• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Exhaust manifold gasket

240-FAN

Can the gurus here please confirm that the orientation of the exhaust manifold gasket is correct as shown in the picture?
The front face would meet the exhaust manifold and the face not shown in the picture would mate to the engine?
Similarly, the top is the top of the engine and the bottom would, well point to the bottom.

This might be a noob question but any clarification would be helpful so that I?m not messing too much with the old exhaust studs.

Thanks a bunch!

7XqDt9F.jpg

There is supposed to be a UT marked on the gasket. Meaning 'out'. They match up to the head port shape only one way. The outer part of the port shape not the hole in the head.

Lol PCH. The Victor Reinz one (on the right) has a black gasket on the back which I assumed would end up against the head.
The “AJI USA” one doesn’t have a smooth face and both sides feel very similar to each other.

Dave, no such marking on either the Reinz or the AJI USA parts. RA only had 1 Reinz and I ended up with 3 of the AJI ones.

Lol PCH. The Victor Reinz one (on the right) has a black gasket on the back which I assumed would end up against the head.
The ?AJI USA? one doesn?t have a smooth face and both sides feel very similar to each other.

Dave, no such marking on either the Reinz or the AJI USA parts. RA only had 1 Reinz and I ended up with 3 of the AJI ones.

I don't recall the brand I used, but when I did mine, like dl242gt said, they match up one way. You might be able to see a mark where the old gasket sat, I think once you put one one it should become obvious.

:-P

Mind blown, after taking the exhaust manifold off a dozen times I have never noticed that.

There's that, and the fact that the gaskets (and studs) are not symmetrical. As dl242gt said, put them on any of the 3 wrong ways, the big hole won't be centered over the port.

So with all the help from here, I was able to get it on there no problem. Start the car, no leaks from the gaskets, yay!

But....after a couple of minutes, there was smoke billowing out from the manifold. It?s either the manifold that?s cracked or it?s the gasket between the manifold and the downpipe. Is there a way to post a video on here? Any way to figure out where the leak is coming from?

I need to get this car out and sold by end of the month. Anyone interested in a mid-west 240??? Don?t want to sell it to some retard on CL who?ll beat the car to death. Yes, it?s got some rust but it?s far far better than most rust belt cars.

Edit: here?s links to the videos
Engine on
https://i.imgur.com/vncQBmO.mp4

After engine was shut off
https://i.imgur.com/XZAjq4L.mp4

Last edited:
But....after a couple of minutes, there was smoke billowing out from the manifold. It?s either the manifold that?s cracked or it?s the gasket between the manifold and the downpipe.
If it was at the shop, I'd grab my trusty stethoscope and wave it around various joints and listen for the leaks (if any). Or just stick a long piece of vacuum hose in your ear and do the same. You sure it isn't just the grease from your grubby hands burning off once the manifold gets sufficiently hot?

If it was at the shop, I'd grab my trusty stethoscope and wave it around various joints and listen for the leaks (if any). Or just stick a long piece of vacuum hose in your ear and do the same. You sure it isn't just the grease from your grubby hands burning off once the manifold gets sufficiently hot?

I?m not sure if it?s just grease burning off. I could Jack the car up higher and crawl underneath to take a look. Good idea on the stethoscope - I?ll give it a shot and post back if I find anything.

Exhaust leaks don't look like smoke unless your engine is busted up enough to be producing lots of smoke. My vote's for gunk burning off the exhaust.

I really hope you gents are right about it just being gunk burning off... gonna try it out later today

I would suggest you get an extra set of those gaskets with the metal composite type of material. The other gaskets with the spots can burn up and fail and are not up to the quality standards for these engines in my experience. Hopefully it's as others advise and it's just the burn off of grease and oil on the engine.

Took her out for about 20 miles after being parked inside for the last 5 months. Old gal ran great. Turns out it was just gunk burning off. After the first 3-4 miles, no smoke, nothing. She’s all fixed up.

Thanks everyone!

Back