• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

So I guess there are no new steering racks for these cars anymore...

Went to the junkyard today could only find Cam racks, all the cars that might’ve had ZF racks were pulled. Trying to ID the rack in my car, boots look like cam boots but the body of the rack looks like a ZF. So much crud caked on there I can’t find any identifiers or the ZF logo on it. Might be an earlier ZF without the removable valve body.
https://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?5,109121
Here’s a thread discussing RX7 rack into a 240 but there’s also mentions of an xr4 rack which apparently has the same thread for tie rods, xr4 rack also has more travel which would give you more angle if you’re trying to drift it, looks like you can pick one up from $80 to $250 online. But it is a physically longer rack than the ones found in 240s

Actually, according to that thread) the XR4 rack has more travel per turn (64mm/turn) but less travel (176mm), compared to the 240 at 55mm/turn and 191 mm total travel. Quicker steering, but less steering angle.

Also in that thread - allegedly all the tie rod threads are the same and the overall length of the XR4 rack is +3". Maybe the overall length with XR4ti tie rods is the same or close enough?

I have both a ZF and a CAM rack sitting on the floor. I guess I will get a tape out and try to get some measurements.

One might think that somewhere on the WWW there would be a technical/physical description of the 240 racks as well as others.

Pictures of various racks look very much alike.

I can envision that center-to-center mounting holes and type of mount would be an issue.

And the steering shaft diameter.

I just got my $600 rack installed. Hope it works. I have had one rebuilt rack not make it to the alignment shop. Raised such a stink that Advance AP replaced the rack and paid me $75 labor.

It's not like they are going to keep stocking steering racks for a European Ford in the US that didn't sell all that well. :nod:

The last xratty rack that we had to get rebuilt cost more than most 240s.

Yes please, install a rack that?s has less steering angle, will give you terrible bump steer, and is infinitely harder to find.

I?ve scrapped at least 3 xratty racks, and I?ll keep on doing it too!

It would be great to have some kind of option. But I always just grab zf racks(85-88) from the junkyard. Just found one this weekend and it was bone dry.

Just to chime in for another data point...

I bought a rebuilt rack from Detroit Axle for around $220, if I remember right. It took them about 6 months to find a rack that they could rebuild without it leaking when they pressure tested it. But they eventually did, and I got it installed in my car.

It was a bit of a frustrating experience. Supposedly they have them "in stock," in the sense that they get them, rebuild them, but don't test them until they're ordered. Seemed like a weird system, but that's what I was told.

The ZF rack in my 244 is a rebuild from Detroit and leaked day one but never did anything about it, I think a majority of rack engineers/designers are high or intend on it being replaced every 8-10 years

The last xratty rack that we had to get rebuilt cost more than most 240s.

Yes please, install a rack that?s has less steering angle, will give you terrible bump steer, and is infinitely harder to find.

I?ve scrapped at least 3 xratty racks, and I?ll keep on doing it too!

yea but its cosworth bro.

This shows up on RockAuto:https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...5pIzl5tIVOuqrF5lJDCkiMUKJ5lpvuOgi3sseqCyT4LRl

It says its a refurb service that I guess changed the rack to a TRW rack? Would that work for these cars? (I have a CAM rack that's leaking heavily from a 1982 244 d24)

I'm not sure what you are asking. The TRW, CAM and ZF racks all interchange as long as you have the correct mounting hardware for the type of rack being installed. The picture in that ad is a ZF rack.

I'm not sure what you are asking. The TRW, CAM and ZF racks all interchange as long as you have the correct mounting hardware for the type of rack being installed. The picture in that ad is a ZF rack.

I've only ever heard of/seen the CAM and ZF racks.
It says TRW when going through the initial drop down list when selecting the vehicle.

Would this be a good alternative to the $800 CAM rack on ebay?

Back