• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Front sump redblock

jmc0369

Banned
What would be entailed in making a B230 a front sump engine? Can the pan be flipped? Can the pick-up be moved? Are there any inherent showstoppers to making that the case?

You'd probably need to cut and weld the oil pan depending on where you need the clearance. Not sure what you'd do about the oil pickup though.

Last edited:
Best bet would probably be to use a b234f block with the belt driven pump.

Yeah - since the B230 oil pump itself pokes down into the sump, not just a pickup tube - it would be a very complicated change to move the pump (and it's int shaft driven gear) forward.

B234 would 'just' involve moving the pickup tube.

Great input John and Cosby.

This is a good lead for further investigation. I am inquiring about a California BAR workaround for repowering a Toyota, and how to get there in phases IF I don't move out of the state and circumstantially solve the BAR problem. I'd much rather have a red block than a 22re, and then a whiteblock 5 over the redblock. But that can never happen in Cali unless the car is pre-76.

The recent bill to move smog exemption to pre-82 died.

Great input John and Cosby.

This is a good lead for further investigation. I am inquiring about a California BAR workaround for repowering a Toyota, and how to get there in phases IF I don't move out of the state and circumstantially solve the BAR problem. I'd much rather have a red block than a 22re, and then a whiteblock 5 over the redblock. But that can never happen in Cali unless the car is pre-76.

The recent bill to move smog exemption to pre-82 died.

I think the easier way to move the smog exemption is specifically to drop the visual inspection for old enough cars. If you can get the thing to pass the tailpipe test then that should be good enough, modified or not. In some cases modifications like modern EFI or a motor swap would probably have the engine running cleaner. That or they could demystify the BAR referee process and make it easier to ask questions, maybe set up a forum where we could ask the refs questions and discuss solutions. There are many ways to skin this cat without moving the exemption date forward.

At the same time I also think OBD II cars should have to pass the tailpipe test as the VW scandal (and all the automakers found to be cheating later) has shown it is all too easy to trick a computer into giving a thumbs up and companies have a profit motive to cheat.

^ Very well put, should just be a tailpipe test. The current situation makes some swaps nearly impossible to pass, while obviously making less emissions.

(Based on my understanding, would be nice if there was more clear guidelines) A whiteblock in a 240 would require you to find an original manual 850t, then swap over everything including the rear mounted distributor, and cut a whole in the firewall. You could try with ME7 but then you have a dozen more headaches.

I garentee my 242 would pass a tailpipe test, but obviously fail visual.

^ Very well put, should just be a tailpipe test. The current situation makes some swaps nearly impossible to pass, while obviously making less emissions.

(Based on my understanding, would be nice if there was more clear guidelines) A whiteblock in a 240 would require you to find an original manual 850t, then swap over everything including the rear mounted distributor, and cut a whole in the firewall. You could try with ME7 but then you have a dozen more headaches.

I garentee my 242 would pass a tailpipe test, but obviously fail visual.

Unfortunately fwd to rwd swaps are not really passable, let's say you get the drive train out of a s60r though. That would make it okay.

What's wrong with a 22RE? It's a stoopidly reliable and durable motor.

I am kind of wondering the same thing. Parts are just as easy to find, if not more so, than a redblock. The only complaints I've read about are that the timing chain occasionally needs work.

also depending on what year the truck is you can just mod the rear sump pan, did a b21ft swap into a hilux years ago and just modded a rear sump pan

A good running 22r or 22re is significantly faster than a stock b230f. I'm pretty sure my 380k mile 4wd truck is faster to 60mph than my 250k mile 244.

But this is turbobricks, and I'm a fan of engine swaps!

TDi swap it, they even make adapters to bolt it to the Toyota trans (ACME adapters).

Bingo - same HP, more torx, better MPG, no smog worries even in CA (I think???), cool diesel clatter, and put the word 'diesel' next to 'Toyota' and the price triples, like magic. Win/win/win/win/win, you're gonna get tired from #WINNING so much.

22xx are great truck motors. More tractor-like than even our redblocks.

This is for a RWD Celica. Which actually begs for a whiteblock 5 doesn't it? Keeping the light-weight vibe and sounding glorious doing it.

Even the Celica crowd take the r block out and replace it with other fours. Permissible Kali swaps are very few that you that could get through the BAR. UZ,JZ, 1G... Ford 2.3 has a front sump option...

It is nice to know Volvo 240 parts (I have bunches) are upgrade parts in the Celica circles.

If its a Celica, why not use one of the other rwd toyota engines? Or maybe some other japanese car engine? Though then again, prices are kinda crazy right now.

A ka24de could probably be gotten for a reasonable price. They're still truck engines, but much less so than a 22r or a b230. They're already front sump if its from a 240sx, hardbody's were mid-rear sump. They also have decently strong transmissions.

Though they're still more expensive than a redblock, but probably not if you want to use a stronger transmission than an m46/m47

TDi swap it, they even make adapters to bolt it to the Toyota trans (ACME adapters).

Bingo - same HP, more torx, better MPG, no smog worries even in CA (I think???), cool diesel clatter, and put the word 'diesel' next to 'Toyota' and the price triples, like magic. Win/win/win/win/win, you're gonna get tired from #WINNING so much.

I've seen Josh's (Yoshifab) wagon with the hood up. Those are tiny peanuts of an engine. That is a cool idea. I remember him saying he thought about driving it down to the ref with a plywood adapter he used just to rough everything in, but decided to go all the way. Went to the ref, popped the hood, and no further looking over the car; the ref did a 2-second look into the bay and signed it off.

A good running 22r or 22re is significantly faster than a stock b230f. I'm pretty sure my 380k mile 4wd truck is faster to 60mph than my 250k mile 244.

But this is turbobricks, and I'm a fan of engine swaps!

I've only been in two 22r powered vehicles and respected the powerplant, but not what I'd want to drive for a car by any means. They both autos?

I did call LCEngineering and 22rePerformance. LCEngineering was unimpressive. Jim at 22REPerformance was very familiar with long rod builds and getting the R/S ratio north toward 1.9 (vs 1.6). That would do well toward untractorizing the 22r.

EDIT: You seen any on the rally circuit?

Last edited:
Back