• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1983 242 Turbo Flatnose "theory"

the red one with the black front newer style sheetmetal is for sale for $5-6k

It is a true 83 flatnose that was converted to newer style sheetmetal.

It has 94 b230ft LH2.2 split second piggyback, LSD, coilovers, and a 16t.

Nice car, it just needs paint to be perfect.

I think there are a few group A cars with the quad headlights.
eggenberger1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eggenberger-Win...052146541QQcategoryZ36677QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nope, simply not true.
Initially I heard a story that the car pictured was repaired with the US-spec headlights, guards, etc.

The car pictured is, or so I've heard from multiple independent sources, a display vehicle only and while it may have featured many of the group a spec components, it was not a 'race car'.

Nope. I call Shennanigans on that particular Urban Legend.
This car ...
244hill_1a.jpg

... is running a custom manifold now, but was running a standard "early" 740T/760T exhaust manifold for quite a few years.

I call Shennanigans on the custom manifold bizo too. :-P ...maybe...
I drove it late last year when I last visited Canberra. Pretty sure the manifold is not a custom one.

Manifold clearance on RHD 240s isnt urban legend though. There are also mulitple rack to column steering shafts for RHD 240s. Angus might know the specifics of which years had which columns though. There are varying thicknesses and varying locations of the knuckle.

Many of these combinations will only clear with the early style 760T (ugly, fat, square and inefficient) manifold.

But, as you say, it is an easy one to overcome.

I say its not an urban legend, but does require some thought/investigation.

Haven't had time to read this thread yet, But I have a 83 242Turbo flathood. If it is group A, I'm not sure.

Haven't had time to read this thread yet, But I have a 83 242Turbo flathood. If it is group A, I'm not sure.

I don't have the time to read throught the entire thread right now, but can any truth be found in a story a guy told me once about these cars being cut up right down the waist line to shorten the height and reduced the weight of the car! Guy says he talked to one of the crew members from the racing team that told him about it being done, true or not true!?

I doubt the entire car was sectioned like that, but I'm not sure either.
They did V cut at least one racecar's unibody just before the firewall and weld it back together. I was told it was to get more caster and a better suspension geometry.

I've also heard of the car being cut at the firewall to angle the engine bay back. but I don't think they cut the car horizontally to shorten it. body panels may have been lightened though.

hmm, i never saw this thread when i had my flat hood 242. ill say one thing. as far as insurance compinies go, they call it a plain old volvo. only thing they place a higher value on is the 262C and the 780

So I want to comment on this board because 1983" flathood" just sold on eBay for 10k and I wondering if there two different flathood groups. The group A that everyone pines over may have just made it to the American market for just racing reasons then turned back. The car just sold from Reqding PA I called up Volvo North America and they confirmed that it was a flathood but it didn't have any of the upgrades talked about. So I'm wondering if Volvo gave a buyer the option for the flathood?

So I want to comment on this board because 1983" flathood" just sold on eBay for 10k and I wondering if there two different flathood groups. The group A that everyone pines over may have just made it to the American market for just racing reasons then turned back. The car just sold from Reqding PA I called up Volvo North America and they confirmed that it was a flathood but it didn't have any of the upgrades talked about. So I'm wondering if Volvo gave a buyer the option for the flathood?
It's just a standard 83 242 Turbo with an intercooler, flat hood and different grill. They supposedly only made 500 to pass the minimum required for added equipment for the group a race cars. The group a racecars never came to the USA at all.

These 500 are often referred to as "flathood", "flatnose", "homologation car", "Evo" or a handful of other names. The easiest way to tell if it is a real "homologation car" is the SO2476 number stamped into the top right of the strut tower id plate.

They are the most desirable and sought after of all the 240's except for the actual race cars themselves which fetch $80k-$150k now depending on condition and pedigree.

I've also heard this but it came standard with an intercooler and it wasn't until 1984.5 did Volvo put intercooolers on all the turbo's. Which leads me to believe that some of the performance upgrades we're on the "flat nose" cars.

The stamp I wasn't aware of that's interesting. I wonder if this 242 had one.

I've also heard this but it came standard with an intercooler and it wasn't until 1984.5 did Volvo put intercooolers on all the turbo's. Which leads me to believe that some of the performance upgrades we're on the "flat nose" cars.

The stamp I wasn't aware of that's interesting. I wonder if this 242 had one.

I've owned a handful of them and a dozen or so more have passed through my hands, they are just standard 240 Turbos mechanically.

The stamp was present on the car you are referring to. The last pic in the auction is of the id plate.

Back