• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bob George's '82 242 Turbo PROJECT

I just got the car back from the body shop on Wednesday. They fixed a couple spots on the hood and buffed the entire car. Paint looks even better than before. Anyway, I need a NOS or really really nice used piece of black door trim for the passenger side. I have a used one that I'm going to clean up and try, but if someone can find me a NOS one I'd be eternally grateful! Volvo lists it as NLA. The part number is 1247168.

I want this side:
242-right-side-trim.jpg

To look like this side:
242-left-side-trim.jpg
That car is so nice....I hope to one day have a wagon that clean. Also I thought that 244 was Homers for the longest time :lol:
+2

T5 is bolted in. Next steps are adapting the transmission crossmember, hooking up the clutch cable and installing the driveshaft. Lots of fun planned for this weekend :)

82-242-T5-installed-shifter.jpg

Drove the car today and everything feels pretty good. Gear engagement is a bit tough, so the clutch cable will take some adjusting. No rattles or strange noises, and luckily the entire exhaust system fits (since the transmission crossmember was moved to the rear-most mounting points). The only thing that didn't work out is the front O2 bung, so that's just incentive to get the wideband hooked into Megasquirt and use that primarily. Should get a couple weeks of driving in, better than nothing!

82-242-post-T5-install.jpg

Yeah, stock cable. I've got it adjusted almost all the way back. There is a bit of play in the fork as recommended. The disc is a 4 puck Clutchnet unit that is used. Will just take some messing around.

It's a really beautiful morning up here in VT so I gave the 242 a wash and took it over to Shelburne Farms for a little photo shoot. I'm by no means a professional photographer, but some of these came out pretty well.

242-shelburne-farms-3.jpg

242-shelburne-farms-2.jpg

242-shelburne-farms-1.jpg

242-shelburne-farms-5.jpg

242-shelburne-farms-7.jpg

242-shelburne-farms-8.jpg

242-shelburne-farms-9.jpg

242-shelburne-farms-11.jpg

242-shelburne-farms-10.jpg

242-shelburne-farms-13.jpg

242-shelburne-farms-12.jpg

242-shelburne-farms-4.jpg

Last edited:
Any impressions of before vs. after the Dynamat installation? Big difference?

Hard to say, as it went from no interior to full interior + Dynamat. The car is pretty civil just driving around, though. It gets loud when the wastegate dump tube opens (and vents exhaust straight into the cabin up through the shifter hole :lol: )

Very new to Volvo's, very very new to this forum...none-the-less I must say this is one very well built 242. I'd say keep up the good work but it seems like ya got that taken care of already...lol

Wow, it's almost April. Time to get focused on this thing again. It was a such cold winter up here that I really haven't touched the car since the fall.

Recently I've been doing a little re-wiring on the drivers side, running the harness through the fender and hiding the relays, power block, etc. inside the fender. It was just getting messy with the e-fan wiring, euro headlight relay system and everything else. More pics when it's done, but here it is in its once-again-torn-apart form:

82-242-wire-tuck.jpg

Back