• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Should I put a b230et into a 240 Wagon

OldTank

Hi Team

(long time watcher)

I have a question. I have a standard NA 1991 240 GL wagon and looking at the turbo install (my aim is to build a 200-240hp max engine) and have a few questions.

On a whim I bought a beat up 760 turbo intercooler 1987 with a b230et. (I'd been looking for a b230ft for ages)

My understandings at the moment are this is a short rod turbo, not like the b230ft engine. So couldn't pull anywhere near as much power or psi pressure. Currently factory its a 182hp from what I read.

My questions at the moment are:
1. Has anyone here done the b230et install before? How did you find it? Was it worth it if you had to do it again would you?
2. Can I just pull the manifold and turbo and intercooler off etc and bolt onto my 240's red block? What issues would I have with that?
3. The car cost about $400US. Have I wasted my time and money.

Any links from prior articles and good advice welcomed. I'm pretty new to engines as used to working with timber. So knowledge is iffy. I've owned my 240 for 12 months and been slowly restoring her to former glory.

You could +T your engine with quite a few of the parts from the 760. Your car is most likely LH2.4 fuel system, but you would need to verify that, as you would probably (and I may be wring if someone wants to chime in) need to swap out the fuel and Ignition computers currently in your 240 for turbo computers from a 740 or 940 turbo. I may be wrong In what I'm saying but the B230ET is just the European version of the B230FT, rod length is the same but the rod thickness may be 9mm rods instead of the 13mm rods that should be currently in your 240. However, with the power level you're wanting to achieve rod thickness shouldn't really be a concern.

A lot may depend on your capabilities along with tools and time at your disposal.

Checking the comprssion and performing a leak down test on both engines would ideally be the best starting point to decide which engine to use.

Yes, B23ET have forged rods, but B230's do not. If it has a 531 then it is a European engine, maybe even Canadian. Where are you located OldTank?

I'm in New Zealand.

My other question is can I buy/ replace the rods with better ones? Would that allow me to up the boost without detonation.

The plan is to really check the engine over and tidy it up over time. I'm also keen to open it up and replace seals and gaskets.

Or is it just worth waving more money under the noises of people who have a b230ft engine?

Thanks for your advice as learning learning at the moment.

Rods won't make any difference in preventing detonation, that's up your tune. However better rods will hold more power if you up the power with more boost and fuel and the correct timing.

What engine management system does it have? Is it K-Jet, Motronic, or LH? (I'm guessing Motronic.) A good picture of the engine bay would help.

Back