home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-02-2020, 01:33 AM   #1
TheMenaceSD

Default Rough / Sputtering Idle

I replaced the Idle control valve and it started up and didn't die right away. It would try and catch its self and try to keep running. If I held the throttle down slightly it would hold and then some smoke would come out of the exhaust manifold. If I held it down for a couple of minutes it would idle. During this time there is a high pitched sound that seems to be coming from the power steering area, when I press on the throttle the sounds get higher. I have found a hole in the rear muffler but not sure if that is the total culprit. Any help on the possible issue and a solution is greatly appreciated. I am not a mechanic but can figure it out if given some guidance.
TheMenaceSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:05 AM   #2
iamrolling
Board Member

Which car? Does it have a MAF? Disconnect it and see if the car stays running. That sounds like what happened to me when my MAF spontaneously failed. Your high pitched sound might either be a belt or a vacuum hose. Check both for cracks.
iamrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
TheMenaceSD

The car is a 1990 240 DL Wagon. I will check MAF and it might need a good cleaning. I believe the sound is when the power steering pump is spinning. When it spins faster the sound gets louder. I have a new pump on the way to see if that will fix it.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
Mr. V
Board Member

Have you checked for fault codes?

see: http://www.volvohowto.com/how-to-rea...993-volvo-240/

If any trouble codes are found that is what you should focus on first.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Disconnect the vac hose at the fuel pressure regulator and check for liquid fuel.

Spray around the intake with brake cleaner and see if the idle changes= air leak.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
TheMenaceSD

I have checked the codes. The system does not show any codes, and the check engine light is off on the dash. I have pulled the fule pressure regulator and no fuel leaks out, you can feel a vacuum in the line. I will check for a air leak as well as check and clean the MAF to see if anything changes.