• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Recommendations for LS engine swap shops?

Wish I could find a yard who would do that, I spent 4hrs pulling a 95 squirter block by myself at our local PNP. Would have gladly paid some extra $$$ to have them do it

There are guys at the yards who will pull engines. They charge about $100 to pull an engine

A couple of yards around here (Speedway, riverside) will pull them for 'free' (I guess they do charge a bit more than the others, but they're also 'variable' pricing - nothing posted, they just sort of look you over like a carnie guessing your weight, then state a take-it-or-leave-it price) - Pick-n-Pill and LKQ/UPAP have the portable hoists and I guess they'd expect you to pull it. Guess which ones I'd buy a motor from, lol.

My 6.0 for the IROC-Z I have was way overpriced. $650 got me two "rebuildable" 6.0 blocks. One had thrown a rod through the cylinder, the other had a blown head gasket. I sold the one with the hole for $300, and the other is in the engine shop for a long time. These things are pricey. It's all the getting things piece by piece, because nearly every place will sell every part separately, with them knowing they can make more money that way.

Yeah, there was a thread not long ago on that subject. I hadn't done the maths diligently up to that point, just sort of casually added up a couple of the bigger chunks and had a figure in my head that was probably short by 1/3rd, or even 1/2.

http://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=358672

I have a hunch that people who do V8 swaps 'in a weekend' and 'for $1500' are leaving a lot out.

And to redo this post of mine - I forgot to cap off the thought I was going with there. Look through that thread, look at the costs, and realize that those are pretty much all valuing the labor involved at $0 an hour. A shop is going to charge something like $100 an hour. And there's generally a lot of labor involved in sticking an engine where it doesn't belong. I'm not sure, but I think you'd have to double or even triple those 'parts-only' costs in that thread to arrive at something a shop would charge.

I'll sale you my 93 245 LS build. Finishing a few minor things that have been lingering around for the last 10 years.

I bet Paul in Wendell, MA would do the work for you. I don't have his number off hand but someone else here may and perhaps PM it to you. Good luck.

Hey guys, new to the forum here. looking for other posts like this on a V8 swap in a 240, Specifically a 283 small block chev with a 2 spd powerglide trans.

Go to the top of the page, right under the turbobricks logo, you should see 'search'.

Type 'small block chevy' or something to that effect in there, and I'm sure someone on here has tried/done that.

Don't expect any off-the-shelf parts for an SBC-240 swap though. LS is way more popular these days.

Hey guys, new to the forum here. looking for other posts like this on a V8 swap in a 240, Specifically a 283 small block chev with a 2 spd powerglide trans.

There is a guy here who has done that. I can't recall his name but hopefully he will see this thread and make a comment. Good luck with it.

Back