• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 problems with lazy start

majkelos

Hello, this is my first post here;) but I am driving my 940 for a while already.
I've tried quite a few tips to solve my problem but with no luck. I am struggling with a very lazy start, it has really no power until 2500-3000 rpms, then the turbo kick in and it begins pushing me into my seat.
I compared it to other 940s mine is the laziest... even comparing it to stock ones... I'm sad :(

My setup:
- B230FB
- 531 head
- Vx3 cam
- 16T turbo
- 465ccm green injectors from S60
- custom fuel pressure regulator with 3.8bar
- walbro 255 fuel pump
- original spark plugs
- AW71 gearbox with accu mod
- rear axle gear ratio 3.73
- 3? exhaust no cat

It is really slow at the beginning - comparing it to stock B230FT or even stock B200FT. It is so slow it is impossible to do burnout which is very likely to happen on B230FT.
What could be wrong? Any tips appreciated.

Last edited:
Well there's not much happening below 2,500 on my B230FT either.
I'm also running a 16T at around 0,9bar.

Just an idea.
Are you running the stock Intercooler? That's quite a big limiting factor I've found after swapping to a 16T.
I was very disappointed because I've almost didn't notice anything.
It was only after upgrading to a KL Intercooler. See here: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=343520

Also, how does your AFR look?
465cc injectors could be too big if you're not running a lot of boost pressure.
I'm still using stock sized injectors and they're plenty, AFR is perfectly fine with my setup.

EDIT: Are you using custom chips? I've bought a nice set from here and I'm very happy with them, gave a very nice upgrade.

I am using custom chips - but I don’t trust’em. Maybe I should find the different ones. Do you have some trusted source for these chips here guys?
Regarding the intake - I’m running DO88s so the issue seems to be somwhere else.

I'm using these: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=355788
I got them back when he started making them, but Swedbrick now sells them here in Europe, so get in touch with him if you want.

Thanks for sharing this. I will get in touch with him. Also I was thinking about buying an Ostrich 2.0 and some eprom burner and getting in touch with some shop who knows how to tune this engine. Unfortunately I am not aware of any garage like this in Poland..

Well there's not much happening below 2,500 on my B230FT either.
I'm also running a 16T at around 0,9bar.

Just an idea.
Are you running the stock Intercooler? That's quite a big limiting factor I've found after swapping to a 16T.
I was very disappointed because I've almost didn't notice anything.
It was only after upgrading to a KL Intercooler. See here: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=343520

Also, how does your AFR look?
465cc injectors could be too big if you're not running a lot of boost pressure.
I'm still using stock sized injectors and they're plenty, AFR is perfectly fine with my setup.

EDIT: Are you using custom chips? I've bought a nice set from here and I'm very happy with them, gave a very nice upgrade.

As for the AFR - on stock injectors and 1bar boost it was not very good, at the full throttle it was running lean mixture. I need to install some additional gauge and sensor in my exhaust, that's for sure.

As for the AFR - on stock injectors and 1bar boost it was not very good, at the full throttle it was running lean mixture. I need to install some additional gauge and sensor in my exhaust, that's for sure.

Just to be safe, did you reset the ECU (by clamping off the battery for a while) and let it relearn after turning up the boost, so it can adjust the fuel mixture accordingly?
LH 2.4 is capable of doing that to quite a bit of extent, more than people might think in my opinion.

If that doesn't help, the chips might help too.

I've used a set of chips from an unknown source with an unknown fuel map before (came with the gold EZK and had to use them because I broke a pin off on my old TLAO ones) and the AFR was absolutely all over the place, terrible.

I'm using -768 cream/white V70 injectors at the moment (because the old stock -804's were leaking), but they have the same flow rate (about 340cc) and on full boost I'm well below 11 on the AFR gauge.

If it boosts when you power-brake it, how does the torque converter feel if you do a stall test? The stator clutch could be freewheeling.

Does black smoke roll under boost? If yes, try lower fuel pressure. I'm running Bosch Gen III white composite body injectors on LH2.2 with 2.5 Bar FPR. With 3 Bar FPR it runs too rich.

Back