring harness. The body was gone over by the Dent Doctor, and is very straight (save a single dent he missed on pass. front fender dogleg). A one year only 95 black non-fog grille has been added. An NOS factory power antennae has also been installed.

The drivetrain retains the legendary & reliable 94 redblock B230FT squirter engine, and the matching AW71 automatic trans. The engine has a rebuilt 530 head with new valves, springs, retainers, .010" machined and turbo valve job by GOZA Machine. A B21F intake, converted to EFI by NIW Motoring handles the air and fuel delivery (estimated at 10~15 HP increase). New Bosch S60R injectors are installed, along with a new Bosch IAC valve. The 8V OHC head is fitted with the IPD Turbo cam. Exhaust gases exit via a 90+ manifold, ported to STEALTHfti standards. The turbocharger is a MITSU 19T conversion kit to the TD04 family, from ARD Tuning. The spent gases depart in a custom 3 inch downpipe, with flex pipe and high flow 3 inch CAT. The remainder of the "cat back" exhaust system is 2.5 inch IPD TME Sweden in stainless steel. Incoming air flows are measured by a 3" 012 BOSCH AMM; all cold side and hot side charge pipes & hoses are 3 inch "Big Pipes" by do88.se. The FMIC is also by do88.se, and far exceeds the VOLVO factory intercooler. Boost pressure is currently set to 16psi by a Hallman boost control. The starter is a factory BOSCH rebuild with approx. 23K miles. Engine management is handled by an LH2.4 984 ECU with custom chip to match the modifications (WOT AFRs are 11.5, ideal for a turbo engine). The spark is handled by the BOSCH Goldbox EZK, modifed with BuchaSpark wasted spark system & new BOSCH motorsport coil. The engine torque reaches the 95 1041 rear end fitted with 4.10 final gearing and Dana Pow-R-Lok LSD.

The suspension has likewise been upgraded to adjustable coilovers at all positions, from Kaplhenke Racing LLC. Front springs are 250 lb/in, and the rears 175 lb/in. KONI Sport dampers are installed at all corners. The front sway is an IPD 25mm gold bar, the rear a factory Volvo 940 wagon bar. The front suspension LCAs were just upgraded to the latest aluminum versions, and the control radius "stay rods" were just fitted with 396mm NOS versions to maximize caster. An IPD lower chassis brace has been installed, as well as 960 crossmember braces.

Braking systems have also been optimized, upgrading the servo booster to the best 95 version as well as the pedal assembly, so to maximize braking feel. Front rotors have been upgraded to 302mm European versions from Zimmermann, the largest rotor that will fit within a 16 inch wheel. Front calipers are 850 versions and use factory upgrade mountings from SKANDIX Germany. Ceramic brake pads are by AKEBONO. Rear calipers are stock, and Zimmerman cross drilled rotors are again used. All 4 wheels use stainless steel teflon brake hoses.

There is much, much more that I have complete records of but won't list here. Serious inquiries will be provided with the link to the build thread for this vehicle, as well as a complete spreadsheet documenting the total expenditure and all components used to build this sedan (I have receipts north of $15K, and that excludes all "stage zero maintenance" which of course is complete). The AC system has been completely replaced with new parts, with the exception of the evaporator; conversion to R134a is complete.

Yes, this 1992 Swedish sedan is expensive..... but as I've stated you couldn't build this car for $15K. Just check recent auctions on BringATrailer.... these RWD Swedish tractors are increasing in value each year.

Finally - no trades, no help needed selling, no out of the lower48 state buyers need apply, no agents needed. I know this sedan will take a while to sell, and I'm in no hurry. The right buyer will know what I've got:nod:

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

Beautiful 940, hope you get what you are asking for it. Congrats on the upcoming retirement.

Thank you sir! I've got a pair of gents interested in the sedan, so we shall see.

After 39 years of engineering & manufacturing work, I'm ready for stage 4 of life!

and the eleven year project comes to an end......

For every hello, there comes a goodbye:

I drove it up the ramp, the last time:

I thought the vehicle securing method used by my Russian transport driver "PeekUp N Dropoff" was excellent:

Watching it roll away was an odd sensation. I dragged the dead carcass of this sedan up this same hill in 2010. Most definitely, mixed emotions even now as I write this.

I have invested so many HUNDREDS of hours in building this car, I couldn't even begin to add up all the time. When you know a vehicle this intimately, a piece of you leaves along with it.

However time waits for no man. This long running project ends, and I move forward into the next major challenges of building some new property up in East TN where the wife and I will retire to.

The car arrived safely to the new owner in Florida. He is a Volvo enthusiast, of course. Previously he purchased (and still owns) a 1990 740 with the B234, and while a nice low mile car he also had a desire for more power. His grandfather's last car was a 92 940 sedan, so he's always wanted one of these. A member of a local Euro car club, this car went to an enthusiast who will keep it garaged and plans to drive it to events rather than daily driver duty. I was quite satisfied to find the right buyer, knowing my old 92 sedan would be cared for rather than abused.

Sometime soon I plan to write a "lessons learned" reply to close out this thread. Right now I'm consumed with selling houses & moving! There will be many more parts from my 7/9 stash that will be coming up for sale later this year.

Fog light installation manual

So, about 2 months ago I'm scanning the TB For Sale section, and a Canadian fellow is selling off a hoard of parts, many NOS. One item that caught my eye is a conversion kit for adding the 740SE fog lights to a late 7 & 9 series. Of course by the time I find a couple pics of these fogs, they are sold (I think for $325 CAD). I ask the seller if he can advise the P/N of the kit, which he did.

Since the new front end of my car is NON Fog, I'm thinking those lights would restore the lighting that I've lost. More curious, I search eBay with the VOLVO kit #.... and this pops up:

Seller is asking $400..... I shoot him a message and ask for pics. He responds the next day with an offer for the complete kit at $200 shipped, and in the comments says "Make me an offer". Ray Charles can see this guy is motivated! I'm guessing he bought somebody's closed business and was liquidating. One counteroffer later ($135 shipped) I'm the proud owner of the complete NOS kit:

Speaking of NOS, how about this time capsule?

How many sets of these do you reckon are left?

Complete VOLVO kit including installation instructions (6 languages). Included cut out templates to perfectly locate these on the 90-92 740 and 92-98 940 bumpers:

Corners of each cut radiused using a drill bit, because stress riser:

Fine tooth blade in my Jig saw, easy peasy to saw the hole out for each light's clearance:

I didn't taker the time to document the electrical work, which is considerable. The entire fuse block is removed, and a relay & base must be installed, as well as a good half dozen control, power & ground wires. Once that is added, a new control harness is routed under dash (all of mine was out/open so my timing was great). Finally the power cable is routed thru the firewall and up to just above the battery area. The coolest thing.... all OEM Volvo cables with the same style of material & red tags for electrical identification as the car came with.

Tip of the hat to VOLVO.... the conversion kit is extremely well documented, with the only real challenge being the wiring on the control side is executed differently by Country laws..... and I followed the USA wiring. My fogs are actuated with the low beams (you can select high beams also), as I know high beams in thick fog don't work very well.

The finished product..... what do you think?

Hi, I have one fog light kit but I am missing the installation instruction and template for cutting hole in the front bumper. Is it possible some one have one copy to sell me?

Hi, I have one fog light kit but I am missing the installation instruction and template for cutting hole in the front bumper. Is it possible some one have one copy to sell me?

Just recently, the buyer of my old 940 sedan messaged me. Shared that the car was running great.... thanked me again for it. Right after that, I realized that while I had intended to write up a final "lessons learned" segment, that I likely had forgotten to do so. Well I'm just about to do that finally. Michael Yount selling his excellent 242 with LS3 power on BaT also jogged some memories of my old machine and RWD Volvos in general.

Hopefully before this weekend passes, I'll get those lessons documented and properly close out this thread.

Finally, the "Lessons Learned" from my 940 sedan project. Take heed from the voice of experience!

1. Survivor Car - As hindsight is 20-20, I now know that I should have waited for a much better vehicle as a starting point. I know these cars are now ~ 30 years old, but I continually see proof that true survivors exist.... one owner, all service records. You will be much ahead of the game if you search and WAIT until you find one of these for your project. Why you ask? My sedan had a mild mailbox encounter and required a front fender, hood as well as pass. rear quarter repairs to make it look right. Between 2 events at my local body shop, I spent more than $5K on body & paint work. Save yourself all this expense by buying a survivor car.... polish the OE paint and be thankful for it.

2. 95 940 brake booster/pedal - The factory brakes on my 92 always left me underwhelmed.... and expecting more from them. Once I learned of the 95-98 revision to enhance the brake booster/pedal mechanism, I sourced one. Best braking feel the car ever had! It actually had braking performance like a modern car should have.

3. Ben's coilovers - I fooled around with revisions to "sport suspension" for most of the time I owned the sedan. Near the end of the project, I invested in a full coilover system from Ben. I can only say the change to the vehicle was "transformational". My advice to you is don't waste your time with "sport springs" from IPD et al, but save your $$$ and go straight to Ben. Period.

These remaining lessons are specifically related to redblock powertrain vehicles, and presume retention and optimization thereof.

4. 19T Turbo / TD04 MITSU - Early and midterm in the project, I ran a Garrett turbo. Finally I saw the light and built a 19T MITSU for the sedan. This is nothing but WIN for vehicles less than 300 HP. The response of the 19T is instantaneous, the OE oil supply lines and drain return lines work flawlessly without leaks (anything else you cobble together will leak oil.... I know). I do recommend this turbo with the 3" V-Band TIG welded to the correct exhaust housing, as I did it. For my money, the best bang for the redblock buck is this 19T with a 3" downpipe.... what is behind that I feel is of limited consequence. I ran the stainless TME 2.5 exhaust backward.... and don't believe for a minute a "full 3" system" gains you much of anything in these less than 300 HP applications.

5. do88 FMIC with pipes - I made this upgrade simultaneously with the 19T and 3" downpipe.... so I cannot separate them from the impact each had on performance. I know the evidence strongly supports such a design of FMIC. While the old factory plastic charge cooler will hang together for one pass, they then begin to heat soak and your charge temperature will continue to elevate. This is a fact, search for the evidence yourselves. I bought the full "big pipes" setup right up to the throttle body, and recommend it. Be sure to use proper T-bolt clamps as I did, just like they use on turbo diesels.

6. AW71 "accumulator mod" - My 94 vintage Japanese automatic shifted flawlessly and took a steady diet of 18psi in doing it. I learned late in this project that TOYOTA used the same family transmission for millions of their vehicles. Probably wouldn't last that long for the 300+HP or drag racing guys, but that wasn't me and I suspect it isn't the case for the majority of you all. Also use the IPD oil flush kit, keep your trans running on clean cool fluid and it will serve you well. Oh yes, if possible find a 95 vintage AW71 which is even more robust.

7. 4.10 final gear ratio - The NA 9 series vehicles all (to my knowledge) came factory fitted with this DANA rear end. The vast majority of them had an automatic in front of them so they are in near perfect condition. I also believe most if not all of them came factory with a G80. Compared to the common 3.73 gearing in Turbo cars, this provides a +10% torque increase to the rear wheels! Those of us who drove these RWD redblocks know they aren't economy vehicles.... and yes while the RPM increase 10% (remember the relationship between HP, torque and speed) the fuel consumption difference is marginal. My sedan was happy to buzz down the freeway at 75mph with the 4.10 gear. Getting torque to the rear tires is what it's all about friends.

8. OE Cams, run "straight up" - All the aftermarket cams fall short of wearing like an OE cam. Find the right OE cam for your turbo, and use the 93+ round tooth belt / gears for bulletproof reliability. I ran an IPD Turbo cam for all those years, and was disappointed when I learned how soft they were and that they wear at an alarming rate. Again, OE reliability for the win. Oh yes, don't waste your time with "BLING" such as cute anodized adjustable timing gearsets..... really just eye candy and IMO gain you relatively little in engine HP.

9. 93/94+ 9 series accessory bracket - I ran a couple of the earlier brackets, the type with about a dozen rubber sleeves to isolate the noise. Within 6 months, I had loose belts, belt squeal. Finally put on the last version with the rock solid AC compressor mount, and the belts were stable and didn't require continual adjustment or replaced bushings. Forget those blue poly sleeve bushings, go straight to one of these late design accessory mounts.

That's it folks! Most of these lessons learned apply to the 2 series cars as well.

While I am now retired and focused on other things, I am not completely out of the Volvo game:

IMG_9714.jpg

IMG_9718.jpg

Last edited:
Great summarization!

I've been interested in updating the brakes on my 94 to the 95+ setup. The only parts required are the pedal box and brake booster, correct?

Great ending to one of the best builds on the forum. Now let's see some 242 build pics!

Back