• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

dirty, old and rusty: a tale of a $600 meatball

esmth

The member
IMG_0437.JPG

I've been meaning to make this thread about my car for a long time, but never got around to it. The longer I wait, the harder it'll be to start, so here I go. It's had too much molestation to list done to it over the years so I'll go over the basics:

Updated April 29th 2021
  • 1991 Volvo 240
  • Single stage white paint (the entire driver's side was ****tily resprayed at some point?)
  • Blue interior
  • B230F +T -T
  • <strike>4-2-1 header w/ 2.5" pipe and a single glasspack</strike> stock manifold + IPD stainless header pipe into <strike>magnaflow spun catalyst</strike> custom stainless 2.5" mentrel bent exhaust with 2 Flowmaster Super HP-2s in series
  • <strike>B cam w/ STS gear</strike> K cam
  • KL underdrive crank pulley
  • M46 swap
  • LH3.1 swapped with 231 B230FD EZK<strike>"""tuned""" computers with ostrich</strike>
  • Wasted spark with LS D513a coils
  • Coilovers - 250lb front coils w/ Bilsein HD, 150lb rear coils with mystery meat shocks
  • Kaplhenke spherical <strike>torque rods, panhard rod, and</strike> TABs (Went back to stock w/ poly for the rods)
  • <strike>Spartan locker</strike> open diff 3.73

IMG_0168.JPG

I +t'd it awhile back, but it was my daily driver and I was commuting daily into Boston with it so I replaced the turbo setup with the 421 exhaust to keep it simple and reliable. I now have another car, so I can do more fun things with this one again.

I'll update this thread when I do more dumb crap to this car

Last edited:
I got these as a social distancing project: 10x300 front and 150 rear coil overs
IMG_0524.JPG

I got this deep into the car
IMG_0504.JPG

before I realized the gland nuts I have are not the right kind. Thread is not even close!
IMG_0525.JPG

****, so this is on hold for awhile until I get the correct parts

Last edited:
a little drizzle isn't stopping me from making atleast some progress. Painted my control arms with farm implement enamel to have a fighting chance of staying rust free for the time being. Picked bright blue for FRIGID undercarriage temps. Also it matches my oil pan. Got my family friend to help me press the poly bushings in.
small_IMG_0527.jpeg

My attempt to get 45 ft/lbs into the ball joint bracket thing. knicked my ricer paint here :(
small_IMG_0528.jpeg

Hub is COVERED in old grease and brake dust.
small_IMG_0529.jpeg

Cleaned up real nice though!
small_IMG_0530.jpeg

Bearing checks out, no need to replace them for now. Just a grease re-pack.
small_IMG_0533.jpeg

Its all coming together. Should have painted that bushing bracket as well. Oh well. Still need the damn gland nut before i can bolt this sucker in.
small_IMG_0536.jpeg

Ended up buying this... should make any future job go by faster. Only is 166ft/lb but haven't found a nut it couldn't crack loose yet!
small_IMG_0563.jpeg

With the help of the imact, this side came out in less than 45 minutes. Most of which was fiddling with the brake lines.
small_IMG_0573.jpeg

epic rust belt patina. Would you believe this side sat about 3/4 of an inch lower than the passenger side? The strut spinny-bearing was super sad as well.
small_IMG_0574.jpeg

this control arm definitely didn't have much life left in it. Happy they're getting replaced.
small_IMG_0577.jpeg

Last edited:
man... that old control arm looks like my frame right behind my rear spring perches...

*but noooo....this was the perfect 240 for me.... a great deal i said....*

man... that old control arm looks like my frame right behind my rear spring perches...

*but noooo....this was the perfect 240 for me.... a great deal i said....*

oof... though at least that can be cut out and welded, if I'm thinking of where you're talking about.

With this suspension done, I think I have replaced most all the sketchy parts. Well, besides the sticky throttle cable and leaky gas filler seal lol

I am missing the m16x1.5 nut for the drivers side strut... other than that the front coilovers are done. I am too spooked to go to a hardware store rn to find a replacement.

edit: anyone know what specs i should ask for at the alignment shop? I was thinking of taking it to the volvo dealer the next town over that always has dozens of bricks in his lot.

sad meatball :-(

The bubble fitting seized to the line. Luckily the parts shop had two new fittings. Have one as a spare now for future f-ups

Passenger side is done. lookin gud

Friend let me borrow his press. made easy work of these bushings. the old ones were original from 1991. West German!

got thru the driver side without taking pictures, but I got it to move for the first time in awhile!

<video width="560" height="315" src="https://esmth.com/f/200529/IMG_0779.mp4" controls></video>
She wasn't happy being woken from slumber. A quick spin of the fuses fixed it :roll:

<video width="560" height="315" src="https://esmth.com/f/200529/IMG_0781.mp4" controls></video>
<video width="560" height="315" src="https://esmth.com/f/200529/IMG_0780.mp4" controls></video>
It drives! Alignment is fugged. That banging was a loose sway bar link

Ride height I liked settled a bit, but i kinda dig the rake.

Power washed the engine bay. Only messed with 3 sensors in the process

Replaced the high pressure power steering line. Got some strawberry milkshake for the boys. Replacing this also solved the mystery whine the engine area would make when cold!

Last edited:

Re-sealing the diff. I think my cover is warped. I cannot seem to make it seal correctly! always leaky from the top.

I ended up buying this. from a 1979 b21f w/ kjet

I got a B cam! already have one :-P

Can still see cross hatching but there is quite a bit of vertical scoring. Nothing ''catches'' a nail. You can feel it, though.

a significant amount of build up

cleaned it up a little bit

Got the pistons out to see the scoring a little better

Pistons again

I can't get this guy out of the head. :-( Tried heat, pb blaster, and vice grips. I think I need more heat. propane isn't enough?

Last edited:
Friend let me borrow his press. made easy work of these bushings. the old ones were original from 1991. West German!

Nice project! I also recently found my driveshaft coupler to be from west germany, appears Volvo had some strange part sources haha.

As for the stud, weld on a nut, whack it with a hammer whilst still hot and give it a turn. It allows the aluminium to expand, the whack gives the shock to clean the thread, and whilst it's still hot you should be able to get it out, a big nut is preferred:-P

Nice project! I also recently found my driveshaft coupler to be from west germany, appears Volvo had some strange part sources haha.

As for the stud, weld on a nut, whack it with a hammer whilst still hot and give it a turn. It allows the aluminium to expand, the whack gives the shock to clean the thread, and whilst it's still hot you should be able to get it out, a big nut is preferred:-P

I think the weld trick might be my best bet. Problem is I don't have a welder and the block is in my basement :oogle: I might try oxy + map gas first, otherwise I'll take it to my buddy's shop

Lower the rear or raise the front to get more weight on those back tires for more traction. :)

Lower the rear or raise the front to get more weight on those back tires for more traction. :)

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't planning on having it that low, but it settled a little bit from where I wanted it. I will fix it eventually! :lol:

Rusty bricks united!

I feel your pain. It looks like you're doing a good job at staying on top of it though! Good luck.

Last edited:
turns out my steering u-joint was super sloppy. I didn't even notice really until I power washed the bay and the next day the u-joint was covered in grease again
<video width="560" height="315" src="https://esmth.com/f/200612/IMG_1172.mp4" controls></video>

obtained a new one of pure chinesium. feels well built but it is hard to make metal feel cheap

the old one did not want to budge. I used a torch at first and it didn't do much so I moved on to a hack saw

big ole cut

new one installed. steering feels a little better

Last edited:
Also, does not running power steering put more stress on these u-joints? Was curious as i had the lines looped with no pump for a year or three with this car

Also, does not running power steering put more stress on these u-joints? Was curious as i had the lines looped with no pump for a year or three with this car

Definitely. The pump powers the rack, so everything up the chain is experiencing that added force.

Second hand u joint is better option. That u joint will break shorty. Why don't you have power steering again? It's so easy to have it and it makes a world of difference.

Definitely. The pump powers the rack, so everything up the chain is experiencing that added force.

Thanks, thats what I thought

Second hand u joint is better option. That u joint will break shorty. Why don't you have power steering again? It's so easy to have it and it makes a world of difference.

I do have power steering now, but for awhile I didn't because the whole ac removed/shared bracket situation. I have this now: https://www.stsmachininginc.com/col...3-b230-240-a-c-delete-power-steering-brackets

Back