• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Volvo factory stereo wiring (4 vs 8 ohm impedance)

cuda

I want to upgrade the speakers on my 97' 940. I would like to keep the original Volvo head unit (i like the period correct look) and add an amplifier but i'm a bit confused on how the factory wiring is set up.
The original HU is 4 ohm (CR-916) but all the speakers in the doors seem to be 8 ohm. As i understand it is possible to run a 4 ohm amp with 8 ohm speakers without anything blowing up but in this configuration the speakers would be running on 1/2 of the nominal power? Why was Volvo running 8 ohm speakers on a 4 amp HU? Am i missing something here?

I want to upgrade the speakers on my 97' 940. I would like to keep the original Volvo head unit (i like the period correct look) and add an amplifier but i'm a bit confused on how the factory wiring is set up.
The original HU is 4 ohm (CR-916) but all the speakers in the doors seem to be 8 ohm. As i understand it is possible to run a 4 ohm amp with 8 ohm speakers without anything blowing up but in this configuration the speakers would be running on 1/2 of the nominal power? Why was Volvo running 8 ohm speakers on a 4 amp HU? Am i missing something here?

I have seen 1992 960 sedan with 8 ohm speakers in the rear doors and rear package tray. These were wired to create a 4 ohm load. The front door speakers may have also been 8 ohm wired with 8 ohm dash speakers depending on the head unit installed.

I have seen 1992 960 sedan with 8 ohm speakers in the rear doors and rear package tray. These were wired to create a 4 ohm load. The front door speakers may have also been 8 ohm wired with 8 ohm dash speakers depending on the head unit installed.

this makes sense, yes, if you connect 8 speakers in parallel to 4 channels. but i have a wagon with only 4 speakers in the doors and a 4 channel HU.
were volvo just lazy to create a different setup for lesser spec models with 4 speakers and just ran 8 ohm speakers directly from 4 ohm head unit at 1/2 power?
i mean 15 or 20 watts RMS per channel wasn't something to brag about even in 97 and i assumed they would use matching speakers to take the maximum out of the factory sound system

this makes sense, yes, if you connect 8 speakers in parallel to 4 channels. but i have a wagon with only 4 speakers in the doors and a 4 channel HU.
were volvo just lazy to create a different setup for lesser spec models with 4 speakers and just ran 8 ohm speakers directly from 4 ohm head unit at 1/2 power?
i mean 15 or 20 watts RMS per channel wasn't something to brag about even in 97 and i assumed they would use matching speakers to take the maximum out of the factory sound system

They probably did. I have never seen any 4 ohm Volvo factory speakers.

Usually aftermarket head units and amps are not safe to push 8 ohm speakers. You might be safest running the speakers in parallel (RR, LR & LF, RF).

Back