• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MegaSquirt 1 vs Ostrich 2.0 vs TLAO Chip (B230FK)

Boulder Dash

I Just stumpled across an old MegaSquirt 1 V2.2 dirt cheap, and as it seems like the TLAO chips (both fuel and ignition) are hard to come by in Europe, I though about this as an alternative that would be cheaper than a chip emulator.
For now the engine is stock, but I do mean to up the boost pressure of the 13C to around 12-14 psi in the near future using and MBC. I also got an IPD turbocam on the shelf.
Further down the pipeline I also see a 3" downpipe and a full 3" exhaust with a single silencer, and I?m also on the lookout for a decent 19T, which I guess will be beyond the capabilities of the stock fuel prom program as far as being able to adapt the fuel accordingly.

At first I thought about getting a set of chips, but they seem to be hard to come by (at least the reputable ones), but they are of course the most straighforward upgrade fueling and spark wise.

I then rediscovered the chip emulators, which seems somewhere in between a simple chip replacement and a stand alone programmable engine management, in that it is rather simple to install, but just as time consuming to tune right, and you are, of course, still bound by the limitations of LH 2.4.

But then other day I was offered a simple MegaSquirt 1 V2.2, for not much more than the cost of a pair of chips, but I realize that the hardware is very old at this point (though not older than LH 2.4).
I do find the prospect of undertaking both the wiring and the following tuning of the software exciting, also as a way of hands on learning regarding wiring and car electronics in general, and I do like to fiddle with both hardware and software, so the aspect of being able to continuously tweaking values and parameters seems like an obvious way of wasting my spare time with something valuable :)

So back to my question - would anybody in here advise against getting a MegaSquirt 1 V2.2 as a cheap start; is it an obsolete platform (even for a LH 2.4 powered B230) only leading into a dead end?

Nothing wrong with MS1 with a v2.2 board.

Just load the MSnS extra firmware on to it and rock out.

Plenty of turbobrickers are running on that setup.

If you really want to upgrade you can upgrade the processor to make it a MS2

I think you are worrying too much, take little steps in modding your car. Full 3" exhaust is a big performance mod starting out, along with turning up the boost on that little 13c. You may be surprised what lh 2.4 can adapt to.

I run a Holset hx30 with full 3" exhaust, do88 intercooler, blue injectors from a v70 with boost turned up to 18 psi and a 4:10 rear diff. On stock lh2.4, my afr's are a little rich under full power but that's better than lean. it's a lot of fun but you gotta draw the line somewhere with stock lh.........little steps, KISS

I Just stumpled across an old MegaSquirt 1 V2.2 dirt cheap, and as it seems like the TLAO chips (both fuel and ignition) are hard to come by in Europe, I though about this as an alternative that would be cheaper than a chip emulator.
For now the engine is stock, but I do mean to up the boost pressure of the 13C to around 12-14 psi in the near future using and MBC. I also got an IPD turbocam on the shelf.
Further down the pipeline I also see a 3" downpipe and a full 3" exhaust with a single silencer, and I´m also on the lookout for a decent 19T, which I guess will be beyond the capabilities of the stock fuel prom program as far as being able to adapt the fuel accordingly.

At first I thought about getting a set of chips, but they seem to be hard to come by (at least the reputable ones), but they are of course the most straighforward upgrade fueling and spark wise.

I then rediscovered the chip emulators, which seems somewhere in between a simple chip replacement and a stand alone programmable engine management, in that it is rather simple to install, but just as time consuming to tune right, and you are, of course, still bound by the limitations of LH 2.4.

But then other day I was offered a simple MegaSquirt 1 V2.2, for not much more than the cost of a pair of chips, but I realize that the hardware is very old at this point (though not older than LH 2.4).
I do find the prospect of undertaking both the wiring and the following tuning of the software exciting, also as a way of hands on learning regarding wiring and car electronics in general, and I do like to fiddle with both hardware and software, so the aspect of being able to continuously tweaking values and parameters seems like an obvious way of wasting my spare time with something valuable :)

So back to my question - would anybody in here advise against getting a MegaSquirt 1 V2.2 as a cheap start; is it an obsolete platform (even for a LH 2.4 powered B230) only leading into a dead end?

I think you are worrying too much, take little steps in modding your car. Full 3" exhaust is a big performance mod starting out, along with turning up the boost on that little 13c. You may be surprised what lh 2.4 can adapt to.

I run a Holset hx30 with full 3" exhaust, do88 intercooler, blue injectors from a v70 with boost turned up to 18 psi and a 4:10 rear diff. On stock lh2.4, my afr's are a little rich under full power but that's better than lean. it's a lot of fun but you gotta draw the line somewhere with stock lh.........little steps, KISS

Is this on stock LH 2.4, or chipped?

Look interesting. Are they comparable to the TLAO chips in regards to adaptability?
Seems like the TLAO chips are used in a wide selection of setups (from near stock to +300 hp).

As with all chips sold, they are adapted to the application, with tlao as well as with the ones by redblockpowered I sell in Europe, it depends on what you require. The mapping is usually chosen depending on your needs;-)

As with all chips sold, they are adapted to the application, with tlao as well as with the ones by redblockpowered I sell in Europe, it depends on what you require. The mapping is usually chosen depending on your needs;-)
How would the chip handle slightly bigger injectors (as the engine was fitted with a set of NA injectors for some reason I bought a set of Saab 9-5 Aero EV6 high ohm injectors that are 373 cc afaik)?
Would it also tolerate a full 3" exhaust, IPD cam and a slightly modified 530 head, as long as you stay with the 13C?

For the Injectors, scaling can be applied, that is not a problem. The higher flow should also be okay, we can provide a slightly extended mapping, which should protect for any overshoot in case the flow deviates more than expected:)

Feel free to send me a pm, that's more convenient. Rpm is kept stock yes, it could be increased but with the 13c, there really is little to be gained.

Shipping should be around 10?, I sell the chipsets for 80?, and I also still have one prototype ezk chipping board you can get for free if you're willing to provide a review and feedback:)

Guy in norway I found on fb just sold me a set of 2.4 chips good for 20psi and run light blue injectors stock intake 16t 2 1/2" do. Megasquirt for this cars sub 300 whp is just extra steps

Where you stand at the moment you have no need for any chips. Chips do not make you extra power, they are there to support mods. As a responsible vendor at this stage I would steer you away from any chips. Before looking at chips you need to decide on what turbo you will run, injectors and air flow meter (looks like cam you will already run the IPD offering).

Chips are a nice easy way of supporting most common mods to these engines upto around the 300BHP region. It is always best to discuss what mods you plan and check teh chips are suitable. There are odd DIY guys selling chips, one cropped up in the UK recently and they were removing the lambda function so the ECU was not able to adapt resulting in chips that were not flexible and poor consumption. Stand alone has lots of advantages but only once you have mastered the mapping. A good way to learn would be to have a loom that plugs into the original ECU connectors so you can play and rather than put up with problems plug the original ECU's back in and have another go when you have time

Back