• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B23Ft and T-5z Install started! Pics

Turborg

Finally have a few days off to work on my car. I got the motor and trans installed today. My drive shaft measured out at 47 7/8 inch. It will ready by Monday and I should have the car running then. The tranny really shifts easy just sitting-anxious to try on the road. The Mercedes shifter nob will have to do until I find one like the stock volvo with the correct pattern. http://www.pbase.com/image/28262415

Looking good man! Wish i was at that point. ;)

Conndog any more pics of that wagon? That thing is ACE!

Man thats really clean. Looks like fun!

Your using the t5Z, does that only come in a 2.95 first? Let me know how it works for ya. Good luck

B23ft and T-5z installed

The motor has been sleeved and bored back to standard bore. The T-5z does have the 295 first gear, so I am anxious to see how this motor does with it. Noah: I know you have the 335 and it performs great. I will post on the results probably in a week. Thanks for the nice comments. The actual mechanicing on the car is probably only about a tenth of the time spent, seemed like everything needed cleaned, and I thought the car was clean before I pulled the motor!

My T5z installation in my 245 has been running for a week now and I've logged about 400 miles so far (300 of it yesterday). Regarding the 2.95 first, I really like it. It's not too tall to lug it off the line and it's tall enough to apply decent boost before running out of gear. Plus, the taller 1st puts you in a much better RPM when shifting into 2nd. Overall, I love the conversion. I should have done it long ago.

Side note: I took a Volvo club drive Saturday with the San Diego VSA chapter... with the to-and-from it was about 300 miles. My previous best fuel mileage for a trip like this (combo highway and spirited mountain road driving) with the auto trans was maybe 18 MPG. On this trip I logged 24.7 MPG. I'm amazed at that!
Dave B.

Turborg: You said that your DS measured out to 47 inches, was this center to center of the joints? Just curious why our measurements would be different. On a 240 right?

The T5 fifth is awesome for gas mileage, just as long as you keep it over 2500 or so (in my car, or else it can get a bit doggy). I love it though.
I'm really curious as to what the 2.95 feels like. I'm getting a new (or rebuilt) t5 to put in (the current one wine's like a mother).
I sure would have a better selection with the 2.95, also it seems the higher Hp rated ones are 2.95... Bla bla... Just thinking out loud... sorry to take this post off topic : )

Drive shaft measurement

Noah: My drive shaft is going to be 47 7/8" measured from the center of the front u-joint to the face of the flange on the rearend. This was how he wanted it measured. On a side issue, when I first asked him about a shaft he said around $200. I said that the Volvo turbo used the same joint as a lot of Fords and why couldn't I just bring him a used shaft and have him alter it. He said he had plenty of used shafts and ended up making me one that cost $120 with all new u-joints and balanced. The tailshaft I paid $50 dollars new for. Ford wanted over $100. I am really anxious to try the 2.95 low gear, and it was very good to hear that dbarton likes his T5z.

Looks nice and clean, just like how it should be.
thumbsup.gif

Back