• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dave's 1990 740 Turbo Wagon T5 Manual

Picked up these 16x8 aluminum wheels for a decent price a while ago and got them mounted with 225x50s. I’m not sure of the offset, I think its 0. Ebay 25mm spacers in the front and 32mm in the rear. Cut two coils front and rear. Front rubs pretty bad, need to fix but still deciding between coilovers or ipd lowers with bilstien hd’s.

Not sure if its the spacers but there is a vibration in the steering wheel around 50mph. I think it might actually be the shi**y tires. When jacked up and spinning the wheel it rotates slightly like an oval. Tires were $40 for 4 so couldn’t pass it up, especially because 225/50/16 is not a common size. I won’t be cheaping out on the next set of rubber. Anyways, I think it looks cool.

3248-B478-6-C5-F-427-B-A821-9-C6-B17423-CC3.jpg

52-FCB2-C1-ECE5-4783-94-DB-6-A857-A57-EF61.jpg

Thanks! I ordered the gel version, can’t wait to see the improvement. I really need to replace the headliner and I want to do a sunroof delete, just not sure the best way to go about it right now.

Sweet wheels! Are those the old jr3's?

As for a sunroof delete, most of the metal is pretty thick so welding it should manageable, the curve would probably be the hard bit. Cutting it from a scrap car might be the best bet. Also get a Kevlar blanket, those are great for welding near flammable stuff, alongside a wet blanket ofc:)

Nice work!

It's frustrating when required parts for a conversion are not clearly identified up front - DeeWorks should indicate specifics with their adaptors, for example.

Why delete the sunroof? Seems like crazy amount of work (to do properly) for what? I guess if you live in a place where the sun never shines & it rains all day? :-( Personally, I'd never buy a Volvo that didn't have a sunroof, I like the light over my head.

Yeah, I live near Seattle, lots of long rainy dark cold days. Besides, the felt is partly detatched/destroyed and I never open the roof anyways. Whenever I do open it I need to hold the felt in place when I close it or it won’t shut all the way. I think its leaking slightly which is also why my headliner is sagging so bad. I never find water on the fooor though. Persobally, I’d rather take a flat top roof for some weight reduction (lol), simplicity and not having for worry about leaks.

Sorry for my misunderstanding, what parts are you referring too exactly?

I have no welding experience or equipment. I’ve thought about rivets and silicone, some kind of double sided tape? I don’t want to half ass the job if I do it, but I can’t weld it myself. I’m not in a huge rush anyways, the car has other problems that have priority, I dont see a sunroof delete happening until next summer anyways.
Nice work!

It's frustrating when required parts for a conversion are not clearly identified up front - DeeWorks should indicate specifics with their adaptors, for example.

Why delete the sunroof? Seems like crazy amount of work (to do properly) for what? I guess if you live in a place where the sun never shines & it rains all day? :-( Personally, I'd never buy a Volvo that didn't have a sunroof, I like the light over my head.

Last edited:
I just checked the listing for the adapter on Deeworks. I think he’s added more details on the correct input shaft. I think the description was different when I bought mine. Now it’s very clear which shaft is needed for the kit to work. It was annoying for me to figure this out with no knowledge on transmissions or swapping input shafts and very little mechanical knowlege in the first place.
I was simply commenting on your first post where you mentioned the issues with the input shaft - from your comments it appeared you were having issues with T5 fitment with a Deeworks adaptor

Been a long time since an update! These are some of the latest additions

Redblock powered stage 2 chips
Green giant injectors
3-inch AMM
KL racing intercooler
Yoshifab subframe reinforcement
BNE torque rods
Qwik stick shifter

Last December I somehow managed to bend the clutch fork. Right after that happened this ugly 94' 940 turbo popped up for $500 non-running.

IMG-1679.jpg
IMG-1681-1.jpg

Found that it only needed an AMM and a temp sensor then it started right up and hasn't needed anything since. The 740 sat the whole winter because I was just busy with school and skiing as much as possible, also had to do this clutch job over grass, really a pita in the middle of the winter.

Got the new clutch fork installed around 6 weeks ago then really badly fractured my foot cliff jumping, got nine screws and a plate in my foot now but it finally feels ok to start driving again. It does have some problems though, it runs really rich 10-11 afr at 5-10psi and reeks like gas in the cabin. Also likes to idle rough and die when cold. Once I get this figured out I think she will rip pretty damn good. Should probably get an alignment and fix the power pump at some point. I don't have any further power plans, still would like to do the sunroof delete, make my own headliner, upgrade the stereo, and just make it a nice all-around car.

I really like this shift knob I found on eBay. I made the thread adapter for it in my machining class at school.
IMG-2108.jpg

IMG-2106.jpg
IMG-1258.jpg

The upper torque rod does smack the upper piece of sheet metal that was welded on when the suspension compresses. Not sure if it's supposed to, seems like it was the only place for it to go and I couldn't find any photos of other people who have used this kit.

Back