• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil for an M410

spock345

Any recommendations on oil for an M410? I assume it has the same GL-4 restriction as the M40/41 for gear oil. Does redline MTL work or should I just go pick up some SAE 30?

Anything I should do with the gearbox before I pop it into the car?

Edit: I just noticed I put this in performance, if a mod sees it please move it to maintenance.

If any archaic spec ever calls for engine oil in a trans, use motorcycle oil (4T). Many automotive oils do not play nicely with transmissions. Use the MB spec (not compatible with wet clutches) for any brass/bronze etc synchros. Or you can use ATF like I do. or transaxle lube, MTL, etc as long as you know it is compatible with your type of synchros.
If you have synchros with friction material, use 4T MA (compatible with wet clutches).

Last edited:
If you mean the sae 50 transmission oil, sure. But the wet clutch guys are lying to themselves or have no power.

Last edited:
If any archaic spec ever calls for engine oil in a trans, use motorcycle oil (4T). Many automotive oils do not play nicely with transmissions. Use the MB spec (not compatible with wet clutches) for any brass/bronze etc synchros. Or you can use ATF like I do. or transaxle lube, MTL, etc as long as you know it is compatible with your type of synchros.
If you have synchros with friction material, use 4T MA (compatible with wet clutches).

I am assuming the M410, given its relation to the M40/41 has synchros that are susceptible to GL5 eating them. I don't think there is any friction material.

Although I do wonder how the 4T oil plays with the cone clutch in the overdrive.

I am assuming the M410, given its relation to the M40/41 has synchros that are susceptible to GL5 eating them. I don't think there is any friction material.

Although I do wonder how the 4T oil plays with the cone clutch in the overdrive.
It's the sulfur in the GL5 EP gear oil that eats up bronze synchronizers, I made that mistake with my Toyota Matrix but the manual called our GL4 or GL5, Toyota rebuilt the transmission under warranty. The oil was very pretty, like Goldschlager in the drain pan.

I can try it out.

When I worked on British cars we used sae90 or ATF, depending on how hard it would be used. (atf for abuse, 90 for quiet operation in show cars). And we shifted them into OD without the clutch, under power.

Back