• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Key Woes

sheepbleat

A friend-of-a-friend did some body work on my 240. It included changing the trunk lid. Along the way he lost the key I gave him and he also didn’t re-key the trunk lid for my existing keys. Now I’ve got 2 questions…

1. Where can I get a new key for my 240? I’m living dangerously by using just a valet key and the Volvo dealers in these parts say the key I need is discontinued. I called a locksmith and was told to go fish.

2. How easy is it to re-key the trunk lid for my key? I can’t lock the trunk now, and of course the actuator motor for the trunk lock went missing along the way, so I can’t rely on my power locks to lock it in the interim.

Last edited:
1. The dealer just out right lied to you. If you supply your VIN any Volvo dealer can have a key cut for you. Personally, I've used Tasca Volvo to cut me a new key for my glove box which is also the master key to my car. They may have to order the key blank for you.

2. Usually, there is a key code number on the cylinder of the lock. So you can remove the lock cylinder from your trunk and supply that to a Volvo dealer or a locksmith and they can cut a
key for you. Doesn't surprise me that you are encountering Volvo dealers or locksmiths that won't help you. There are a lot of lazy people that won't go a little further to help a customer
nowadays.

1. The dealer just out right lied to you. If you supply your VIN any Volvo dealer can have a key cut for you. Personally, I've used Tasca Volvo to cut me a new key for my glove box which is also the master key to my car. They may have to order the key blank for you.

2. Usually, there is a key code number on the cylinder of the lock. So you can remove the lock cylinder from your trunk and supply that to a Volvo dealer or a locksmith and they can cut a
key for you. Doesn't surprise me that you are encountering Volvo dealers or locksmiths that won't help you. There are a lot of lazy people that won't go a little further to help a customer
nowadays.

Got it. Thank you. Sounds like I might need to try some dealers outside the city.

For the trunk lock? I don?t have the original cylinder. I think the guy who did the body work absent-mindedly tossed the original trunk lid and cylinder.

Could I get a cylinder made by Volvo?

The cylinder itself should have a code on it that a locksmith that isn't lazy can use to make a key. If this is for an 86 and newer trunk then it will also be the master key to a car.

If worse comes to worse and you cannot find a non-valet key, you might consider buying a new ignition lock cylinder with new key and then have a locksmith rekey the door and trunk locks accordingly.

Or buy a set of door and trunk locks with their new key and have your ignition cylinder rekeyed to match.

Are they different? I got the same part numbers when changed the year to both 90 and 92.

The very early 240 used a separate door key along with a ignition and trunk key. .
Then as time went on like my old 79 they used door/ignition key along with the separate trunk and glove box key.
The next iteration starting in 86 was the master key and valet key. Valet key won't open
the trunk or glove box but opens doors and starts the car. The most recent key blank I bought
was an ILCO master key. Always buy two blanks because if you are getting them cut by hand
the first one may not be good.

Also, most Volvo dealers now supply the 740 style master keys for all 1978-on 240s. Last time I ordered a key for a 240 of mine, they received the 740 key.

Sorry to hijack the thread but . . .

I have a steel key blank needed for an '81 but cannot find a local key cutter that has the equipment to cut it.

Had to pay about $20 for the blank so I don't want to take a file to it.

Suggestions?

Home Depot and Ace key cutting machines can copy Volvo keys if you have the original. Did you try contacting "The Lock Guys"?

can anyone post a pic of a master and a valet to see what pins are dif?

Difference is that the valet key has a center spine that's not shaved down to fit the glovebox lock and the trunk lock (or storage compartment lock if a wagon). It'll also have the old style rectangular plastic head, whereas the master key will either have the curved rectangular head found on keys for late 240s or the big square head used on the 700/900 series keys. Aftermarket keys will usually have the small rectangular head, like a valet key.

Can’t make a copy of the key. Don’t have it. Only have the valet.

Struck out with all the Volvo dealers in these parts. Keys are “cut at the factory” and “discontinued” according to all. Lol. Apparently they can still get us blanks though.

Found 1 dealer who was willing to try and order a replacement cylinder for the trunk lid. Said he’d call me back but I’m still sitting by the phone.

In the meantime, found an independent locksmith who was willing to make me new keys that’d work for the ignition and glove box, and a separate key that’ll work for the trunk.

Lesson learned. Live some, learn some, trust no one, etc.

To make a master key from a valet key, all you need is a master key blank. Aftermarket key manufacturers call it the "VL8" key. Have said locksmith make a duplicate of the valet key on the VL8 blank. Voila, master key. Alternatively, grind down the center spine that's found on the sides of the key, and the valet key becomes a master key. Take the trunk lock with a master key to said locksmith and have him rekey it to match.

I'm at a GM dealer with a BD Lazer 994 key machine, pretty common unit. It doesn't have 240s listed as vehicles that it can cut, but it does list the 1988- 760, which for duplication purposes I would presume to be the same. Point is that you might be able to go that route. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealers use this machine also. They tend to not like aftermarket blanks though, sometimes they're too hard (material harness) and they don't cut correctly.

Back