• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bob George's '82 242 Turbo PROJECT

Awesome looking car and project. Being that clean I know it will turn heads in New England... living in Boston 4 years I've discovered that a car that looks like that is really rare. ;-)

It was hard to go back to a 110v MIG after feeling the smoothness/control of a TIG.

QFT. I first learned TIG, then "learned" MIG later. TIG is just so controllable and calm. I'm thinking about buying a welder- I really would like a TIG but price of entry is steep at <$1600. I might just get a nice oxy-acetylene setup. Gas welding is a similar process as TIG and I I could do aluminium if I got ballsy.

Anyways, car is looking good. This weekend will be good for car work. Not for skiing unfortunately.

Got to love this car, i have never seen a 240 in better shape.. Almost.
Looks great with the america front end. Realy expensive/exotic in swe :omg:
God luck! ;-)

It's 90 degrees in Vermont today and somehow I resisted the urge to go get drunk at the lake and put some time into the 242. No excuses not to work on the car until it's running and driving :) A couple pics for now, a big update soon. Sorry for the flash, but the glare right now is impossible.

Front clip together:

82-242-front-clip.jpg

Intercooler exposure. I really don't want to hack the front bumper up (the cover is NOS), so I might work on a duct system.

82-242-intercooler.jpg

New wheels and tires. And yes, it will be much lower:

82-242-propusC.jpg

It's 90 degrees in Vermont today and somehow I resisted the urge to go get drunk at the lake and put some time into the 242. No excuses not to work on the car until it's running and driving :) A couple pics for now, a big update soon. Sorry for the flash, but the glare right now is impossible.

Front clip together:

82-242-front-clip.jpg

Intercooler exposure. I really don't want to hack the front bumper up (the cover is NOS), so I might work on a duct system.

82-242-intercooler.jpg

New wheels and tires. And yes, it will be much lower:

82-242-propusC.jpg

hey......where r dem polaris's's's's's???:-P

i like them rims a lot. you leaving them that color or powder coating them white? and it was 90 here today as well...wtf? its spring not summer...this is bull****

cut...holes...center...bumper...

Looking at these pics, I might be able to get away with notching the bumper along the license place surface contour. It would pretty closely match the lower air dam. I'll try it with one of my spare bumper covers before I cut up the new one. I won't be bothering with a front plate on this car.

hey......where r dem polaris's's's's's???:-P

Chillin' on my <a href="http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/volvo244life/244-polaris-1.jpg" target="_blank" >244</a>

i like them rims a lot. you leaving them that color or powder coating them white?

silver/stock for now

good stuff, gonna have to copy the ic install on my own car

I actually plan to be in Ithaca later this summer with the car. I grew up there and detailed cars at IFCS in high school. I'll let you know and you can take a look in person.

Progress is being made, work is "gittin' done." Got the S60R brakes on using RSI adaptors. The calipers and rotors came off a wrecked 2007 S60R with 15K miles. I had the rotors resurfaced and am using new Volvo pads (for now). Need to re-plumb the front distribution block (per Dave Barton's site) and delete the rear proportioning valves. I PBed everything for a couple days and it all came loose without stripping. I love working on California cars.

Lots more to come (soon) :)

242-s60r-brakes.jpg

Back