• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is anybody doing turbo diesels?

hk 40

Banned
We owned one a new one in 81 a 244 and was wondering has anyone tuned a turbo version or tried something like biodiesel with it? What does its internals and head look like as compared to gas redblocks?

Regards
Hubert

they are pretty strong it seems but they seem to have cylinder head cracking issues. yoshifab had one in his land rover with a set of mitsubishi compound turbos but he switched it out for a mercedes om606. i know hes looking into going with a more modern engine. i 606 swapped my wagon and i love it but it is still a bit sluggish in stock form. those d24s can run on biofuel just like most older idi diesel engines you just need to take the same steps as you do with anything converting it to bio fuel. my buddy has a full biodiesel tank setup he pulled from a d24 wagon years ago.

dieselpako on youtube is into the d24s, he speaks mostly in swedish in his videos, hes a cool guy, he actually converted a b230f to run on diesel and posted it here years back and was basically run off the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhuimx5nut8

they are pretty strong it seems but they seem to have cylinder head cracking issues. yoshifab had one in his land rover with a set of mitsubishi compound turbos but he switched it out for a mercedes om606. i know hes looking into going with a more modern engine. i 606 swapped my wagon and i love it but it is still a bit sluggish in stock form. those d24s can run on biofuel just like most older idi diesel engines you just need to take the same steps as you do with anything converting it to bio fuel. my buddy has a full biodiesel tank setup he pulled from a d24 wagon years ago.

dieselpako on youtube is into the d24s, he speaks mostly in swedish in his videos, hes a cool guy, he actually converted a b230f to run on diesel and posted it here years back and was basically run off the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhuimx5nut8

I check them out. Thats really interesting about the heads. You'd think they'd be the most durable of all volvos....:wtf:

And what did the AMERICAN turbobricks way do to run a swede tuner off a volvo forum. Was it because they couldn't accept his facts that differ from the said experts on this board that have continually said things made by volvo engineers sucks?

Thats no surprise to me that he'd be run off instead of being included and protected from trolls being the foreign guest here. I find it an awful way to treat a Swedish visitor while being the said experts of post facto design of Swedish sht...:roll:

Bill Cosby is free BTW the case overturned like Im sure Harveys will be. Will you change your handle now to reflect the courts decision that the criminal trail was unjust from the jump?

Regards
Hubert

Last edited:
And what did the AMERICAN turbobricks way do to run a swede tuner off a volvo forum. Was it because they couldn't accept his facts that differ from the said experts on this board that have continually said things made by volvo engineers sucks?

Thats no surprise to me that he'd be run off instead of being included and protected from trolls being the foreign guest here. I find it an awful way to treat a Swedish visitor while being the said experts of post facto design of Swedish sht...:roll:

Bill Cosby is free BTW the case overturned like Im sure Harveys will be. Will you change your handle now to reflect the courts decision that the criminal trail was unjust from the jump?

Regards
Hubert

Seems relevant.

Cordially,
Alan

Seems relevant.

Cordially,
Alan

I truly isnt to the topic i started Alan but you see these type of avatars do say something to the people that view them and I have so Im just wondering what happens now that the joke no longer carries any validity. It is just a curious question I have as an American from the same demographic as Bill. Sometimes the jokes are only funny to a select group not concerned with anything else or how its seen by others. It makes a huge difference in how people get along here and what is allowed or seen as appropriate. Its a free country but I found it a bit offensive so Im just curious does he change it now. He doesn't have to but If it wasn't his handle it would have no relevance at this turn of events but since its there I may as well ask about it since Im pretty sure it was a slight to Bill.

It can move to off topic but for me this type of conduct is truly interesting to learn its origins and why that was chosen for an user name. Bill certainly isnt the most popular man at this moment in time and of course angry bigots will use this to insight more bigotry. Im just curious who touches it that doesn't have something deeper they really want to say? I think ultimately its all relevant in the American experience. Forums are one such experience not free of this if you look in OT and certainly these topics seem to be the focus of just about the entire world.

I remember when I first joined turbobricks. But what I did was read all the threads, every single one. I didn't start asking dumb questions and then act like I was gods gift to gab writing even though I can type 120 words a minute. Anyway volvo never made a 240 turbo diesel from the factory. So your first post in this thread about you bought a new one in 81 just verifies you are full of it................

I could type a lot more, but post a video or time slip of how quick fast your turbo volvo is to make me believe. I wanna believe.. Until then here is my 15g junkyard volvo doing 12.8... Back in 2010 before I exploded the flywheel trying to go faster and faster and quicker, not tying to convince everybody on the internut of anything.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FOjKoA1XnAY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bawZahBJvnk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haters gonna hate. Why can't I hate back? I hate non buttlevers.

Well here's the problem with your truth assessment. Its simply wrong because I never said I brought a new turbo diesel in 81....When u look for negativity you can find it. There was absolutely no intention to make someone believe we had a TURBO DIESEL in 81. What the post reads has anyone ever done a" turbo " diesel. If I had one why would I ask this? So If you look for negative trash and confrontation you can create it even when it doesn't truly exist. :oops: There's absolutely no question that if I post I own it or have done it whether are not its true and certainly no one from over 2000 miles away knows what goes on with me in NC. Who owns or have done what you would not have a real clue sir..... U may have not ask dumb question when you arrived here 3 years after me but this last post was certainly not a very bright one as its really incorrect in your assessment of me and what I'd need to prove here. You are not even versed that I've been here 3 years longer than you. Welcome....

Regards
Hubert

Last edited:
...has anyone tuned a turbo version or tried something like biodiesel with it? What does its internals and head look like as compared to gas redblocks?
Economical. I have a few, ran one on filtered/dewatered teriyaki oil from 2005 - 2011.

Are you asking about visible internal differences D24T<==>Redblock? I wouldn't be able to tell you, having never studied the internals of a redblock.

Contrary to popular TB opinion, they are quite reliable, if run on synthetic, proper timing belt maintenance followed, and avoiding overheating (mainly from deteriorated overly complex external coolant hose routing).

The only other application for the D24s was in VW LT cabovers.

Also Pinzgauers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_High-Mobility_All-Terrain_Vehicle

Economical. I have a few, ran one on filtered/dewatered teriyaki oil from 2005 - 2011.

Are you asking about visible internal differences D24T<==>Redblock? I wouldn't be able to tell you, having never studied the internals of a redblock.

Contrary to popular TB opinion, they are quite reliable, if run on synthetic, proper timing belt maintenance followed, and avoiding overheating (mainly from deteriorated overly complex external coolant hose routing).

Also Pinzgauers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_High-Mobility_All-Terrain_Vehicle

Hi TinTin,

Not so much visible differences but ones that look at differences in mechanical strength and integrity. Surely visual may provide answers but what I was thinking is some of that would be inherent in its design with such high cr's.

It should have been noted that I was born in 1971 so some people here should be bright enuf after reading all the articles here in 06 that a 10 year old child in 1981 owns nothing and still cannot turn his Daddys brand new diesel over on a stand and tear it apart to look at its internals. How this questions turns into all that personal spam is beyond me. Thanks for staying on topic I will look at the links.

If building one isn't an interesting topic without unsolicited personal drama just lock it. Im very happy in my life.

Regards
Hubert

Last edited:
Not so much visible differences but ones that look at differences in mechanical strength and integrity. Surely visual may provide answers but what I was thinking is some of that would be inherent in its design with such high cr's.
Probably the obvious items common in an IDI diesel designed by VAG in the '70s with its corresponding high CR (neighborhood of 23:1) as you note. Combustion chamber is actually similar to Ricardo swirl chamber with a small turbulence/heat-inducing porthole into the cylinder.

Bottom end appears to be stout, as inspection shows they are almost always in great condition even with high miles. The D24(T) version got piston squirters.

It's what's known as a "hi-rev" :roll: diesel.

The Al head, being a long L6, can warp if overheated. OHC.

Main problem was VW's idiosyncratic TB/cam pulley/crank pulley/injection pump timing engineering solution what was non-common and required special tools and procedures that if not followed resulted in sure catastrophic engine destruction for this extreme interference fit example. Bent valves, damaged pistons, broken camshaft, tappets, etc.
For example, TB R/R requires over 350 lb-ft torque on the crankshaft pulley bolt. Who's shop is set up to achieve that reliably?

On the highway (aware I am going to get flamed for this bigtime:) it is much more refined feeling and less busy than a 4-cyl redblock.

Probably the obvious items common in an IDI diesel designed by VAG in the '70s with its corresponding high CR (neighborhood of 23:1) as you note. Combustion chamber is actually similar to Ricardo swirl chamber with a small turbulence/heat-inducing porthole into the cylinder.

Bottom end appears to be stout, as inspection shows they are almost always in great condition even with high miles. The D24(T) version got piston squirters.

It's what's known as a "hi-rev" :roll: diesel.

The Al head, being a long L6, can warp if overheated. OHC.

Main problem was VW's idiosyncratic TB/cam pulley/crank pulley/injection pump timing engineering solution what was non-common and required special tools and procedures that if not followed resulted in sure catastrophic engine destruction for this extreme interference fit example. Bent valves, damaged pistons, broken camshaft, tappets, etc.
For example, TB R/R requires over 350 lb-ft torque on the crankshaft pulley bolt. Who's shop is set up to achieve that reliably?

On the highway (aware I am going to get flamed for this bigtime:) it is much more refined feeling and less busy than a 4-cyl redblock.

A diesel shop for trucks possibly. What kind of power did it make and what hp and torque could be easily extracted I'm curious. What do you know about some of the newer volvo stuff if you dont think this one is viable for having a little fun.

A diesel shop for trucks possibly. What kind of power did it make and what hp and torque could be easily extracted I'm curious. What do you know about some of the newer volvo stuff if you dont think this one is viable for having a little fun.
The highest-tune factory version was the '90s D24TIC (with intercooler)(we didn't get the IC version in the US) with DIN 90 kW (122 PS; 121 bhp) at 4,800/235 N⋅m (173 lbf⋅ft) at 2,400.

As for the upper limits, those in the Scandinavian countries have the most advanced examples of this. Aren't there YT videos of their tractor pulls?

Sorry, I am not knowledgeable about the newer Volvo diesels.

We owned one a new one in 81 a 244 and was wondering has anyone tuned a turbo version or tried something like biodiesel with it? What does its internals and head look like as compared to gas redblocks?

Regards
Hubert

That's exactly what you said. Quoted so you can't edit your post and change the message. What you said and what you meant may be two different things.

The highest-tune factory version was the '90s D24TIC (with intercooler)(we didn't get the IC version in the US) with DIN 90 kW (122 PS; 121 bhp) at 4,800/235 N⋅m (173 lbf⋅ft) at 2,400.

As for the upper limits, those in the Scandinavian countries have the most advanced examples of this. Aren't there YT videos of their tractor pulls?

Sorry, I am not knowledgeable about the newer Volvo diesels.

Thanks again Tin Tin you can see that is says has anyone tuned a turbo version.

You've been added to my contact list talk to you later....

Last edited:
Back