• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brown 244 GL

petiww

Hello!

So I finally bought my first Volvo, a brown 244 for 200$. I was always wondering about owning a classy lowered 240, and right now my dream project begins.

To be able to see the locked photobucket images in chrome browser, install this photobucket hotlink fix: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

At first it was for sale for about 800$, then they decreased it to 600$. We checked it with my brother, and seen some rust underneath, and in some other places, but overall it is good looking, and the tan interior is almost perfect, plus it has commandos, airdam, 5 panel taillights, and LPG, the pieces i wanted to have on a 240. They used it daily and serviced regularly, but it has some problems too, because of 430'000kms in its clock.

The passenger side is damaged, steering column is broken, steering rack has a big play, usual worn out bushings in some joints, old and tired BW55 automatic, rust, but hey, the engine has good compression, its head was rebuilt in 2012, runs and stops good.
I offered 200$ for the car because of the problems, i really did not wanted to pay more than this price, and fortunately they accepted it. :)

There was no problem when i came home with it from 250kms (Szolnok-Győr). Right after that i arrived at home, i picked up some of my buddies, and had a good time cruising with it and doing a photoshoot. :cool:
The car also turned heads, because it's not a usual '90+ car, and has the big ass commandos. (and maybe because the passenger side is smashed, i don't know :-P )
But if you were wondering I have never seen a 240 in my city...

7886561_1 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
7886561_4 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
7886561_3 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
7886561_5 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Halfway home:
2014-05-29-109 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
2014-05-29-110 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

It was a fun 6 hour trip to home. Unfortunately the autotragic did not let me go faster than 100-110kph, so I felt a bit nervous about the overtaking cars...

"Short" term plans - DONE by 2017.05.25
-repair the damaged passenger side - DONE
-repair rusted out parts of the floor - DONE
-put a manual gearbox in it - DONE
-make it safe - steering, shocks, bushings etc. - DONE
-paint the repaired quarters and right doors - DONE
-get it inspected - DONE
-few coils.. - DONE

Future plans... Because we are always dreaming:
-Turbo on a block with stronger rods - 300hp?!
-Gearbox which holds that power
-LSD or torsen
-proper suspension
-bigger brakes
-chassis bracing
-air conditioning

----------------------

Specs:
Most of the stuff came from the dutch 1989 244 donor car...
-Powerful '89 B230F/LH2.4 with noisy valvetrain & A cam + piston slap
-Stock exhaust with good working catalytic converter
-Low mileage M47II gearbox
-3,54 open diff rearend
-GT rims with 185/70R14 Continental tires, 25mm spacers and 25mm longer studs at the back
-Stock sedan springs, -2coil front, -1 at the back, stock shocks, no rear stabilizer bar
-Stock brakes, completely rebuilt brake calipers
-Electronic speedo adapted into an early VDO cluster

Most recent pictures:
20201023_110541 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
IMG_3909 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
20200603_171201 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
2017-05-21-3011 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr
2017-05-21-3013 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Last edited:
Awesome purchase on your part for $200. You put yourself way out there in terms of goodies since you already a lot of them on there. Personally, I think it's low enough in the front,maybe cut 2 coils out the back and put a 16 inch wheel on it. any lower and you could have more suspension issues in the future. the key is to make sure you get low as possible without sacrificing comfort and ride quality or you're going to hate the car in a very short time. but yes, good luck with your project and keep posting pics.

Awesome purchase on your part for $200. You put yourself way out there in terms of goodies since you already a lot of them on there. Personally, I think it's low enough in the front,maybe cut 2 coils out the back and put a 16 inch wheel on it. any lower and you could have more suspension issues in the future. the key is to make sure you get low as possible without sacrificing comfort and ride quality or you're going to hate the car in a very short time. but yes, good luck with your project and keep posting pics.

Thank you! :)
Oh I forget, I purchased a set of Virgos a couple months ago for 80$ :rofl: They are going on the car. I won't go over 16", i dont want a bouncy ride, i just want it a little lower and still comfy.
Onto the lowering, i did not made up my mind about it, maybe i cut the springs, but right now the shocks are too soft for that in my opinion. :roll:

szep auto baratocskam.. annyira olcso :D nekem is van ketto, en es a lone volvo rider vagyok

K?szi! H?t, volt hat?ssz?net mikor beny?gtem az 50ezer forintot. :rofl:
De lesz vele munka...

Nincs műszaki a sason, nem tudtam elmenni. :please:

Here are the pictures of the interior, I really like it. :-D

Rare blue scales on the instrument cluster... :rofl:

Yes, but I bought it 3 weeks ago, and I still have final exams, and also we have to repair my brother's '85 Audi Coupe, so I did not have any time for it. The interior will be removed completely when the Audi moves to the paintshop, and I will fix all the rust underneath and the damage on its right side. Also the windshield frame needs rust repair, and windshield change, because I cracked it accidentally... Thought it was a good idea to push the chrome trim back to the plastic clips... :please:

Got the fender hammered into shape, i still have to weld it a bit and straighten it, but it'll be nice. :wiggle:

Before

After

Doors and other goodies are coming in the next 1-2 weeks. :dance:

Also hacked the broken glovebox mounting surface, it'll be painted black...

Last edited:
dude, what happened to your car? amateur drift attempt failed?! kuldell uzenetet Zora -nak. el akarja adni B21ET motrot.. ha erdekelne..

dude, what happened to your car? amateur drift attempt failed?! kuldell uzenetet Zora -nak. el akarja adni B21ET motrot.. ha erdekelne..

Naah, a car ran into its side at the near end of the previous ownership. Thats why it was so cheap. I bought it like that. :nod:

B21ET, hmm sounds good, but i don't have that much money to also buy an engine. Right now i hope i can put it back to road before summer ends... Then I will use it with this stock eng+trans combo for a while, because its in usable mechanical shape.

Btw i removed the windshield trim... So much dirt found, and holes at the corners, but nothing too serious.

:barf:

Last edited:
Gutted the interior to fix these nasty babies. :clap:
Drivers side floor is the worst, but all can be saved nicely. :nod:

Yep, thats the lower seatbelt mounting point...

Passenger side is better.

Last edited:
Yesterday I picked up some goodies for this thing, the interior is almost complete now. I already bought the sills and the rear wheelarch repair sheetmetals, so from now on, i can start real work on it. The good is, the front passenger door is in good shape, but its for even older models than mine, so i have to fabricate it to accept the newer lock mechanism. The rear door has a small scratch, therefore its wobbly a bit, but thats will be fixed when i get there.

Last edited:
I want to keep these rare old tan door cards, because they really fit the car and i like the patina on them. Of course they have some little cracks but nothing serious. The drivers door card had a nasty soaked panel, which i will change to a better one. Its already in progress, i just have to clean them well and glue the leatherette onto the "new" panel.

Old

And the new panel

Last edited:
Back