• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Car won’t start after messing with leaking fuel pump!

Smckernan

Hello, all! I recently acquired my 1992 Volvo 240 GL and have recently been trying to remedy some problems with it. The only thing I’ve changed so far on the car has been the alternator. Recently though, I noticed a strong smell of gas coming from under the car every time I started it. Turns out the fuel pump has been leaking. Today, I decided to get down there and check it out. Being a little too curious, I decided to unplug the black wire from the fuel pump while the car was off. The plastic around the head of the wire was brittle and broke into pieces so I decided to plug what was left in and reinstall the fuel pump housing. Much to my dismay the car doesn’t start now. I can hear the fuel pump activate when I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the position just before you crank it. When I crank the car, the engine doesn’t turn on. I can’t think of what could have caused this and would appreciate any help! Thanks!

If it were me I would double and triple check the connection that you unplugged. Seems like a likely culprit based on your story.

Those fuel pump supply wires decay and fall apart as you experienced. The black is the ground for the pump so it's not going to run. Those connectors are available on Dave Bartons web site. You can buy a pigtail of wire with the connector so all you have to do is splice it in. You probably need both wires replaced. You can order with the correct wire colors so there is no mixing things up.

If you can have someone help you. You can put your hand on the pump and check it for running when cranking. If the pump is running when cranking then your problem lies elsewhere.

Back