• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

a whole lot of swapping going on (locost build, awd swap, trans swaps, etc)

loki98t5

Ok so I wasn't really sure where to post this, so I figured I will post it up in projects as this is a huge project that I have to do over the next year or so.

I will start with a bit of background on what is going on.

Last spring I traded a 22lr for a super clean na s60 with a blown motor. Did some trading and ended up with a complete running subframe from another s60, just need to do the swap.

A couple months later I made the trip to Portland around the same time and bought a cleanish v70 t5. Drove it back to Boise and used it for my daily for a couple months until someone in our local Volvo group wanted to trade me for 2 p80 v70s. One was a running 98 T5 with 130k on the odom that was in good shape and just needed a bit of love, and the other is a 00 xc70 with 180K on the odom that was pulled apart after a rollover. I still drive the T5 as my daily and am almost done doing a complete R interior swap.

Soon after I bought a 98R that has a bad tranny but runs good. Has 260k showing on the odom. Limped it home where it sat for a few months. Sold it to my buddy who I traded my p2 for the two p80s for what I paid for it.

A couple months ago I decided to build a Lotus 7 replica from scratch. The plan was to use the engine and rear end out of the xc mated to a world class t5 manual transmission. Still in the planning, hunting/gathering stages of this build.

Fast forward to yesterday when my buddy hit me up to buy the 98R back. So I did. went over to his house and limped the poor R back to my house.

Ok, now that you know the back story on my Volvo collection, what I am looking for is some advice on what to do. I know I would rather daily and keep an R on the road.
So do I take the extra angle gear that I have and mount it to the motor and trans out of the T5 and put that in the R?

Is that even possible?

Use the R engine for my Locost build after a rebuild? Scrap the xc as its mostly just a shell with an engine at this point?

Find a tranny in the JY for the R?

Will the 4spd out of the xc fit the R?

Been looking online for a while and haven't come across any info on mounting the angle gear to a fwd tranny. I have heard that it is possible and a pretty easy swap. If it is possible I think I know which way I will go unless the 00xc tranny will work. My biggest concern is the computer and wiring of it.

Sorry I don't have any pictures for you to enjoy. I will try to get some this weekend.

Back